? Yikes! What is that! (pics)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

This cat is determined to give me a scare every time I look at him!

For anyone that remembers, I posted a little over a month ago that my mom's cat Socks had a "chin injury" that turned out to be a severe case of feline acne. Took him to the vet who gave him a shot (he said cortisone, his assistant wrote Convenia (!!) on the bill so idk what it actually was at this point) and I've been using Stridex acne wipes as recommended about every other day. It hasn't cleared up completely but it looks MUCH better.

Cue today, I was trying to take a peek under his chin to see the progress and I find this blob on his neck!!
    upload_2020-8-12_19-7-10.png upload_2020-8-12_19-7-27.png upload_2020-8-12_19-7-44.png

It's mostly flat and feels scabby, I picked gently at it to see if it would come off and it flakes a bit. Coincidence? Or could there be some contact dermatitis going on? He's not itchy at all and wasn't bothered by me poking at it. I have experience with flea allergies woes and this isn't the same. I can take him to the vet when they come into town next week (I feel like it isn't that dire of an issue to put him through the trouble of going to a vet clinic while I wait outside without him - the mobile vet still lets us stay with our pets). I have clindamyclin on-hand but am hesitant to use anything.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Don't want to scare you, but I'd say either staphyloccus spp bacteria infection with yellow puss underneath inside it or on surface .... Or a type of skin cancer.
    Yes, do have your mobile vet check it out.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

This poor Socks they even have to get freaking chin acne and now this
    Let us know what the vet says it is next week Elizabeth :cat:

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

:eek: I hope not!! Ugh 2020 leave us alone already you've hurt us enough!!

I sure will! I can potentially take him Friday, he'll be in the next town over, Socks will just be upset at the extra long drive.
    I've read bacterial infections can occur from chin acne so I'm hoping it's something a little easier to treat, though you just can never guess, too many diseases match up with each other.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Let's think positive and hope it's nothing serious

6. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the good ol days, when weird stuff showed up on the animals and disappeared after a couple weeks no problem. :rolleyes: Ignorance is bliss I tell ya!

7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

My babies had fungal infections that also caused scaling and hair loss. Some anti-fungal cream did the job.
    Good luck with the vet visit. Here's hoping it turns out to be nothing major.

Dusty & Roe likes this.
  8. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Is he being fed in a plastic bowl?

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

He might have just scratched himself and its got infected.
    I would try bathing it in some salty warm water with cotton wool to soften the scaby area to see what is underneath.
    Do you have any topical cat ointments? ...Neosporin ointment might do the trick

Dusty & Roe and Critter Mom like this.
  10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh lordy Elizabeth! Socks is determined to be the death of all of us! lol I DO hope it isnt something serious. Sending healing vines!
    Btw I started using witch hazel on Zoes acne and its clearing up. I have no idea if that is even option in Socks case.
    GOOD LUCK!:bighug:
    j

Dusty & Roe likes this.
  11. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oh! I do have anti-fungal cream I used on my own tomcat for a fungal infection once. I guess I should wait for confirmation but that would be an easy problem!

Nope, ceramic. He's an incredibly messy eater though.

Thanks Bron, I'll try to convince him to let me bathe it (he's one of those "no touchy!" cats :rolleyes:). Yes, I could try some Neosporin too!
    Right?? Thanks so much Jeanne!
    Oh I've been meaning to ask you how it went with Zoe! Socks gets extremely offended whenever I use the wipes on him but it's looking better, just a couple bumps now. I'm not sure if it was the shot that helped or the wipes, it took a few days before it stopped oozing. :confused:

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If it does not clear up or new spots appear, have the vet check for ringworm. My dog has something similar and that is what it is. If you are touching near that area, you probably should wear gloves. If it is ringworm, that can be transmitted to you.

13. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Thanks Lisa, I thought about that too. That would be a disaster to tackle with all the little ones we have. :eek:

Dusty & Roe likes this.
  14. jt and trouble (GA)

Zoe too was offended by the wiping. What I did was, soak a cotton ball with the WH and just held it in place. It seemed to calm her and actually sooth her. Like you, I dont know which worked better the peroxide or the wh but I have to say, she fights less with the witch hazel. Go figure:confused:
    sending healing vines!

Dusty & Roe likes this.
  15. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Elizabeth I say it looks like Socks scratched and infected the area . I can’t wait to hear what this can be I feel so bad for you and Socks poor little guy

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  16. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You could be right Roe! Yesterday I cleaned it with warm water and dabbed a bit of Neosporin on it and this morning the scab had mostly flaked off and is showing fresh unblemished skin underneath!

17. jt and trouble (GA)

18. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Any luck with getting a vet to see the patch?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  19. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Panic Hi Elizabeth, what ever happened with Socks and the spot under his chin.

20. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

The scab flaked off on its own and the skin is fresh underneath :cat: Hair is growing back!

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm happy to hear that Elizabeth, have a good day :cat:

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  22. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Eiizabeth
    So happy to hear that good news for Socks - we were routing for you both after seeing those pics! And I've learnt something new as I never knew cats could get acne - always said cats were like kids and now it appears they get the same issues as teenagers - but hopefully without the mood swings !
    Hoping Socks & you can now have a nice worry-free time to relax & have lots of kitty cuddles.

Gill & Mac

23. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's the sort of news we like to hear! :)

Mogs

Panic and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  24. jt and trouble (GA)

LMAO Thats ALL we would need! :rolleyes::p:confused:

Panic and Gill & Mac (UK) like this.
  25. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

A lot of cats can acne if they're eating and drinking from plastic bowls. A switch to ceramic or stainless steel bowls can often resolve the problem.

Mogs

26. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Aw thank you Gill & Mac! I knew about the acne but didn't know things other than plastic bowls could trigger it - I read that there is speculation that URIs can cause a break out as well, and while he didn't have one he DID get that nasty breakout for the first time when I brought my kitten home who had the URI. :confused: Hard to say what caused it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.