Zoot! Alphtrak compared to Relion Micro

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

We finally found a vet who is well versed in diabetes and willing to work with us toward remission! He has asked us to switch from the ReLion Micro to the AlphaTrak pet meter, which is okay by us.

Does anyone in this group use the AlphaTrak meter? What has your experience been? Does anyone using the AlphaTrak follow either of the protocols, if so how did you figure out how to modify for the pet meter readings?

Thanks from Cinnie and Zoot!

2. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hi. I used the AlphaTRAK2. Months ago I was able to find the conversion table documented by the Center for Companion Animal Health The School or Veterinary Science, The U of Queensland. Here is the link posted from this site so that you can review it/print it out. Read Page 1 and then if you go to Page 5/Table 3B, it provides the Target BG Concentrations when using AlphaTRAK:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/Roomp_Rand_2008 dosing_testing protocol.pdf

The document states that, if using a meter calibrated for feline use, add approximately 30 mg/dL to the target glucose concentrations and for example, a target of >50 mg/dL becomes >80 mg/dL. Instead of aiming for 50-100mg/dL, AIM FOR 80-130mg/dL. It then includes Tables regarding targets for blood glucose concentrations.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@TSP - there really isn't a direct conversion. Roomp & Rand only loosely established parameters for where cut offs were primarily for when to reduce the dose. They based their research on using a human meter since human meters were more readily accessible than pet meters when they published their original paper. What you linked is the "cheat sheet" based on the published study.

@Marje and Gracie did a comparison of the AT meter and a human meter.

4. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

@ Sienna and Gabby

Very true :). Page 1 of the link does a nice job explaining that but I am glad your reiterated it so Cinnie or anyone else who looks at makes sure to pay attention to that important point.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

That is a very old document and not used any longer. It has been replaced by the newer info on TR and the only “equivalents” (and I use that in reference only to reduction points and not equivalent BGs) given are the reduction points which are low 50 on a human meter for a newly diagnosed cat and 68 on a pet meter. That does not mean that 50 = 68. Those are just the determinations for what gives a margin of safety on each meter.

Welcome!! You can find my comparisons on Gracie’s SS. There is a tab for Micro/AT comparisons and you’ll see there really is no comparison. A specific number on the Micro and AT2, it didn’t mean that next time for the ReliOn, I’d get the exact same BG I did on the AT2 the time before.

In actuality, the vet is suggesting you do that for their own convenience. Our guidelines and the TR protocol were written to use with human meters. You will save a ton of money by using a human meter. While I had both meters, I used the Micro and only used the AT2 to do comparisons for the board. We do not modify TR or SLGS for use with the AT2 except, as stated above, for a newly diagnosed cat on the TR protocol, the reduction point is below 68. My two cents worth....stick with a human meter.

Cinnie Cole likes this.
  6. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Cinnie-it sounds like you found someone knowledgeable vet wise so have an open discussion. There are different ways of doing things and these protocols are one way but not the only way. The nice thing is it sounds like you have options. One option has most certainly been presented here but find what fits for you and your cat :)!