Where do you guys buy your syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Miss_Catgirl, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miss_Catgirl

Miss_Catgirl New Member

I recently switched to U-100 syringes, gauge 29, needle length 12.7. I had some questions: does anybody use this type of syringe and where do you usually purchase?

Unfortunately, they don't seem to carry this type of syringe at Walmart anymore. They told me I can't even special order it. They sold me a sample of another syringe ( I think gauge 31) but the lenghth of this new needle is so short I don't think it will work for Gypsy the cat.

I live in the U.S. ( state of FL), do you know if any pharmacy sells U-100 syringes that could work for a kitty?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Reason for edit: I meant U-100! Sorry
  2. Miss_Catgirl

Miss_Catgirl New Member

Sorry! I made a typo, I meant U-100 syringes :)

3. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I always like to get gauge 31, 8mm needle length from Walmart. Yours are bigger/longer than that. Nothing wrong with it but kitties are more comfortable with smaller needles, and in my case helped with fur shots.

5. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Same here, we use 31g and shorter needles. And I forgot to say, if you need syringes with the half-unit markings, these are the ones I use now. I find the lines on the needles to be much more accurate than other brands. But, these have the shorter needle length (and, only 60 in a box for some reason):

https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/5739/ulticare-u100-vet-rx-half-unit-syringes-31g-3-10cc-60ct

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I honestly preferred the CarePoint brand from ADW but I switched to Walmart's brand since they were cheaper (shipping costs). Not that standing in the pharmacy line is any fun either. :rolleyes:

7. Miss_Catgirl

Miss_Catgirl New Member

Thank you so much! That site you posted has really good prices and that syringe on the link is exactly what I was looking for, although now you got me interested in the shorter needle. Haha!

I’m such a newbie at this I thought that cats could only use the longer needles.

8. Miss_Catgirl

Miss_Catgirl New Member

Thank you!! I had no idea shorter needle was better, that is such a good tip, I'm going to get a few of these from Walmart and do a test to see if my cat can handle it, I'm afraid to hurt her! :)

I also love the idea of half unit marks on the syringe. Thanks again!

Panic likes this.
  9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I use the ReliOn ones too. Minnie seems to mind them a lot less as in I think it doesn’t hurt as opposed to the longer needles. I’ve ordered from Chewy before but not sure about the 29 gauge

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The 31 gauge syringes at WalMart are thinner and more comfortable for your cat. The needle is more than long enough to get the insulin into the sub-q space too. 29 gauge are thicker than 31 gauge

A cat's skin is 0.4 to 2 mm thick....a 6mm or 8mm needle is more than long enough to get where it needs to go!

The WalMart syringes have half unit marks too but a lot of pharmacy techs will swear to you that they don't. ALL their 3/10ml syringes come with half unit marks

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Chris. It was weird for me at first because they’re shorter but once I got used to them, I liked them way better because they’re a lot easier to inject with/use

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.