Zobaline - bad reaction?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Just curious: Has anyone's kitty ever had a bad reaction to Zobaline? Grasping at straws, but Cinco seemed to go down hill a day or two after I started him on it.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

"Going downhill" meaning that his numbers were higher or something else? Are you using Zobaline from LifeLink or some other form of methyl-B12?

The only way to know if it's the Zobaline is to stop using it and see if the numbers improve.

3. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Sienne:

I'm not so much referring to his numbers as to the fact that he began drinking a lot more water and urinating a lot more, becoming lethargic and dehydrated. It's odd to me that his BG is not higher, as I'd associate those issues with a high BG, but he's been in the 200s pretty consistently. Yes, I got the Zobaline from LifeLink. I'm really just looking for SOMETHING to explain the change in his drinking and urinating habits.

It is also a little odd to me that he has stayed in the 200s, both pre- and post-shot, despite two dosecreases during that time frame, too. Am I crazy?

I will stop the Zobaline immediately, just in case. His neuropathy bothered me a lot more than it did him.

Thanks.

4. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

you could give a week off, see if things change during that time and then try it again.

any possibility of infection? does he have a history of pancreatitis?

5. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Julie, he hasn't shown any sign of any infection other than the bartonella. His urinalysis was clean. He started antibiotics today for the Bartonella. He has no history of pancreatitis, but I'm not certain he's really been tested for it. I went through the lab results from when he was first diagnosed in 6/2011. He was suffering from DKA, but there is no mention of pancreatitis. I will ask the vet about that tomorrow when I drop him off for his curve. I'm also going to ask if I should start giving him subq fluids when he gets like this. It sure perked him up yesterday.

6. julie & punkin (ga)

pancreatitis can be chronic, simmering and it's a problem for many diabetic cats. he needs to fast for at least a while for the test to be accurate. you might look at the post on pancreatitis before your appt - it's on the New to the Group sticky, near the bottom of the page. The treatments for it include fluids, pain relief (bupe) and vit b-12. hmmm, feel like i'm missing something, but all of those help. look at the post for the best info.

if he's got Bartonella's, that might explain why he feels yucky. perhaps a couple of days of ABs will help him perk up.

7. julie & punkin (ga)

btw, does your vet require doing a curve themselves? because surely you could give him the link to your ss instead. that might save you some money. most don't require doing the actual curve themselves, especially since vet stress can really increase blood sugar in some cats.

perhaps if you took your meter and did a side by side comparison with their equipment so they could see you know what you're doing, they would be convinced to accept that info instead. their meter would be animal-calibrated, so would probably measure about 30 points-ish higher, but it's close enough.

8. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Julie:

When I first started home testing, I took my meter in and they compared it to theirs. Mine was closer to the big glucometer than their hand meter was. I pointed out to this vet that I had just done a curve and offered to show her the numbers, but she wasn't interested. She was pretty insistent on doing it. I don't mind the expense if it will help. I'm thinking if they have him all day they can observe his demeanor and condition and perhaps that will give them other ideas. I plan to print out the spreadsheet and take it with me to give them a reference.

I've been hoping that the bartonella's is what's causing all this. The OV said he tested "very strongly for it".

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

At least one source suggested that lethargy is consistent with symptoms of bartonella infection. I think you may find this link on bartonella interesting. It notes a connection between bartonella and eye infection. Let's see how he does on the AB.

10. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Thank you for the link, Sienne. That was very interesting. While he didn't go into that much detail, the OV gave me a basic overview of the same info. It's like most other things regarding cats: the more we find out, the less we know!

Cinco was still somewhat lethargic this am, but ate every bite of the food I gave him, as usual. I told the vet tech when I dropped him off how well he responded to the the subq fluids and asked that they check him for dehydration. I also told her I did not give the Zobaline this am and asked her to check with the doctor about whether I should discontinue it. When I talk to the doctor I'm going to ask about giving him subqs myself, at least until he stops this mega-urine thing. I've done it before, and I still have needles and some un-expired solution, so I can do it if it is indicated.

I'll post an update this afternoon when I know more. Thanks again! I'm off to clean litter box and carpet. :-|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.