would like some input

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, May 24, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

so my goal was to go back up to 2.6 after the crash on 5/15 but I had travel booked. Then she hit 53 on 2.5 on 5/19 so I held again. Traveling this week a lot. Should I hold 2.5 for the sitter or reduce a bit even if only to 2.4? Also received my Lantus script... most of my travel done for a bit after June 3rd. Should I try 2.6 again or move on to Lantus ?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

This makes me sad to say, because I really appreciate your help over here... but looking at your spreadsheet, I think you really have to start Lantus. Prozinc just isn't a good fit for Little, and she needs to be getting better results. Lantus isn't going to magically make your spreadsheet all blue and green, but should allow you to increase her dose without so much drama.

As for 2.6, I don't think I'd do it unless you're going to be home to monitor this week. Since it sounds like it's only a week until you can switch, I think I'd just hold steady. If you are going to be around, you could go for it, but I still think you're going to need to switch on the 3rd.

<<And PS, you can still help out over here ;)>>

As for Lantus, do you know about Mark's in Canada? https://rxcanada4less.com/insulin.html That's the best place to order since Lantus is so pricey in the states. You'll need to order asap if you're going to start next week.

3. Lisa and little

Thanks Djamila. Wasn’t looking to up her now as I am gone this weekend for 2 days and next weekend as well. Was wondering if I should lower from 2.5 for sitter or hold? We did have a 53 on the 2.5. The question about the 2.6 was for June 3 rd when I will be home with no travel booked for a few weeks. So you are saying I should bite the bullet and switch then instead of giving 2.6 one more “college try?” I’m just scared as I still don’t get the depot thing... is the depot long term as in it builds cycle after cycle or only a reserve for the current cycle? Call me chicken LITTLE

4. Djamila

Oh sorry! Misread that! I think I'd probably keep the dose the same for the sitter. Remind me...are you feeding twice/day? or leaving food out? If twice/day, I would really encourage getting a timed feeder since you're traveling a lot. It will help Little, and your peace of mind when you can't be there.

And yes, i would just do the switch. Even if 2.6 gave you better mid-cycle numbers once in awhile, it isn't going to fix what I'm seeing in the spreadsheet. I really do think Little needs a longer acting insulin.

Honestly the L's aren't as different from prozinc as people like to think. They are just more predictable, which is really nice if you have an unpredictable cat.

I would be afraid to wade into the depot discussion. I don't think the way it's often described around here is particularly accurate if you look at the actual research on it. Think of what you read about the depot here as more of a metaphor that is used to try to explain to non-science-y people how it works. Just know that you can shoot on lower numbers, and get more predictable results. When you switch, it will be just like when you started here. You'll shoot, collect data, see how Little responds, and go from there. While change is scary, you're actually moving to an insulin that is much less scary than the one you're using now.

It might help to study this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6xUNhw2j647-12kr4C646uJVM/edit#gid=1158035550

If you start on the 2018 tab, you can see Mia on Prozinc, and then see what happens after a couple of months on Levemir. On the Prozinc tab you'll see similar patterns to what Little gives you: the pre-shot numbers were too high, the mid cycles were meh, then sometimes she would dive into the lime greens for no reason, then back up too high again. After a couple of months on a longer acting insulin, you can see better numbers emerging, and now she's got a lovely spreadsheet of blues and greens, and is flirting with a possible honeymoon. No guarantees on that last part, but the improvement is undeniable, and quite typical. Most longer-term kitties don't go into remission, but you should see some healing emerge after the switch.

And if not, you can always come back :bighug:

5. Lisa and little

Thanks so much so just do what I did when staring PZI and figure it out... I can live with that. She does only eat 2x a day and I hate it but even A timed feeder won’t work here as I’d have to leave food for 2 kitties and I guarantee she’d eat both portions ... she constantly goes after ALL the food even at feeding time. I have to stand guard and make sure my Molly gets to eat - one more thing. If I’m ordering the pens do most order 5 at a time from Marks? I assume the expiration date would be far enough away to do so?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. Djamila

Yes, most people order five pens. You can also just order one. It's more expensive per pen, but it can give you time to try it out before you commit to the whole pack. Either way is fine. The expiration date is far enough away, and they keep well. Lantus isn't nearly as sensitive as Prozinc. Most human diabetics carry it around in their bags/backpacks/etc., bumping and jostling and changing temperature all day.

You could think of the timed feeder as just being Little's snacks, and make sure Molly gets enough food at meal times that she'll be okay without the snacks. Little is the one that really needs the mid-day boost anyway. I have the opposite problem - my civvie will steal all of the food much of the time. I know that Sam can hold his own when he really needs to, so I try not to worry about it, but Atty is faster at getting to the feeder. I tried two feeders for awhile, but Atty started to get fat :rolleyes:.

7. Lisa and little

Lol. I thought of 2 feeders but pretty sure Little wouldn’t be little for long!! Thanks for all your help and input. So appreciated. :bighug:

Djamila likes this.