Zhoom Boy AMPS 427/ +7 235/ PMPS 526 - Is this a bounce?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CRL, Oct 30, 2019.

1. CRL

CRL Member

Thank you to everyone who helped out yesterday - see thread here. Zhoom went to the vet today and it was very difficult. I walked away feeling very alone, but then I remembered that I have all of you. I will post about my vet experience another day after I have had time to re-coop and process.

For now I am just trying to figure out Zhoom's numbers. It seems to me that maybe this is a bounce. That since he has been in higher numbers lately the 235 felt too low to him and his body went into survive mode. What do other people think? Is it a bounce? I am just learning all of this. If it is a bounce, what do I do? Hold steady on current dose?

The vet today was afraid that the 1.5 U might be too high for him and advised me to take it back down to the 1.25 U. I don't think I agree with this. What do other people think?

2. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

I can't advise on anything but, can suggest to put a ? in the prefix(drop down menu) in your condo. This might draw some attention to your post. I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the vet. Hopefully you can get Zhoom Boy on the right track. This forum is the best place for advice! Hang in there:bighug: Be a good boy Zhoom! Your mom loves you very much!

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think your gut is telling you the right answer and your vet is a little crazy.

I see absolutely no indication of him getting too much insulin.

4. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

You have the right idea: sounds like Zhoom Boy is bouncing from the yellows that he's not used to.

As for dose, I think an increase will be suggested but I'm a little chicken with my advice and always like to get more than one person saying to increase, especially from a person with more experience.

If you do increase, you want to avoid increasing on a bounce breaking cycle. It will only add more momentum to the numbers and cause a dive or even lower numbers which then triggers another or bigger bounce. It's a delicate balance.

It can take about 6 cycles for a bounce to break.

5. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Just to elaborate, a bounce breaking cycle typically looks like numbers going down as the cycle goes on. Ming had a bounce breaking cycle today (8/30). If I had increased, his numbers would’ve gone lime or dived.

And I’m sorry to hear about your experience with your vet :bighug: We’re here to lend a shoulder to lean on during these difficult times.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Cats bounce from seeing numbers they aren’t used to, or fast drops. Zoom isn’t used to seeing yellows. Even if it is nice to see them again, so he bounced as you surmised. I rather suspect he will need more insulin. Let’s see what happens at the end of seven days on this dose.

Remember, you are closer to Zhoom and know him better than all of us, including the vet. :bighug:

Crista & Ming likes this.