Zoey and Carol dosing issues

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Zoey & Carol, Apr 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

Can someone please look at Zoey's Spreadsheet and give me some guidance? I have had her on 1.6 units of ProZinc for about 3 weeks with a couple of attempts at raising it to 1.8. It seems like 1.6 isn't quite enough to bring her down, but when I raise it to 1.8, she goes too low and then bounces into high numbers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The 1.8 was looking good. I am not sure what happened last night. Did you not get an amps? So it may have been lower and then she dropped?

Couple choices. You might give 1.8 for presents 300+ but skinny up the dose on 200s. (To skinny a dose, pull up a little more than 1.8, then let out drops until you are a few drops less than 1.8). Or give 1.8 for 300s and 1.6 for 200s. Or you give a fat 1.6 (same idea - pull up more than 1.6 but less than 1.8). I assume you are using U100s and the conversion chart so these gradients would be possible.

It does seem like she has room to drop with a 300 pre shot and 1.8, but 1.8 is just a little too much for a 200 preshot? Amazing what a tiny bit of insulin will do.

Robin&BB likes this.
  3. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

I wasn't home to do the evening preshot. (My husband gave the insulin, but he's not good at testing.) I think I will try the dosing you suggest and see what happens. She's feeling much better overall with a healthy appetite, but not ravenous. Still lots of urine.

Thanks!

4. Zoey & Carol

Zoey & Carol Member

I think I found out what part of the problem is! I bought some Friskies canned food thinking it was the "Special Diet" kind that is low carb. That was a couple of weeks ago. She has been eating that and Fancy Feast off and on for a little variety. After I double checked, I found that I had the wrong kind of Friskies! She is back on the low-carb canned and numbers are looking better. It definitely shows the harm a higher carb food can do.

Thanks for all of your help!

5. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Thanks for the update, Carol. Glad Zoey is doing better!

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That does explain a lot! Sometimes, even a tiny change in carbs can really change their numbers!

Robin&BB likes this.
  7. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Boy, I'll say! Bat's on a 3% carb diet, and I've even seen a jump in her numbers at those times she's had a just little 5% carb food. While many vets may say "anything under 10% carbs is okay" for sugar-kitties, I think if I'd followed that line of thinking, Bat would be on a much higher dose of ProZinc right now. Every cat's different --- but the lower the carbs, the better - IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.