Zhoom Boy PMPS 334 / +2 145 / +3 93/ +3.5 81

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CRL, Nov 22, 2019.

1. CRL

CRL Member

Sorry I've been away for awhile. Life has been busy. And I am so very tired. But Zhoom decided that we are going to have a pajama party tonight. He must be missing me :)

Not exactly sure why the sudden lower numbers, but here we are. I fed a MC snack at +2. On to the HC goodness here at +3. Hoping I can keep him steady. I will test again in half an hour.

I have been giving him a Chinese herbal formula called Four Marvels (Si Miao San) which helps with inflammation and from a Chinese medicine perspective, clearing damp heat - for Zhoom this means IBD, Small Cell Lymphoma (maybe) and of course Diabetes. I initially read about it here and consulted with a vet that practices Chinese medicine for animals. Seeing some lower numbers lately could be the herbs starting to help. I sure hope so. Zhoom could use some good days. Although I do anticipate a big ole bounce day tomorrow! I do believe in the herbs. We used herbs to successfully treat our dog for two different types of cancer over the last two years (mast cell and plasma cytoma). He is now happy and healthy. I am hoping for the same for my Zhoom Boy.

Anyone that wants to join our pajama party is completely welcome to! We are getting into the good snacks. It is going to be all the fun.

2. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

Hi ! Hopefully he does something similar to what he did on the 10th but then just stays in the blues for the night :)
    paws crossed

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

He’s had a couple of big drops at +1 and +2 Have you given him some food? If not I would give him a couple of teaspoons of his low carb food now and test in 30 mins.

4. CRL

CRL Member

Yes, paws crossed. We are down to 81 now. Just fed a little more HC snack.

5. CRL

CRL Member

I actually fed him some MC snack at +2 and then HC snack at +3 and +3.5. Hopefully the HC is not too much. Would like to get him surfing the blue, but I get nervous with big drops.

6. CRL

CRL Member

He has started to gulp down water. I notice him drink more water when he is too high. Is this something kitties also do when they feel too low?

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

He did have a big drop at +2 so the higher carb food in that situation at the beginning of the cycle is ok.
    We don't want them dropping too much too quickly...that will just make them bounce.
    Normally we say feed LC unless they drop under 68 on the Alphatrak.

Because you are doing SLGS Zhoom has earned a reduction in dose down to l.25 units. Congratulations!
    You are doing a great job keeping him safe.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Cats will drink more water when they are in higher numbers.
    When cats are too low they will often be very hungry....

9. CRL

CRL Member

Thanks :) Do I start giving him the lower dose (1.25) tomorrow then and keep him on that dose for a week and then do a curve? We've never earned a dose reduction before.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Wow, if this is your first reduction, that is exciting!
    He earns a reduction when he drops under 90 on SLGS.
    Yes, start the new dose when the next dose is due.
    Keep giving that dose for a week, unless the BG drops under 90 again.
    In a week, do a curve, that is correct.

Keep testing this cycle til he comes back up over 90 and is able to maintain the BG over 90 without the help of food for at least two tests.

11. CRL

CRL Member

Got it, thanks so much.He is at 109 now, so that's good. Do I test every half hour or every hour?

12. CRL

CRL Member

I was just looking over Zhoom's SS. We did actually have a reduction before in September. That was before I found this forum - which has helped me learn so much already. It has been a long time in high number land, so this reduction is very exciting!

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes this is a great place for FD kitties!
    Keep doing what you are doing . Zhoom is a lucky boy!

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Sor
    Sorry I must have missed that post earlier.
    I would not feed any more now and test in an hour after the last BG and let's see where he is then.
    Is that ok with you?

15. CRL

CRL Member

He is doing well. At 137 now without the help of food. I will test again in an hour and if he is still going up at that point, I will call it a night.

Si am cat mom likes this.
  16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes, I think that is a good plan. Well done!

17. CRL

CRL Member

Thank you :) He jumped up to 235. Seems like a short duration for the insulin? Also looks awfully similar to the 10th when I accidentally gave him a muscle shot. Maybe I gave him another muscle shot and didn't realize it this time. I hope not. I have been more nervous giving him shots since that happened. Should I still reduce the dose tomorrow?

18. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes, still take the reduction tomorrow.
    The 82 he had at +3.5 is the lowest number he has had since the first day, so he is bouncing from that.
    He is not used to low numbers anymore...he thinks that the higher numbers are normal, and his body has to get used to lower numbers again. And while he is doing that he will bounce.
    If you look back on the 10 th he also had a green number and then bounced.
    So don't be surprised if you see high numbers over the next couple of days.....it's a bounce...which is a normal thing fro some cats to do.
    Do you pull up the skin to tent it, to give the shot or roll the skin over your hand to shoot.?

19. CRL

CRL Member

Thanks. I do anticipate seeing high numbers for awhile. I have learned all about bouncing from this forum and my Zhoom Boy s a bouncer! Sometimes he surprises me and clears a bounce after just a cycle or two. Other times it takes 6-7 cycles to clear. I think that is why he has so much red on his SS, because he is constantly bouncing. Hope that levels out soon.

I do pull the skin up to tent it. The muscle shot that I gave on the 10th was a shot in the flank. I try to move my injection site around and I used to shoot on his flank sometimes, but not anymore since then. There is not as much skin back there and it is just too risky I found out (the hard way). But like I said, that muscle shot from the 10th has made me nervous giving shots. Now I doubt myself a lot.