Zobaline vs Human Folic Acid

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle McCormick, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle McCormick

Michelle McCormick New Member

Hi! My cat was diagnosed with diabetes back in April. Thanks to the advice received from this site, I switched his insulin to Prozinc and he's now fully regulated! Just had second fructosamine test at vet. Looking great! (Photo attached.) Couple of questions:

1. I was REALLY hoping my vet would say, "All's good, in remission, take him off the juice." Instead she told me to continue the course. How does one know if the cat is in remission and can go off insulin?

2. Went to reorder Zobaline for Chester's jiggly back legs (which are much better, but not quite 100%) and the price has gone up significantly. (By the way, it's 60 tablets for $40). Can I substitute human folic acid instead? It's 250 tablets for $4, and it's the same MCG amount I'm giving my 25 lb. cat. Photo also attached.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would really need to see a spreadsheet to make any observations about remission. A fructosamine is an average. It tells you nothing about variation in the numbers. The information on setting up a spreadsheet is in this post.

The active ingredient in Zobaline is methylcobalamin (also called methyl-B12). Folic acid is a form of folate, which is B-9. So, no you can't substitute folate for methylcobalamin since they are different B-vitamins.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle welcome back!
    I encourage you to take Sienne's advice and set up the spreadsheet. This is the only way to give the most accurate and best advice for cutie pie Chester.

Diane Tyler's Mom and Panic like this.
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

If you’re in the US, you can get the b12 methyl from vitacost. It’s much cheaper. It comes in capsules and you can open them and add it to the food. It’s like $17.99 for a bottle of 60 5mg capsules I think @Diane Tyler's Mom has the link handy ;)

Minnie recovered from her neuropathy on it so it works just as well!

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Copying this from a post Diane has posted here about Zobaline alternatives:

Hi Here is the link https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

Alot of members use this , I use it myself you can buy it on line from Vitacost
    Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
    It's 17.99 just be sure this is the one you buy
    The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
    So I buy the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and add it to the B-12
    If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half
    The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
    Has no taste, no need to crush it up
    The Zobaline is 33.99 for 60 pills, too expensive
    I saw a big improvement I'd say 3 months, could be sooner. One capsule a day

Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
    • SKU #: 835003001804
    • Shipping Weight: 0.23 lb
    • Servings: 100
    [​IMG]

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeap that’s the one, thanks Panic!

btw, I never added the folic acid so the b12 methyl is really what you need

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I want to clarify. B-12 has 2 components in it's metabolic pathway -- methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin. If you order from Vitacost, it appears they clearly identify which is which. Not every place does. So, if you walk into a vitamin store or your local pharmacy, you may see B-12 on the shelf. It may be a combo of methyl and cyano or they may have both. Make sure you are getting methylcobalamin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.