? Zena - BG numbers interpretation; upcoming out-of-town concerns

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Zena-Jaxtobias, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Zena-Jaxtobias

Zena-Jaxtobias New Member

Hi All,
    My original newbie post with background is here on main health forum:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hello-from-newbies-holly-and-zena.236779/#post-2657801

Still trying to find the right/best Lantus dosage (and learning what it all means, and when) for my Zena. On 10/12 with a 1.5 adjustment, she was 110 at +4, then 111 at +10, which I think is good, but I skipped the PM shot out of fear of going too low (shouldn't there have been more of a 'wave' in numbers instead of steady?). On 10/13 she was in the 200's all day and I adjusted down to 1.25, then in 100's on 10/14, finally at AMPS 92 this morning so I skipped the AM shot. I have not been BG testing more often because she is becoming increasingly agitated/mad (ear sensitive) when poked and not getting adequate blood (I will be switching to 28g lancet based on recommendations here, from 30g).

My second concern is that I will be out of town starting next Monday-Saturday; hubby will give shots (but working 10-12 hrs/day, so only AM/PM shots) but will not be doing any BG testing... I'm trying not to panic as to what dosage to use that week.... should we go with a steady 1.0 or reduce more (.5, .75?) to avoid any risk of hypo? She will be alone all day so cannot be monitored at all. She seems to do the best with 1.25, but after the low pre-shot of 92 this morning, now I'm very confused and fearful.

Thanks for any help!

2. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hello! And Welcome to the Lantus board! :bighug:

I will leave the dosing to others, but looks like you have chosen SLGS.

A couple notes:
    It’s really important to get a preshot test before each shot and then at least 1 other test per 12 hour cycle. The mid cycle test may not always be possible with work schedules, but if you can, that would be a good idea :) At night time, a +2 test can help you see if another test later in the cycle may be needed. Bedtime decisions are often based on the night time +2 test result.

With SLGS, you hold a dose for 7 days (unless you get a number under 90. You reduce by 0.25 immediately if that happens) If you have a lower preshot, at first, under 150, skipping or giving a token dose may be warranted. You can test, stall and post for advice anytime you need it :) After 7 days, you run a curve (testing every 2 hrs for 12 hours, or every 3 hrs for 18 hrs) to see where the dose is taking your kitty. Then, a dose adjustment may be needed.

Looks like you are trying to find the right dose right now...I’ll let others chime in on that one.

For next week when you are away, others may have some good ideas on how best to handle considering no mid cycle tests would be possible.

Again, Welcome! :bighug:

@Sue and Luci @tiffmaxee

Sue and Luci and Zena-Jaxtobias like this.
  3. thebigfuzz

Just a question, does Zena have any other medical conditions or on medications to consider?

zena is beautiful :cool:

4. Zena-Jaxtobias

Thank you! your Cosmo is very handsome - love the "bib"!! :)

No other medical issues, other than she has lost weight (2 lbs since last year) and trying to fatten her up some with more food (she was a grazer on dry, now on FF wet full time).

thebigfuzz likes this.
  5. thebigfuzz

Oh, when did you make the food change? Sometimes kitties can respond to diet change really well, and can dramatically change numbers and insulin requirements.

6. Zena-Jaxtobias

She went off dry DM on 9/27 (after transitioning from Iams her whole life, then to dry Purina DM for two months); her numbers were lower overall after that, thankfully, but still have had a few large swings (60's - 390's, even one 37, GAH!). That's my prayer that she could eventually go into remission just with food switch!

thebigfuzz likes this.
  7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you are going out of town, post here a couple days before you go, which would be Saturday and put something like "petsitter dose?" in the subject line. The dose has been bouncing around a bit, so it's hard to say what 1.25 units will do. We dose based on nadirs not preshots. Could you try shooting 1.0 units from now until Saturday and we'll see if that will work as an away dose?

8. Zena-Jaxtobias

Thank you; she was at 249 AMPS this morning, and I gave her 1.25 before I saw your note. I will do 1.0 going forward, before my Mon trip. I'll start new thread.

Wendy&Neko likes this.