Wrong Way Kitty on AMPS - Dose ?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa and Poopy, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this before. First AMPS 195. Second 180. I've tried telling Poopy he's headed the wrong way but hes not listening.

Who am I kidding? He's a cat!

This is the second morning his AMPS have been below 200 (had to poke him 3 different times - 20 minutes apart - yesterday to get the 207). Thinking I need to lower his dose a touch...say 1.2u? Or is being under the 200 a good thing?

2. Teresa and Poopy

Third 181

Seems he's stuck. Will try again in 20 minutes.

3. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Make sure that his numbers are rising before you shoot.

I agree that a dose decrease is in order, 1.2u sounds like a good choice.

Being under 200 is awesome and what we are all trying for. It just makes the dance more interesting.

4. Teresa and Poopy

Alrighty then. Fourth 175. He's stuck, and getting very irritated at me for not feeding him. Don't I know the routine?

"Mom, you stick me then I get the gooey goodness. What gives? Where's the goodness? What's with this carb free treat crap? I want my food!"

He's parked at his bowl, with civvie standing by (can't feed her and expect him not to push her aside).

If he doesn't go up, what then? No shot? Argh!

The fancy footsteps of this dance has my toes sore. :smile:

5. Teresa and Poopy

Fifth 189, and boy is Poopy getting upset!

"Where is my food, woman!"

6. Rob & Harley (GA)

You don't want to skip the shot.

With meter variance those numbers are all about the same but this is uncharted territory soooo I might reduce even more since you will be leaving for work. You may lose some momentum but better safe than sorry, I think anyway.

It's up to you, go with your gut instinct. You can be braver if you know you can go home to test mid cycle and are able to intervene with food if his numbers go lower than you are comfortable with.

Remember bg's in the 50's are ok, feed regular low carb food to bring him up some.

You probably already know all of this, just a reminder.

7. Teresa and Poopy

Thank you for the input, Rob. It helps me focus. :D

Ok, here's what I am thinking. The effects of his last dose should have worn off by now. It's possible his pancreas is trying to help out, hence the lower BGs, but he still needs help with insulin.

My boss has been pretty cool about me dashing off home to test but I don't want to abuse the privilege (takes 25-30 minutes for each "dash"). Two dashes and I can call it lunch.

He's been on 1.4u, with AMPS in the high to low 200s (low since the 1.6u). Now he's just under. If I give 1.0u, that shouldn't be enough to hypo and just enough to keep him going. Sound reasonable? Then again, I keep thinking about half sounds better, as in .8u.

I can test again in a few minutes, so will finish getting ready for work, avoiding the evil eyes, and go from there.

8. Rob & Harley (GA)

Your plan sounds reasonable. If you can test mid cycle I would go with 1u and see how it goes, that way next time you will know if it was enough or not enough. That is, if his next test is the same or up.

9. Teresa and Poopy

Going to go with 1u and test at +4 and go from there. If I end up making more than two trips home, so be it. Poopy is that important to me (and I'm lucky to be able to do it).

Thanks again, Rob. :smile:

Is it too early to hope for Mr. Pancreas to wake up and start working properly? :?:

10. Rob & Harley (GA)

Nope, it's not to early to hope that Mr. P will start helping out. That's why I don't think you should back off too much.

Have a great day. Keep us updated. :D

11. Teresa and Poopy

+4 231 with Poopy snacking on leftovers from breakfast (so not sure how much he's been snacking in between). At least it keeps him out of hypo but will need to increase his PM shot by the looks of it.

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like he will be higher tonight. So the next time you have a lower amps, you can look back at today's data and figure you could shoot a little more.

Regardless, he and you are doing very well!

13. Rob & Harley (GA)

Don't give up on this cycle yet. He has been snacking and if this is a better dose he might not peak for another 2 to 4 hours. We want the curve to look like a gentle smile, not a nosedive at +4 and then going up the rest of the day.

Looking over your ss you were going to have to decrease the dose soon anyway. The 1.4u was starting to look like a tich too much. Before this morning I was going to suggest 1.2u or 1.3u depending on how good your eyesight and measuring skills are :lol: .

14. myboo99

myboo99 Member

Looks like Poopy & Bitty are in the same boat this morning! However I fed him b/c I have 4 other civvies that were about to burn down the house if I didn't feed them. I went with .5 at +14 which was a reading of 390 so I guess like you we'll just have to wait & see what happens. :shock: Hopefully these guys level out soon!!

15. Teresa and Poopy

I'm not sure how much food has played a part. When I left for work, 1/3 of the food was gone. When I returned 4 hours later, 2/3 of the food was gone. When I added water to "freshen" it, Poopy snacked a bit more (he really likes the "gravy" adding water makes).

His afternoon numbers will tell us a story either way though, you're right. I'm just glad his numbers went up instead of down. :mrgreen:

It would be nice if he'd choose a set dance step and stick to it, though. LOL Yeah. Right.

16. Some rules of the sugardance....

Only kitty can hear the music.
    Kitty leads, you follow.
    You avoid stepping on his toes paws.

17. Teresa and Poopy

Pfft. I'm stepping on MY toes! LOL

Poopy is as graceful as ever (darn cat!). dancing_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.