Zulu's Blues (Dosing help?)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ZulusMom (GA), Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

This past weekend Zulu suddenly started having some pre-shot numbers in the blues (100-199). None were below 150 so I still wanted to give him some insulin, but I'm afraid I might be bouncing him around too much with my dose-guessing. Can someone take a look at my SS and let me know what you think? This is entirely new territory for us!

Before his numbers were so high, I wasn't overly concerned about sending him into a hypo event, but now I feel like there's a lot less room for error. On Saturday, for example, I might have given him too much. He was begging for food in the kitchen around 11 AM, which isn't like him (we tried free feeding in the past but he's usually a meal time cat by choice). It wasn't until after I had given him a good amount of food that it dawned on me that I should check his levels. It was 108, a safe number, but it might have been brought up by food at that point.

Any advice is appreciated! Happy to see the blues, but nervous too!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

So far his SS looks good - and very well organized! :) I'm not familiar with Glucoensure. Is it a supplement?

It's great that you're doing pre shot tests. I'd add a few more daytime tests on days off and a before bed test every evening if possible. Many kitties go lower at night and the +2 or +3 test can give a hint of what they're planning.

3. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Thanks for the advice!

Glucoensure is a pet supplement that has fenugreek and billberry in it; it's supposed to help balance and control blood sugar levels. His drop seemed to coincide with when I started him on it, but it could have just been him finally adjusting to the low carb diet, hitting the right dose of insulin, or maybe a combination of things. Just glad something started to push him in the right direction! :cat:

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat is always much higher at night. Ya never know. Lol

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Actually it looks like you have a pretty good handle on dosing. Keep doing what you're doing. :)

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel is high overnight on Lev - acts like a non-depot insulin in him but he feels good on it.

7. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Thanks, everyone! Haven't figured out Zulu's pattern yet, but don't have a whole lot of data to go on yet either. His numbers seem better in the AM if I get up and give him a small snack during the night (we tried free feeding, and it's like.. he won't? Maybe he just likes being waited on. He's strange like that..).

We are trying a new vet on Friday, one that my boss recommended (her dog was diabetic). When I spoke to the tech on the phone earlier they seemed waaay more knowledgeable and open-minded than my current vet. Don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be nice to have a vet that I feel like I could work with, instead of the current situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.