when do the #'s make sense...or do they ever?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Anonymous, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

what do you think of shooting 1/4u into188 and having it last for 25 hours. last test was at +15 and he was 137.
    then....
    shooting 1/3u into 252 and not 12 hours later he's at 174.

when i put 1/4u of water into syringe and shot it onto my hand the drop was so small i could'nt hardly see it. 1/3 u you can just about see.

is there no rythm or reason? :roll:

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

You know Tom needs a dental Lori, so don't think of this as treating his diabetes. It's more like managing infection. Diabetes makes some sense. Infection doesn't.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

terri you know i don't KNOW for sure he needs a dental and i've heard from a couple of peeps that their cats came out of remission and they thought it was the dental and poor kitties remained 'out of remission'
    i'd like to get a survey on TT and see how often kitties go back after having their dental. i know of at least 2 that did'nt. also remember his original symptoms were not dental like at all. increased hunger and what seemed like muscle mass loss. sure the scale at the vet said he gained weight but it was a different vet and i don't trust the scale....we know our cats.
    also no fever, or any signs of not feeling well, i did a thourough mouth cavity exam and couldn't find anywhere that pressure on a tooth or gums seemed to bother him other than him finding the whole episode annoying.
    i'm not invalidating your thoughts, just not sure it's that....plus have guilt trip over it.
    what's that that gia and quirk say about 'guilt trips are a detour from life'...but i do feel so guilty for not being able to afford all the medical care tom may need :cry:

4. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I agree--guilt trips are a waste of time. If Lucy needed a dental (which she does), she wouldn't get one. Not just because of money but because she has too many other health problems. I thought that was also a concern with Tom.

Lucy's dental infections don't display themselves with fever or the other symptoms we see with bladder infection. I can't believe Tom let's you put your fingers in his mouth! What a good boy....unlike Ms Hell-on-4-Paws who would bite my fingers off. :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

terri we did rule out hyperT. and yes my little lover boy will let me do ANYTHING to him. including let me take him temp rectally. yep. i wuvs him!!!! but you put another cat, especially a male cat in the vicinity and he'll tear him to shreds. he's known to fight to the death. it's terrible. did i ever tell you tom adopted me? he lived with neighbors up the street for 6 years and came to my house every morning to hang out. eventually they asked if i wanted him since they would have to come over at night to pick him up. i said sure but only if they were ok with it. they loved him but he loved me. he had me at meow!

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

My guess would be with pancreas action in the mix, it will be hard to ever make 100% sense of the #s. Good cycles could be when his pancreas is really working it and vice versa, who really knows.

Bix had dental a few months ago (needed badly it turns out, though no sign of infection though he went on preventive ABs just in case). I was really hoping I would see his #s stay in DDs after that, but no go. I haven't noticed any change really - his pancreas was working before the dental, and seems to be at the same pace now. Oh well. But he really needed it and it turned out had a couple of the ROLs (or whatever they are called) that are very painful. His #s actually went up quite a bit a day or so after the dental and I had to shoot higher for a week or so, which freaked me out, but then after that he returned to about where he was before the dental.

Of course ECID, and if it's infection that causes higher BGs (vs. just cr*ppy teeth with no infection) that might explain why some cats get a lot of improvement after dental and others don't.

Just a thought off the top of my head here, no idea if this is medically sound or not, but what about trying a course of ABs (not sure how you'd get them, this is truly a "just popped in my head" random idea here) and see if his #s improve with that? If they do, then at least you would know that? Not sure if that's a good idea or a rotten (haha) one... if so, just pretend I never suggested it. haha_smiley

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh man, don't let Dr. Lisa see this! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.