? Which food is best

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat_Rod, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat_Rod

Cat_Rod New Member

Hello I am new to this forum. I would to see if anyone can please provide me with some advice- i recently learned that my cat is diabetic. I have began injecting her with insulin. I suspect that i may being giving her the wrong food. Vet suggested to give her fancy feast gourmet naturals -pate. I dont know my head from my own rear when it comes to figuring out carbs, protein, fats... just being honest. Hey glucose is still in 300 and even high 400s. What food has helped everyones cat manage their diabetics?
    Thank you

2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to you and your kitty.

Because you've already started treating your cat with insulin, for safety it is vital that you are home testing her blood glucose levels before starting a diet transition, reason being that if you reduce the carb load in her diet then overall BG levels may drop significantly and the dose of insulin may therefore need to be reduced. More info about safely transitioning a diabetic cat on insulin to a lower carb diet can be found at the following link:

https://catinfo.org/feline-diabetes/

If you're not already home testing, we can help you to learn how and we can also suggest where to get reasonably priced testing supplies. Here's a helpful resource:

Home testing links and tips

You can post for any help that you may need with the transition. :)

Mogs

4. Cat_Rod

Cat_Rod New Member

Thank you for letting me know about pate! Because i felt really bad. LIKE A BAD MOTHER. you're comment just made me feel so much better. Peace of mind that.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Cat_Rod

Cat_Rod New Member

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice because i am so knew to this. In fact i am also new to cats in general. You see my cat Luna adopted me about 15 yrs ago. She not your average cat. She a dog trapped in a cats body. She actually beats up my pitbull and all my pitbulls ive had in the past. LoL So i am not the best at reading her. I am having major issues with getting her to eat on a schedule. This way she's always been on the fluffy side. Each time i have tried to put her on a diet or on a eating schedule she bites my love handles, smacks the dresser making super loud bang bang sounds 8 to 12 times at night. Bites my ankles or parents ankles. She takes out her anger of not being feed on dogs. Then she literally tries to take over dogs food while dogs are eating and growling at her. Any advice on how i can get her on a feeding schedule that will alllow to have a good night sleep?

Currently we have been monitoring her glucose through a 14 day sensor the vet put on her. I simply tap my phone on senor and get the reading. I think its called libre link (or something similar to that) i use to think dogs were smarter than cats. Now I think CATS ARE WAY MUCH SMARTER THAN DOGS!

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

• when you get a chance ,It would be helpful if you can set up your signature so we don't have to ask you the same questions over again. Members will look at this first . Members would have to look up your previous posts to see what insulin you are using
    • It appears after each post in gray, look at mine,

• On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save ,
    Welcome to the best place you could ever be and an awesome group of people
    You can also add where you live in your profile, not your signature

This is at the bottom of every ones post in grey

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

I posted the directions for your signature above so we know what type of insulin you are using. How many units you are shooting, etc
    Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pates, you will see them on the food chart that
    Hercule's Mum posted for you

What are you feeding now?
    How many cans ?
    Is she under weight?
    How much does Luna weigh?
    Any dry food?

We like to stay under 10% carbs which the Fancy Feast Classic Pates are.
    They are either 2 or 3 % carbs look at the food list
    We try to limit any fish flavors. Once in a while is OK
    I don't feed any fish flavors

Mostly all of us feed the bigger meal in the AM and then in the PM
    right after we test their BG
    Then we will feed aboutv3 smaller meals during each 12 hour cycle, maybe about 3 tablespoons or so

The only time we withhold food is 2 hours prior to testing then in the AMPS
    (AM Pre-Shot) and the PMPS (PM Pre-Shot). We don't want the reading to be food influenced

We also use a spreadsheet to record our cais BG readings thru the day and night
    to see how the insulin is working and how low it's dropping their BG and when
    We can talk about that later on when you begin to home test.
    If you ever need advice on dosing we will need to see the spreadsheet and her BG numbers

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

See you are using the Freestyle Libre, let us know when you plan on home testing
    We can definitely help you out with that and suggest what meter to buy and supplies

I doubt you will keep putting on the Libre forever :cat:
    Home testing is the only way to keep your kitty safe

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This link will also provide some repetition of what Diane posted. It's a link to information that we encourage people to provide -- both their signature and information on how to set up a spreadsheet where you can track your test data. It also provide information on what you will need if your cat is in low numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.