Zingers, Houseplants, and Making Me Crazy!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by FurballLover, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Good morning PZI land!!

I know the kitties are feeling much better these days 'cause they're getting into all kinds of mischief!!

DH didn't go to bed until nearly 3 (tax season--urrrggghh) this morning. He said right after he laid down, he heard Charlie on the counter in the kitchen--he went to investigate, saw nothing, went back to bed. This morning, like most mornings lately, Charlie starts pawing at closet doors just before 9. (I work a lot of nights, so I typically dont get up til 8:30-9). I get up and feed them in my usual haze. Just after letting the drooler out--I see it----Zinger under the table. Urrrggghh. So, I grab C, and check his bg (since this is my first 'they ate something they shouldn't have', I was freakin out that he was going to be high) 73!!! OK, now I can breathe.
    I don't usually keep junk food in the house, but had DH pick up a pack last night (pms, ya know! plus, kinda disappointed I'm not preggers yet). Anyway, had 2 last night, and was saving the last for breakfast:) Well, I guess he saved me a few hundred un-needed calories!

'Someone' keeps eating the houseplants and then puking them up--pretty sure its Molly, I don't typically see Charlie chewing on them.
    Of course, most of you read how Molly woke me up last sun--thank god, that hasn't happened again, YET.
    They have been driving me crazy lately--now that C is in remission, and they're eating healthier--there's lots of extra energy. They're fighting more lately, big nasty sounding fights--no one gets hurt, but I have to break it up once, in a while. Charlie has started "drumming" (thats what DH calls it). He paws on the closet doors until they open, goes inside, and paws at the walls. He's doing it now!! Stop it Charlie!! Gonna have to buy some more toys to keep them occupied. At least spring is here and they can go out in the yard (when its not raining!).
    Of course, there's other mischief lately--but I won't bore you all with every detail!! Its rainy today, guess I can't kick them out for some peace & quiet today:(

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, your crew sounds like a handfull!!! I've seen that drumming thing on Funniest home Videos - you should send in a tape & maybe win some $$$. That would make it less annoying I bet! :lol:

I gave up on houseplants years ago - I have a civie who is a chewer, she would leave little plant bits everywhere. At least she didn't do the eat & puke, but the poor plants got so mangled I gave up.

Hmmmm, now I want some junk food ;-) my house is bare too.... s*ucks, doesn't it. :evil:

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

When I was reading this, my first thought was, "Oh, Zinger, a kitty she hasn't mentioned before!" and then I wondered why you immediately started talking about food they can't eat. It took me a minute to figure out that a Zinger is a kind of food (never heard of it). ;)

They do sound like a handful, and I totally hear you on the closet door thing. We have folding doors on our bedroom closet, and they don't quite close right. We have to keep something in front of one of them or they pop open. And of course that must be the most fun place for a kitty to go. The other night I took a shirt out, walked to the bathroom, was gone for no more than 30 seconds, came back and closed the door. HOURS (at least 2) later, I remarked that we hadn't seen Eve for awhile (she's the one who gets into EVERYTHING). Then I thought I heard her meowing but she always walks around and meows at nothing, so I didn't think too much of it. Probably another hour after that, we looked around for her because we could still hear her meowing. Guess where she was? Yep, trapped in the closet. This is the same kitty who once spent an entire night locked in the coat closet because she went in there and I didn't notice. You'd think she would learn, but no. ;)

Happily for me, I don't have any desire to keep plants in my house, because I certainly couldn't. I can't even bring home fresh flowers, or leave a wrapper on the table, or a hoodie with a string dangling, or a phone charger cord hanging too close to the edge of the table, or...Good thing she is so cute. ;)

4. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Ele--I cant believe you've never heard of Zingers!! They are frosted twinkies--I mean, can it get any better than putting frosting on a twinkie? Well, maybe deep frying a twinkie, but you can't get those at a convenience store! Zinger would be a cute name for a kitty--so would Twinkie!
    We've done the same thing to poor Molly, anytime we have the bedroom closet open, she jumps up on the shelf that DH keeps his tshirts on!! We've shut her in on accident on more than one occasion!! Eve sounds like the mischievous explorer type---what's the strangest place you have ever found her in?

Joanna--I just got back from walmart: why do they have to have those huge displays of junk food everywhere? Don't they know I have to fit into my bridesmaid dress next month? Yes, it does s*ck eating the "good" food all the time. I wish they would invent a super-vitamin that tastes like the best chocolate cupcake you have ever had!!

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Just had to add to the "shut in the closet" collection. Both our girls like to hide in the closet under the stairs. Unfortunately, when you have tile, when they meow, if you're not directly in front of the door, the echo fools you into thinking it's coming from anywhere BUT the closet. We've hunted upstairs, in different rooms, under couches only to figure out that it's the closet dead center to the house. I don't want to think about how much time we've wasted doing that.

Strangest place ever to find a cat (and she got in BIG trouble for this one) - inside the couch. I guess the bottom liner had a small area that wasn't tacked in any more. Gira climbed up and into the couch framing and the gap where she got in, bounced back up with the tension. I had the neighbors searching outside in the bushes and was crying like a baby, sure that she was gone forever and here she comes slinking OUT of the couch. Took a staple gun to the couch that day.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Darn, typed it and lost it. :twisted: Short version: I've never heard of a Zinger, I thought it was code for poopies - y'know... darned dog left another zinger under the table! Your post makes a lot more sense now that I've been educated. :roll:

7. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Hope, we had a kitten in the couch episode once too! When Molly was a teeny little 3lb kitty--she lived in DH's apartment where he had these overstuffed couches. One day, he comes home to hear her meowing from inside the arm of the loveseat! He calls me frantically (worried that I will break up with him bc of some kitty mishap--she was mine, but couldn't keep her at my place at the time)----

DH: "Oh my God, Jen. I don't know what to do--the cat's in the couch!"
    Me: "So what, the cat's under the couch; she will come out eventually."
    DH: "No---she's IN the couch."
    Me: "What have you been smoking? Look under there, she's probably just scared of her new home and wants to hide in a safe place."
    DH: "Don't you think I know the difference between IN the couch and UNDER the couch? What should I do? Do I need to go to the hardware store for tools to take it apart?" (btw, how sweet is it that he was going to ruin his couch to 'save' my kitty)
    Me: "Honey, that's not necessary--she found her way in there; she will find her way out. Shake the bag of food, and I bet she'll come out real quick."

Sure enough--out she comes. For many weeks, this was her 'preferred' daytime nap place, and DH would come home every day to find her there--'til she got too big to fit in there!

Joanna--I'm cracking up at the thought of my cat eating dog poo!!!

8. Sarah and Buzz

Ohhhhh, Jen, frosted Twinkies sound absolutely repulsive! More for you, right? ;)

The weirdest/most awful place Eve got into was the kitchen cabinet. But not through the door. No, she crawled up into a hole where the cabinets met at a corner and then couldn't get out. She was only about 4 months old so she was still tiny. We were moving that day, facing a 9 hour drive with 3 cats. We were planning to pill them for the trip so hadn't fed or watered them for 12 hours. We couldn't find her anywhere and we were really panicking, then I saw her little paw sticking out from the hole. I got down on my stomach and peeked up there, and yep, there she was, looking down and meowing pitifully. I tried to coax her out with food and water, thinking she must be starving and would surely come out. After awhile, we decided that she COULDN'T get out. We couldn't pull her out because she would only stick one paw out at a time and I was afraid of breaking her leg or ripping it off (yes, I have an active imagination, plus I was stressed to the max). I was near tears, Dave was watching the clock and freaking out, Eve was meowing, the other two in their carriers (I wasn't taking any chances) were pissed off....oh, it was ugly. We called maintenance at the apt. complex and were explaining the situation to them. I was thinking we were going to have to smash the cabinet and ruin it, saying goodbye to our deposit and then some. Dave was on the phone with them, and I was lying under the cabinet, when all of a sudden Eve stuck both paws out at once. I grabbed them and just pulled (as gently as I could) and out she came!! I have NEVER been so relieved in my life. She went directly into her carrier and then we took them out one by one to pill them. We gave Eve such a small amt. of medicine because she was so young that it didn't work at all. She meowed the whole time; increasing the radio volume only made her meow louder.

We finally made it to our destination at like 2 a.m., where it was POURING rain. We had packed carefully so that what we would need for the night was right at the back of the truck. All I wanted to do was shower and sleep. I had packed our shower curtain in a good spot, thinking I was so clever to remember that. Except there was no shower curtain rod. The next day we drilled through the cold water pipe in the bathroom trying to install a towel bar, then discovered that the house was still infested with fleas from the former owners (despite the landlord's treatment of the flea problem). It was, to say the least, quite an ordeal. I blame Eve for the entire thing, for getting the trip off on the wrong foot. ;)

9. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL, Sarah. What a trip! I bet you never want to move again. I know I don't.

10. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Awww, cute stories. :)

When Bix was a kitten he & the other kittens (fosters at the time) were in their own "kitten-proofed" room. When I wanted to experiment with letting them out to get to know the house kitties, he came zipping out of the opened door and, totally terrified I think to be out in the open, made a beeline for the fridge - there was a gap between the fridge and the cupboard just the right size for a kitten (they weren't teeny-tiny, but couldn't have been more than a few months old).

Faster than I could even blink, he went behind the fridge and crawled into this space it had in the back around the motor. He wasn't really *inside* the fridge, but he was inside the frame. I about totally lost it. I had to pull the fridge out far enough that I could unplug it (praying that I wasn't crushing his paws, since they were on the floor, but inside this metal frame thing). Then I had to get the fridge out enough that I could climb up on the counter & get in behind it, and then bend the frame part out so I could get him out.

Thankfully he didn't get injured. It was a short-lived experiment though - the kittens went back in their safe space til they were a little bigger & til I could make the rest of the house super-safe for them!!!

11. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Sarah-
    What a moving experience!!! lol At that point, I would've taken the cat's meds for myself, and let DH endure the ride alone with me snoozing all along (ok-not really-but the thought would certainly cross my mind!)

12. Sarah and Buzz

Oh geez, Joanna, that must have been scary! 'Cause then I would be worrying about the fridge motor getting hot and burning him, or who knows what else. I'm sure you climbing up on the counter was an amusing sight for any cat who may have been watching. ;)

Jen, I would have loved to do that (don't think I didn't contemplate it!) but he was driving the moving van and I was driving my car. I did end up giving Eve to him because he couldn't hear a thing over the engine noise, so it was perfect. All I had to contend with was a drooling Cricket (he was out cold) and Buzz, who would occasionally wake up to meow accusingly, then go back to sleep. Of course I was scared to death that Cricket was dead or in a coma or something, so I kept trying to check on him while driving. God, it's all coming back to me now and you're right, Ele: I don't want to move again. The trip to St. Louis from Cleveland wasn't that awesome, either, but nowhere near as disastrous as the other one. Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.