Wynk has a UTI

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Cara and Wynken (GA), Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Cara and Wynken (GA) Member

I posted in the main forum, but didn't get any answers… So I went ahead and posted my question on the Facebook page. Now I think I'm really really sorry…

This morning Wynken acted like he had a urinary tract blockage. I thought this was really odd, since he had had a urethrostomy about six years ago. He has not had any urinary troubles since the surgery. ( he used to block all the time )

One of the reasons I knew something was really wrong was he did not allow me to get his AMPS, this morning. He's been good 99% of the time.... He kept jumping down off the bench where a test him and going in the litter box. I wasn't sure if this had to do with me dosing him with pro fender yesterday... Wasn't sure... BUT He was eating well, so I gave insulin. I ran home at lunch to check on him, fully committed to taking him to the vet if I thought he was blocked. Even though he was resting comfortably (BG of 421!) I found only little teeny tiny Pee balls in the litter box. So I called and they recommended bringing him in. He got a really good examination including an ultrasound. He was not blocked, but they were able to get some urine (cysto) and analyze it at their internal lab. There was blood present and white blood cells, so the vet recommended and gave a Convenia injection.

My main question tonight was whether it was safe to give him D mannose powder on his food which I had learned was good for urinary tract issues some months ago.

Although this question was basically answered (it's safe)... I got a lot of very negative information about allowing him to get Convenia. Now I am sad and scared - and I feel stupid for not knowing enough to ask that a culture and sensitivity test be run. :(

Thoughts?

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Well, don't feel stupid. Your vet picked an antibiotic; you aren't an expert. I know that some cats have had issues with Convenia, but not every cat. In fact, I have seen no cat whose bean has posted about it who had a bad reaction. I would just keep an eye on him.

The important thing is that you figured out he had an issue and got it diagnosed. And the UTI helps explain some of his wonky numbers. If he has been in some pain and had an infection, that can definitely elevate the levels.

As my mother always said, "99% of the things you worry about never happen". I am going with that.

Cara and Wynken (GA) likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Cara, you're not stupid for not knowing about Convenia. I think the problem with it is unlike other antibiotics which are in and out, Convenia stays in the body a long time. As long as your cat doesn't have a bad reaction to it you'll be fine. I have several friends who have used it and haven't had any problems at all. :bighug:

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Cara, please don't feel stupid. Back in Sept, Bubba had a dental and they gave him Convenia and I had forgotten that it was posted here that it could be dangerous. I was horrified when I got home and reread my notes from here and saw that it was Convenia. If there is going to be any problems, it will happen right away. So, don't panic but be vigilant and if there is any issues as to not acting right, just get him seen ASAP. And that said, Sue was right, only a small amount of cats develop a problem. Bubba did not have any and that said, I have it on his chart that he should NEVER get another Convenia injection. The reasoning: You can't take something out of their bodies that continues to work up to 30 plus days if there is a reaction to it. Just keep you eye on him for anything out of the ordinary like shortness of breath, drooling, lethargic,and not eating. I hope this makes you feel better.

5. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Thanks Sue and Sharon. That makes me feel better. He seems absolutely fine. In fact if I had to say he's already feeling better.

I don't think that the issue existed before this morning, however. There were absolutely no symptoms… And he was letting me test him and all of the urine balls were large in the litter box.

So I'm not sure we can blame his blood sugar being all over the place on anything except him being a complete weirdo. o_O

6. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Bobbi - you are so sweet! Thanks for your encouragement, as well! I absolutely am keeping a very close eye on him tonight. He seems really really good. I love all of you! :bighug:

My mood has gone from rock bottom to feeling much much better in just an hour. :joyful:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That's what this forum is all about. Helping each other! :bighug:

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Cara! Just to reassure you...my cats have had Convenia and had no issues. Tigress had it before I knew it was bad for cats. Elektra has had it twice I think...the first time with Tigress, the second time because the first antibiotic I gave didn't work and she is...mostly impossible to dose. Neither has ever shown a bad reaction and it did clear up the UTI (well the first time at least. Elektra had a rash of them a few months back and it took several different tries to get it right). As everyone has said, if nothing has happened yet, it's highly unlikely it will.

Did they give pain meds or anything?

Also, don't feel dumb about the C&S. My vet told me once they don't do that at first usually to try to save some money. If I had to bring mine in again, I'd ask for one, but most vets don't suggest it first and most of us don't know to ask. How would you??

I haven't used D-Mannose, though I've been considering it. I have used ACV in the past, though I don't really know if it resolved the issue or not.

9. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Thank you Rachel! It's good to know that you also didn't have any issues with your kitty cats. It sounds as though you (like almost everyone else seems to be saying) believe that now that we know better, we do better… Correct? So in other words I don't think I will just allow Convenia to be given anymore unless it's a last resort. I'm pretty sure most of my kitties have had it at least once for one reason or another. It's hard not to freak out, though, when someone is extremely opinionated and starts posting information that seems very scary!

Next time, I will know to ask about the culture and sensitivity… And I won't hesitate to ask for it. I will admit that I like the convenience (!) of just one shot. Probably all of us can identify with trying to dose antibiotics into a cats mouth two or three times a day for several days. But if that's what's best for them, then we have to do it.

My baby is definitely feeling a lot better, now! I did sprinkle the D mannose on his dinner. I don't think it's actually effective other than as a preventative… But I have read some people believe that it can help clear the infection up faster. I hope tomorrow he will go back to letting me check his sugar !

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Cara! Pretty much...you didn't know about Convenia. Nothing you can do to change that now, so just know about it for next time! It is scary when people start posting information like that. I do think it comes from a good place...but the way people were saying it on FB was a bit frightening.

I think that is part of the reason vets give Convenia...they know one shot is easiest for people, they can be sure the kitty is getting the antibiotic, etc. Generally, there are better antibiotics for a UTI...but you'll know that for next time! As a side note: last time Elektra had a liquid antibiotic, I mixed it in just a bit of tuna in the morning and evening to give her. She got wise to me pretty fast, but at first, she lapped it right up! After a few days, I had to lock her in a room by herself with it to protect it from the other cats. She didn't like that...but since you feed separately, it might be worth something to you if you have to give other meds! :)

11. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Rachel, I hadn't thought about that! You are absolutely right and as long as he would eat the antibiotic in his food, that would be a great way to dose him.

He is always an extremely hungry boy… So that might work! I will definitely ask for that next time. This morning, he was feeling much better. :D

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Glad he is feeling better this morning, Cara. And I hope you are too!

Hopefully we can get him back on track. An infection plus antibiotic can impact the numbers for a couple cycles, but who know, he might give us some more predictable numbers soon. Paws crossed

13. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Thanks, Sue. I am letting him have a little bit higher carb content in his food. Not by very much… But I think he finds his meals more satisfying when there's a little bit more there and a little bit higher carb. I still think I'm under 5%. I am also adding water and the D mannose. I want him HAPPY.

Sue and Oliver (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That is so important, Cara. It is so easy to start looking at them as just a number, especially when their numbers are as unpredictable and frustrating as Wynken's have been. If he is playing, preening, eating well, doing his normal things, pooping and peeing regularly and happy, those indicators are huge!

15. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Cara, don't feel bad. I probably won't let my cat get Covenia any more, but Murphy has had it at least 4 times with no ill effects. If it was THAT dangerous, it would be taken off the market. And next time you will know about the C&S (and actually, it's probably more important for next time as danger of antibiotic resistance increases with increasing number of UTIs. My understanding is that the D-mannose is the same chemical compound that makes cranberries useful in preventing UTIs (but not 100% sure) Sometimes, these forums can be too judgmental - that's why I love this prozinc forum because it is not So no worries - lots of kudos for picking up the UTI so quickly and getting it taken care of!!

16. Cara and Wynken (GA)

He is doing all of those things. The only thing that is bothering him right now is that with the bitter cold weather outside I have taken the flap door that allows him to go outdoors out of the sliding glass window. And I have closed the window. He is so frustrated because he wants out so badly ! He's been such a good boy, and has had to learn to eat without his sister ( stealing from her, I mean!). And he has lost about 7 ounces over the last few weeks with me monitoring the amount that I feed him. So we're going to take a break from the diet. And I'm going to try to just maintain his weight at 14 pounds. He enjoys his meals so much!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  17. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Carol, thank you for the reassurance and making me feel good about getting Wynk taken care of... I think we all feel the same about these little tiny fur babies. They become the most important things in our life! I have actually started to avoid asking any questions myself on FB, although I read and try to gently answer questions in the hyperthyroid and CKD forums. I'm not sure why some people feel like they need to scare the hell out of you. I'm trying to believe that it comes from a good heart, and they are genuinely concerned about what might happen to your kitty. Oh well - it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around!

18. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

HI--
    I had no idea about the possible reactions of convenia (keep in mind there are possible reactions with any drug) in the past and my 2 cats have both had it and they were just fine… no reaction at all except the infection was gone :)
    Since I have learned more I opt for clavamox or another in and out if possible but 1 of mine is a stinker and he has never had a reaction so he would most likely get a shot of convenia as it has never caused him harm before and if I can't catch him I can't pill him….For me it is about picking my battles as long as I know they tolerate it well.
    It sounds like your kitty is not having a negative reaction so take a deep breath !!
    :bighug:

19. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

If only I could count the times that I have said and continue to say, "if I only knew." We must remind ourselves that we do not know everything...so please don't beat yourself up. I have read that Convenia can stay in the system for as long as two months. So if a cat doesn't have complications from this med, it seems to me a pretty good idea to have a one shot antibiotic that will help the UTI for a couple of months. Anyway, I have only been on this forum for a couple of years and fortunately, I have not heard of anyone having complications from giving Convenia. But from reading previous warnings, I too, have on my cat's records, "Do not use Convenia and Metacam." Metacam is a pain med. I guess there is a FDA black box warning on the med so I think Metacam is being used less and less for cats. I have read that Metacam could cause renal failure in cats if used in long term cases. All medications have side effects and you never know when your animal or yourself will have complications or not. So glad Wynken is feeling much better.

20. Cara and Wynken (GA)

Thank you Jayla and Cindi. I am going to put a warning on my kitties' records as well to not use Convenia, but rather discuss a targeted antibiotic regimen with for a given culture/infectious organism. I have never been offered or heard of Metacam. Sounds like it's an even worse problem.

It's like you have to become a nurse or some type of medical professional yourself in order to truly understand everything that you need to do. I have lots of geriatric cats, and I find that I'm learning a huge amount of pharmacology, in order to support them correctly. :bookworm:

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  21. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Metacam is a bad choice. My vet told me not to use it...she said that she would have prescribed it, but it can cause renal failure. She figured with my luck, it would happen, so she warned me off. If a vet warns you that it can cause problems...you know that's bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.