Why are we climbing?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RobinHarley, Nov 10, 2018.

1. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

AMPS 357 +6 358 +9 394

I'm afraid our PMPS is going to be in the 400s again.

I thought the past two days it was because, Day 1: we missed lunch time as I was out of town still. Renal kitties food I accidentally left down and he got into it, ate it, it was kibble. Day 2: I figured he got into the little dogs food we leave out all day.

Today we put the little dogs food up. He's climbing again. Don't get me wrong, we aren't near nice numbers yet... but for where we were hovering... we weren't hitting the 400s.

Though... he has transitioned to full soft food in the same time frame (about 4 days now, going on 5). It is a mixture of friskies pate and purina d/m canned (until it is gone). Up until this he was eating Purina d/m kibble and purina d/m canned.

Ideas? or just a "just because" situation...

P.S we sent our log in, vet is emailing back Monday with an increase

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It could be for any or all of those reasons. Stuff happens.
    It looks like Harley could use an increase to 1.5 units bid.

3. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

So if that did happen these past two days it could still be having an effect?

Thank you! 1.5 - 2 units is what I recommended to my vet. So I think that is what he'll have us do.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

For your consideration...
    Increasing the dose by a whole unit can be too much for cats on lower doses. Generally speaking, you want to increase by only a half unit at a time given what you're seeing now. You're better off with a half unit increase than increasing by a whole unit even if it means another dose increase sooner than later.

5. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

Thank you. That is good to know. I will make note of that.