? Yum AMPS 604 +5 533 Safe to use R with 1.5L?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MJW, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I don't know what is going on with Yum's BG.
    I don't think she is in physical distress.
    I think VetOne RenaPlus might be high in sugar (I called VetOne but they didn't know), but she was on it in the hospital and not in the 600's.
    Maybe the cabergoline hasn't really been controlling her tumor and it has turned on again?
    I will put her back on cabergoline every day instead of every other day.
    I would really like her to be under renal threshold by the time we stop her antibiotics (just over a week from now).

Is it safe for me to use R with such a low dose of Lantus?

I have no idea what is going on. I plug one hole in the dyke and another one pops open.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

No knowledge or advice but lots of prayers and hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug: When thing after thing happens I call it a “pile on “..... lot like plugging holes in a dyke :( Those are the days I go hour by hour ( and sometimes minute by minute) . :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

MJW likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used R when Neko was on smaller doses, but you will likely find your R scale is reduced. The most I ever gave Neko was 0.5 R when she was on larger doses, but 0.1 or even a drop would work on smaller doses. So you can use R, but you will have to try really small doses, maybe 0.1 unit, and see how much that drops her. It's a bit like being an R newbie again.

Yum could be bouncing. You don't have data for all cycles at the clinic. But she did see a blue at the clinic, which would have meant no more than 0.25 unit increase. I know you are panicking. :bighug: Panic is your worst enemy. Patience is your friend.

4. Wendy&Neko

One other thing to add, I found that Neko took a day or two before her body got used to new meds. In that time, numbers went up. If I was patient ;), they came back down. Try to stick to the same food/meds for a few days for her body to get used to things, then try changing things. But one at a time. Might be worth noting what time of day gets her meds, especially the Lasix, to see if there is a correlation with the time.

Yum's had a lot thrown at her. Happy to see her RR is coming down. :)

MJW, HWright and Beth 73 like this.
  5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Wendy , love your wisdom nugget ... “ panic is your worst enemy ... patience is your friend “ ... writing that one down to remember and apply in all things life ... thank you :)

6. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I don't know what you need to do, just hoping what ever it is, it works and sooner than later.

MJW and Ter and Sally like this.
  7. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I guess I should add up all the milliliters of compounded medicines she is getting too. I remember I thought the cabergoline was full of carbs, but it wasn't. I approximated the carb content by an equal volume of karo syrup and figured it as a percentage of her total calorie count. She is getting a lot more milliliters of that compounding liquid now though. She got more pills in the ER and fewer compounded liquids. I should order gel caps tonight, although I fear she will never be a pill taker. Those little quarter pills and half pills are really hard to get down her throat. If I could grind the pills up and put them in gel caps, maybe...
    I smeared clopidogrel in butter on her paws tonight, but she thinks it tastes so bad it can just sit there. It does sting my tongue. We'll have the compounded liquid in time tomorrow night for dinner, should all go well.
    She drools from the compounded enrofloxacin.

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Chlopidogral/Plavix is definitely one for the gel caps. My cardio vet sent me home with some #5 gel caps for it.

Glad she's coming down today.

MJW likes this.
  9. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I don't understand her numbers.
    I was definitely panicking earlier.
    Her appetite is good. And she forgives me after the medicine struggles.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Great news on the appy! Tonight is cycle 5 on this dose. I think if you don't see blue tomorrow, you can increase to 1.75 units tomorrow night.

MJW likes this.
  11. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to hear Yum is eating! I still use R even though Bronx is in lower numbers, but my scale has been cut in half. Only a little R moves Bronx now that's he's in better numbers.

MJW likes this.
  12. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Many meds taste absolutely foul.
    The manufacturer's customer support will know the sugar contents.

MJW likes this.
  13. Kathy and TiTi

In that case, Yum's on top of things, even if you think she's not.
    I panic as well, and it never helps, and I never learn.:banghead::blackeye:
    Hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

MJW likes this.
  14. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

No. They don't. Really annoying. Maybe I should get human meds for her, since they have to supply ingredients for those.

Kathy and TiTi likes this.
  15. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

But so far her nadirs are over 300. I thought that meant I should increase to 2 units.

16. Wendy&Neko

On the PM cycles of the 12th and 13th, you saw yellow numbers. That means a 0.25 unit increase.

MJW likes this.
  17. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Okay. She was 294 at the vet this afternoon, so .25 it is. We're also stopping the potassium, which may or may not have been high carb.

18. Wendy&Neko

I used potassium gluconate powder - no carbs in it. In case you do need to restart.

MJW likes this.
  19. Kathy and TiTi

That's just stupid of them! If the human meds are exactly the same (they often are), then call the human customer help. They don't need to know whether you're on those meds or not.

MJW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.