Yay Yellows!! Dosing input/SS review welcomed

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tucker'sMom-Jen, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker'sMom-Jen

Tucker'sMom-Jen Member

Today is the first curve where Tucker has been in the yellows from start to +8 and I am so very happy to seen consistency if not an actual "curve". I haven't checked a +10 only because the +8 test just happened and will update the SS in 2 hrs.

Looking back to last night he was yellow then too.

Since Tucker is on prednisolone permanently I wonder if he will ever really curve. The pred and the insulin seem to peak about the same time and I think having stable numbers may be the best to hope for. I don't know, thinking "out loud" really.

I have remained at the 4u dose while the bounce from the other night settled down. Any thoughts on a dose increase versus staying with 4u?

Thanks,
    Jen

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Those yellows do look nice, Jen. We call a cycle with all the same range numbers a surf. Interesting that he didn't really get a smile curve, and that technically he is still dropping. It is possible that he might be in the yellows for pmps. If he would drop below 200 for preshot, I would stall until he is rising (or give him the pred) and then maybe shoot a smidge less than 4.

I can't be sure about a dose increase. It's so difficult to tell exactly what effect the pred has on his numbers and makes it hard to predict what might happen. If he were a "normal" diabetic cat with no extra issues, I would say he definitely could use an increase. If you want to raise the dose, I would just be sure you will be around to test and see what it does. He certainly has room to drop - as long as he doesn't throw you any curveballs. :mrgreen:

Your first goal (and maybe your only goal for him) would be regulation. We generally consider a cat regulated if they are in the mid to lower 200s at preshot and in double digits at nadir, but not below 40. So he is on the pre shot range, just needs a drop in the middle of the cycle.

3. Tucker'sMom-Jen

Tucker'sMom-Jen Member

Hi Sue!

I think I may ride out a couple more days at 4u to see what happens. Unless something wonky happens...
    Regulated is the goal - I absolutely agree! I would be shocked if he was able to go otj but just cannot see that happening. As long as he feels better!

Thanks for checking in on us.
    :mrgreen:

4. Tucker'sMom-Jen

Tucker'sMom-Jen Member

Well, wonky happened. +10 was 311 and PMPS 323. Tucker hadn't eaten and the only other thing he got was a treat with testing so my thinking is the pred has a longer duration than the insulin. I gave him 4u and will see how he is in the morning. I may be increasing tomorrow but wonder if .5 is too big of an increase? I am using U-40 syringes but can give fat or skinny doses by eyeballing...

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that could be expected. The insulin should only last 12 hours so he should start up by +10 or so. He just got a flat surf earlier today. If you increase, how about a fat 4 at first? You can always increase again after 3 cycles.

6. Tucker'sMom-Jen

Tucker'sMom-Jen Member

I like that plan. Hopefully giving a fat 4 instead of 4.5 will prevent a bounce? We will see what tomorrow's AMPS looks like. I'm guessing he is low 300s again. So glad he loves all the extra attention testing so frequently gets him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.