Wildly Varying BG Levels

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MattT, Oct 11, 2020.

1. MattT

MattT New Member

Hello all,
    Our cat Dora was recently diagnosed with diabetes. We’re about 3 weeks into treating her with PZI 100, 1 unit twice per day. We've been testing her BG regularly and logging the results on a spreadsheet.

We’ve also attempted to do curves twice by taking 6 samples every two hours. The first curved seemed to be as expected. Starting near 400bg, dropping to 81(yes I know that’s low. The vet was contacted) at the lowest point and then back up to near 400 after 12 hours. The most recent curve started around 200 and ended up being near 400 after 12 hours.

Additionally, normal daily tests results vary as well. Some mornings she will show 150ish, so we will administer a half dose and other days she will show 3-400.

Does anyone have any experience with such results? Is this a bad sign? Thank you in advance.

2. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Wendy 17 and Merlin Member

This sounds similar to my kitty, Merlin.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Matt and Dora! I’m so glad you’re home testing. If you can use our spreadsheet to log your numbers, it will help us to see what’s going on with Dora. Here are the instructions to set it up https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Also let us know what meter you’re using as well as what and how often you are feeding. It sounds like Dora may be bouncing. That’s when her bg drops lower than she’s use to and her body reacts by releasing glucose and thus a higher bg, but to be sure we need to see the spreadsheet.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  4. MattT

MattT New Member

Thank you for the fast response!

We will certainly check out that spreadsheet. We’re using the iPet Pro and feeding her 3oz cans off FF classic twice a day just prior to giving her insulin.

“Bouncing” sounds promising. It seems to indicate that her little pancreas hasn’t given up entirely and that remission is a possibility. That’s our hope at this time.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Great! When you get the spreadsheet set up, post here and I’ll tag a couple members with more experience using prozinc to help you.