Zoot! day 3 - AMPS is 198! Still gave 1 U but will monitor.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Advice please; I am a nervous mom and want to have Zoot! have the best life.

Zoot! started off today with an AMPS 198. I gave 1 U Lantus while he was eating his can of Purina DM. Then he gets Clavamox (for his UTI) in a duck pill pocket (please don't tell him...he thinks that is a treat).

Seems like we are moving in the right direction, but what next? So with 198 what should I be looking for - is it good? Is it something to be concerned about since two days ago when he started his AMPS was 323, yesterday 321 - is this dropping too quickly now?

As for my guy, he is very food driven (street cat for 8 months and adopted when just skin and bones) and gets anxious waiting too long for food. To address that my hubby cooked plain chicken for him last night which I am using as treats now (roughly a tablespoon 2-3 times a day as a treat after non-PS testing). Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks.

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Zoot!! Love the name!

I think it’s definitely ok to shoot a 198, try getting a +2 if you can and see if he’s much lower. If he stays the same or higher no worries! If he drops quite a bit try feeding him some low carb food and get another test in at +3. You can also add those new results to your title and if there is a concern someone may comment :)

Don’t stress about the 198! It’s a really good thing to see Zoots numbers go down, that’s what you want! Have you decided yet if you will follow Start Low Go Slow it Tight Regulation yet? There are some stickies at the top of this forum that describe each method so that you’ll know what will work best for you :). Once you choose one add it to your signature so that members will know what feedback to give you when it comes to dose increases or decreases :)

Welcome to the Lantus / Basaglar and Levemir board! You’re doing great :D

3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Thanks! I will definitely aim for the +2 test. As for the Start low go slow Tight Regulation, I read it, was a bit overwhelmed, but will probably jump in once we find that Zoot! is adjusting (really, it is me and hubby) to doing the testing.

Our Vet discourages our testing, and says that they will; I know she means well and wants to reduce the stress here, but we want to monitor. My hubby is a type 2 diabetic so he is used to testing and getting results and adjusting diet to manage his own. I think we will just have to slowly get our Vet and our desired involvement to dovetail more.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  4. AmandaE

There is a lot of information involved in choosing SLGS or Tight Regulation for sure! I really didn’t understand it at first but it became clear after I read the information a couple times and asked for advice from other members :)

Typically if members have capability to test during the day they follow TR, if you have capability to test during the day and Zoot is on an all wet diet it might be for you. I’m unable to test during the day so I follow the more cautious SLGS so that I don’t have to worry about Mowg while I’m at work.

It’s such a big step that you and your husband have knowledge of Type 2 diabetes already and that you are going to be a team taking care of Zoot’s testing. A lot of vets are against testing, but anyone who knows diabetes knows how important it is to test before you shoot insulin. You don’t want to risk a hypo event! Maybe if you describe your familiarity with diabetes in humans and your comfort testing your vet might be more supportive. You could even give your vet access to Zoots spreadsheet so they can follow along :)

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

So I did not get to test at +2 - had to wait for hubby to help at +7 and he is at 289. Does that seem reasonable?

6. AmandaE

I think it is reasonable, it will take a few days for Zoot to build up his depot and get used to his new insulin, some ups and downs are normal :)

Looking forward to seeing what his PMPS is

7. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

PMPS is 294!

AmandaE likes this.
  8. AmandaE

For 3 hours since the 289 I think that's really good!! not too much of a rise in the last quarter of the cycle :D

I wonder if Zoot will have a yellow or blue 'before bed' test? :)

9. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

10. AmandaE

LOL OMG!!! That is HILARIOUS! keep that one in the books for when some poor soul is new around here and they need a little encouragement or sympathy when they’re struggling to get testing down!

Thanks for the laugh :joyful:

11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

THANK YOU SOOOO much for sharing!! I'm new & it always helps to hear you aren't alone in these situations! My T has now become like the feline TSA agent. He knows the smell of the treat he gets after his BG test so he will approach for love, stop, wait for presentation of the hands so he can do a kitty version of a pat down by smelling & inspecting them for any lancet or glucometer & then if you are given the "all clear", he will proceed with getting his rubs on :p! Thank goodness for humor!!

12. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

well at +5 he is 230 - so no blue, just yellow. A little higher than last night at this time (we gave him abour 1 and 1/2 oz more wet food for dinner tonight, so I wonder if that made a difference). He has energy and seems to be doing well. Still drinking a lot of water.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    AmandaE likes this.