? Zappa problem walking

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zappa’s mom, Jan 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zappa’s mom

Zappa’s mom Member

Does this sound like diabetic neuropathy?

Three times over the last few weeks, Zappa has been shaking his back paws. It resolved on its own. The first time, I thought he had something stuck to his paw. I suspected diabetic neuropathy but he doesn’t walk flat footed, and he does low jumps.

Tonight was terrifying. He was walking across the floor tilted sideways like something was pulling him to one side. I thought he was having a stroke. He sat down and then I put him on the floor again and he walked normally. I called my vet and he said possibly neuropathy- I ordered the
    [​IMG] Vitacost Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules

I also got the novamax and started testing for ketones. So far normal.

Zappa just ate and I gave him his PM dose. He seems totally fine now.

I’ve looked everywhere and I don’t see symptoms of diabetic neuropathy that look like what he was doing. Has anyone seen anything like that?

And I am now converted, I will not skip any doses and will ask for help if he presents a low preshot number. I’m really worried about this weird sideways walking - also do the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy come and go?

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi that doesn't sound like diabetic neuropathy to me.
    That must have been scary.
    I do not think the symptoms of neuropathy come and go
    Let me find a video for you and I will also tag some members for you

4. Zappa’s mom

Zappa’s mom Member

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here's another one, Ignore what he gave in that container

Zappa’s mom likes this.
  7. Zappa’s mom

Zappa’s mom Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom thanks. No it didn’t look like that. I wish I would’ve gotten a video but I was in a panic. He was tilted to the side like he was drunk. He walked across the floor then sat down. I stood him up and then he walked fine. I ordered the Vitacost Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin. He’s never had anything like this before so I suspect it’s related to the diabetes.

I think the only thing I can do is have an MRI. He just had all his bloodwork done.

This is all so sad. My poor cat.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Wendy&Neko

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Suzanne & Darcy

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Let's wait to see what the other members that I tagged have to say

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

When Tyler had it he started walking on his back legs flat footed like a rabbit does.
    He would slip all over when trying to walk on hardwood floors and linoleum floors.
    He would only be able to take about 5 or 6 steps then would have to stop and rest.
    Couldn't jump on anything at all
    After I got his BG under control and with the help of the Methyl B-12 he was back to normal

12. Zappa’s mom

Zappa’s mom Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom - I just had him walk again. He’s completely walking on his toes. No sign of the sideways walking. Eating, drinking, everything else fine. I started testing after his pm shot and I will continue to do so. The Methyl B-12 is ordered.

13. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

We usually think of neuropathy as causing hind leg weakness and walking plantigrade, but it is a painful condition and can also have these symptoms:
    Limping or dragging a limb
    Shaking or twitching of the skin
    Tingling and numbness
    Loss of balance
    Chewing on the affected area
    Crying out (vocalizing)
    Decreased appetite
    Muscle wasting
    Inappropriate elimination, incontinence

14. Zappa’s mom

Zappa’s mom Member

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

I guess you can see once you get his BG numbers regulated and giving the Methyl B-12 see if keeps happening.

Zappa’s mom likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Do you have copies of his bloodwork? Low potassium can cause walking issues.

17. Zappa’s mom

Zappa’s mom Member

@Wendy&Neko

yes, I’ll get it from my vet. With all this going on, I forgot to ask him to email me a copy. My vet did tell me that everything else was normal but I don’t know if he tested for potassium. Thank you for letting me know.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  18. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Zappa’s mom likes this.
  19. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm glad!
    Just remember with SLGS

From the yellow sticky
    Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.
    After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours. Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet. The goal is to learn how low the current dose is dropping kitty prior to making dose adjustments.
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

After you do the curve you then ask for some members to look at Zappa's spreadsheet

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  20. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

This sounds like possibly a luxating patella (knee cap moving out of its proper groove). Larry mentioned this as well. Maybe I just have this on my mind now because I have a foster kitten who was just diagnosed with luxating patellas yesterday. Ugh! (Guess who is probably stuck with another cat! At least he’s a wonderful cat.). I question diabetic neuropathy in this case. What you have described where he sat down and then got up (knee cap slid back into place) and then he waked normally, does make me suspect a luxating patella. This does not require an x-ray but can be diagnosed simply by a physical examination by your vet.

I would suspect possibly low potassium or high phosphorus, but you say the vet said bloodwork was normal except for the diabetes?

If you get a copy of the bloodwork, post it here or enter it into the labs tab on your spreadsheet (be sure to check that the reference ranges are the same as your lab).

It really must have been scary to see him listing to the side like that! I would probably have freaked out a bit.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    Zappa’s mom likes this.
  21. Heather & Bandit

Heather & Bandit New Member

Hi I'm new here but i can tell you about (diabetic) neuropathy.

Yes, sometimes it can cause that tilting and sideways pull. The neuropathy can affect the nerve endings around the brain stem causing this. This can happen in any human or mammal. Keep a close eye on him and write down the time and symptoms if it occurs again.

If it starts happening more frequently it would definitely need to be checked by a vet as if it's indeed neuropathy it could lead to other serious issues. This is because it can confuse the brain as synapses misfire and the wrong signal is sent to the rest of the body. This is why some cats and people have some paralysis.

I've suffered from neuropathy most of my life due to a form of arthritis. I've often been pulled to the right because of it like a magnet.

I've recently started B-12 again just like my diabetic boy Bandit. B-12 will absolutely help ease it if it's neuropathy. It can be quite distressing to see that occur.

Hopefully you'll not see it occur again or that's not the issue causing it.

22. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Yep. You are going to give the methylcobalamin anyway, I am sure. Can’t hurt, will help if it’s neuropathy. I used Zobaline.

23. Zappa’s mom

Zappa’s mom Member

@Heather & Bandit

Hi Heather,

That is incredibly helpful but I am very sorry to hear you and Bandit have this problem. What you described “like being pulled by a magnet” is exactly what it looked like.

Fortunately I work from home, so I can keep an eye on him.

Heather & Bandit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.