When it rains it pours!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Joanna & Bix (GA), Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, PZI Land is really rockin' lately, and a newbie (or out of remission-y :sad: ) wave on Health going on too. Are the planets in some weird alignment or something? Or is our day in the sun finally coming? LOL

I can't even keep up, and given that I've been spending WAY too much time here lately, that's saying A LOT!!! :lol:

Just wanted to say I am SOOOOOO glad there are lots of us around right now to be able to help. :D Thanks to everyone for the ongoing contributions..... we make a nice team IMHO, and nice people on Health too helping!

:RAHCAT Oh yeah, we rock!!! :RAHCAT

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Maybe our day in the sun is indeed coming! Maybe the world has heard how much fun we have here, and how cool we all are, and vets from coast to coast are prescribing PZI! Hmm, ok maybe not, but we can dream. ;)

We do make a good team, all of us here, and it's nice when people on Health can alert us and chime in as well. I thought that Vic's reasoning for David (Spicey) was interesting; what did you think? As I said there, it makes sense, although I thought mine made sense too but they are opposite advice so maybe I am just in denial? ;)

I feel as though I can't keep up, either, and I spend way too much time here as well. I don't think we've let anyone fall through the cracks yet, though. :)

Someone the other day on some thread (no, I can't be any more specific ;) ) said that they thought maybe PZI would enjoy sort of a resurgence because of the push by whoever is making PZIR (Bohringer-Ingelheim?) to get the word out and have vets prescribe it, plus the coincidence of Vetsulin's demise at the same time. I thought that was a good point.

Keep up the good work, ladies and Gator! :)

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I wasn't sure I understood what Vic meant actually. I wonder if maybe if their pancreases work, you wouldn't see a food spike at all? But in this case I'm not sure if you could conclude that with a flat # - could be the PZI still working, or could be a not-too-spiky kitty. I posted some notes on the other thread.

Is Vetsulin demised? I didn't know that. It does make sense that PZIR may have a surge - if it really is a PZI Vet equivalent and that's what you've been prescribing thus far, that would be the logical thing.

4. Sarah and Buzz

Yes, she clarified on that post in a note to you. I'm still not really getting it, I think my brain is fuzzy from too much info. ;) I will have to read it again.

Perhaps I misspoke on the Vetsulin. I really just meant that I didn't think many vets would be prescribing it for the new diabetic due to the recall, although I certainly could be wrong. I suppose we will see. :)

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Yea I was thinking the same thing - lots of them with hypo episodes too :-( . I forget the lady's name but she was up most of the night testing her kitty who was in major hypo and did not have the money to go the the emergency vet. If I remember something like 6u. Man... my heart was heavy for her. The folks in health were amazing trying to help her. What an incredible resource FDMB is. It's really incredible what the people do here.

6. Sarah and Buzz

If we are thinking of the same person, that is tajana340, by the name of David (kitty is Spicey). He has another thread going on Health now regarding dosing. We have advised him to drop dose to 0.5u (he had already dropped it 1.0u and still got a good reaction from that).

It is really amazing what the people here do, and just how many people they have helped. I think that every single one of us doesn't know where we would be without the FDMB, or what would have become of our beloved kitties. I give thanks every day for this place. :)

7. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Well I guess I should introduce myself after reading all the posts.

By now you know my cats name is Spice, Spicey, or sometimes i will call her chubbers or Garfield's girlfriend. And I am David.

All I have to say is Thank You guys soooo much. I really thought I was either going to lose spice or have to put her down that nite or i thought is this the beginning of the end. And you guys helped me so much and all the info has been great although I think my brain might explode lol.

She has been doing great the last couple of days and I feel more relieved than ever. I am so glad I found you guys.

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi David,

Sorry for thinking you were a "lady." Oops. I'm glad that the folks in the health forum were able to bring you guys through. I was watching a little as it was happening. What a horrifying experience for you.

Has Spicey gotten over her grumpyness?

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Spice is adorable, I love her markings!!! I think we were all scared for her - I have never seen it when the HC doesn't bring the BGs up some. Of course my experience is limited, but that was pretty scary to see something in the 20s or 30s at what, +16 or something? Usually from what I've with PZI, if you can give HC/syrup through peak (+6 or so), then they are fine after that, even with a big overshoot. Someone said that means the liver is pooped out, which I guess could be an indicator the dose has been too high for some time (I think you said she's been on insulin for a year?). Really sorry that your vet put things in that spot - not to vet bash & your vet may be great, but ... very scary situation that you ended up in.

Sarah, I didn't quite follow with Vic either - I wonder if maybe she's thinking Spice's pancreas has taken over and that's why she is getting this response, and maybe the higher #s are all rebound #s. I know there was a theory at one point that inadvertent hypos can trigger remission, and I read recently that the thinking is now the reverse - those subset of hypos occur *because* the cat is already in remission, and thus does not actually need the shots. I don't know that any of that has really been studied/proven, it may just be anecdotal, and I've no idea about finding the link to what I read, just mentioning as I wonder if that's where Vic was going with it.

Anyhow, so glad Spice is ok now, and things are on track!

10. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

I think that was me... :oops: In my humble put-in-two-cents mode that day...

11. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Unfortunately, Vetsulin has not been recalled. There is an FDA *warning*... ugh. And the vets who are heeding the warning are no longer prescribing the Vetsulin. The mfg also said it will be in short supply and vets need to transition their patients to something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.