Zelda 2/10 - AMPS 116 / +4.5 68 / +6.5 74 / PMPS 171 / Also great day yesterday

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Peter Moore, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

For those following, yesterday was the first day on 2 drops where we had a blue preshot for both AM (129) and PM (135)! :cat: Today is off to a great start too. Now that I'm applying ear medicine in the morning and evening, and the ear infection is finally improving rapidly after festering for weeks, I believe we're starting to see her natural state. 12 hour curve is Tuesday where we will determine if it's time to go down to 1 drop.

Either way there's finally light at the end of the tunnel!

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to her the ear infection is clearing up and Zelda is giving you good numbers.

3. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

+4.5 68

Watching this one a little closer today. ;)

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Very nice cycle indeed! :D

5. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

6. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

So I know we say lime green (<67 on the AlphaTrak 2) is the threshold for dose reduction, but AAHA says below 80 is.

We've also now had two mid-day readings of exactly 68, which makes it a virtual certainty she was below 68 at some point in the last 3 days.

I say it's time to go down to 1 drop. Why wait until we go so low that there's another bounce? Thoughts?

7. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

You can go down to the drop, and if it doesn't hold, put it back to 2 drops. I'd be worried about her dropping too low, especially with the ear infection clearing up.

Peter Moore likes this.
  8. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

My thoughts exactly.

Also, that 6 point bounce was after a few pieces of Orijen kibble two hours earlier. Don't tell anyone or I'll get in trouble! :blackeye::cool:

9. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Actually- are you following SLGS? If so, then she has earned the reduction already. That method takes reductions at 90 on human meter.

10. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

I think my internist was basically doing SLGS, but since coming here I've been trying to achieve tight regulation, though cautiously. Since she was well on the road to remission already my goal has just been to reduce the dose as quickly as possible while maintaining normal ranges. I want her off this stuff and she clearly is at the cusp of not needing it.

11. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

PMPS 171

And the decision was ... 1.25 drops!

How does that work, you ask? Turns out (based on one of my prior analyses) my older VetRX syringes dispense drops that are on average 25% the size of those dispensed by the BD. So I did one drop with the BD and 1 with the VetRX. Talk about microdosing... But just in case my cheating and giving her some kibble earlier today was responsible for the 36 pt spike from yesterday's PMPS, I figured it was worth an intermediate step before going down to 1 drop.

12. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

Roomp & Rand (2009) and the AAHA guidelines both use add 30mg/dl when equating human meter values to readings on a pet-specific meter. Roomp & Rand (2013) and people here use add 18 mg/dl. Which, coincidentally enough, is 1 mmol/L :). I reckon these are all just polite fictions. With, I suspect, some interesting history.

Peter Moore likes this.