Zorro PMPS HI, +4 = 412

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Zorro's mom, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Zorro's mom

Zorro's mom Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Your boy sure likes to bounce! A quick comment, there are a bunch of “#value”s in the US version of the SS. Probably because there is something other than just numbers in the cell. Would it be possible to go back and manually edit those cells for the last couple weeks of the US spreadsheet. I speak World (Canada) but a lot of the people here who give dose suggestions are unilingual when it comes to blood sugars.

Next, are you planning to follow TR as is described in our dosing methods sticky note? Zorro is considered to be a long term diabetic, as he has had diabetes over a year. That means the reduction point is lowered to 40 if following TR. And I would consider an increase tomorrow, if you can monitor.

Yes one more thing, what is you feeding schedule? Zorro likes to drop hard and fast at the beginning of the cycle, and those fast drops are likely causing more bouncing. Getting a few carbs in him just before onset may slow the drops.

3. Zorro's mom

Zorro's mom Member

Hi Wendy, yes Zorro's bouncing has me at my wits' end and lately I often wonder whether it will ever subside. That is the main reason why I reverted back to the other form of TR that provided for +10 dosing when the bg numbers are high enough. You will see from his SS that there were periods when that method worked quite well at controlling his bg but then eventually I would either suspect too much overlap causing high flat curves, ór I just couldn't keep up with the dosing schedule's hours and would revert back to +12 dosing..until I'd get too upset seeing him in HI's for hours at the end of a cycle and would revert back, and so on and so on.

Have you ever come across a cat who simply needs more regular dosing than 12/12, even on a longer-acting insulin like Levemir? I suspect that Zorro's system got completely thrown out of whack during the days shortly after his diagnosis, when the vet had him on silly doses of Caninsulin and dry food. Those high doses must have slammed his bg to the floor and his liver learnt to be super vigilant - until he had a severe clinical hypo. That's my theory anyway.

I will work on the US version of the SS asap.

Yes, I plan on following TR as described in the sticky on this message board.

Regarding reductions: Does it mean he has to go below 2.2mmo/l befóre intervention with food or when he goes low despite efforts to slow down his drop? Green numbers below 3.0mmo/l are unfamiliar to me so I tend to start acting as soos as he gets near 3.0, sometimes even much earlier if I see he's zooming down and nadir is approaching too early. He can sometimes drop significantly in 15 mins.

I held off on an increase this morning. I started a new Levemir cartridge and will increase tonight if he doesn't see at least blue numbers today. Do you suggest a .25u increase?

My feeding schedule, quantities and type of food for him have been chopped and changed a lot. Currently he eats raw chicken, 2oz at 8am, 2oz at 1pm, 2oz at 8pm and 1oz at 1am.
    I do have quite a lot of stock of FF Classic salmon feast which I sometimes add a bit of. However I recently learnt that it contains a lot of phosphorus and I was feeding it exclusively before changing to raw so I'm hoping to reverse any damage to his kidneys.

I have noticed that Zorro's onset can sometimes be quick at +3 even. Do you suggest a small meal (quantity?) around +3 to hopefully slow him down?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Reason for edit: Corrected feeding quantity
  4. Zorro's mom

Zorro's mom Member

That was a mouthful from me! :facepalm: Thank you for any help you can give.