01/04 OliverTwist +4.5 82 +5.5 75 +6.5 79 +7.5 85

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ecurie, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Don't bother readying through all this.... i was just feeling sorry for myself.. my question is WAAAY at the bottom about raising oliie's dose

yesterday's condo
    Today
    amps 310
    3.5 288
    6 255
    pmps 281
    3 138
    4.5 82
    5.5 75
    6.5 79
    7.5 85

Good morning everyone! :coffee: :coffee:
    I'll see what's up today with his numbers, but i'm thinking 3.25 tomorrow am if we don't see some great stuff today. So far, on 3 units, he's touched green (barely) and seems stuck in mostly high blues and mid yellows. Of course, i would like smarter eyes than mine to take a look and tell me what they think.

I spent yesterday in self-pity day.. My cat has a disease and i'm feeling sorry for myself.. good grief. When Ollie was diagnosed, the vet told us we should let him go. That his body was starting to give out. She told us there's always a reason for a disease and she couldn't find anything wrong with him other than the donuts on his chest x-ray. So soon, all his other organs would start to give out and he wouldn't have any quallity of life. she told us it was inhumane to test at home. That he wouldn't ever get better, we'd probably end up raising his dose until something in his body just "popped" and he would die. she handed us the pamphlet on "saying good-bye" and said we should think long and hard about "torturing" him. For some stupid reason, all that popped in my head yesterday and i couldn't make it go away, so i spent the day, all wimpy and crying. Why i let that thought in i'll never know. But she's wrong...very wrong. I'll say prayers for other owners who might take their cat to her. It's not correct for her to say things like that.

I'll be saying happy prayers today for all of us and our sweet babies.. Lots of hugs and blue skies,,,even if it's cloudy have blue skies.
    xoxo mary and oliver

2. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist amps 310

Morning Mary and oh wow on your Vet. That is horrible! So glad you found us and also a new Vet. I've heard of Vets just wanting the Owner to bring the cat in every two weeks or so, but what she said there are no words or no words I can repeat here.
    Good luck on increasing the dose tomorrow and give sweet ollie big hugs and lots of scritches from us. He is a very lucky kitty indeed to have you as Bean.

3. Re: 01/04 OliverTwist amps 310

Mary, sorry you had a bad day yesterday. I get that way too sometimes then realize that our 'vets' don't know what we have learned and they don't see what we do every day. When I get down and blue it's usually because DH has said something that I don't like then I have to tell myself that Scratchie is getting better! His neuropathy is gone, his numbers are getting more leveled out, his bounces don't last as long.

Hope today is a better day and just look at Oliver, feel his love and trust and tell yourself that you are doing a fabulous job and Oliver is getting better!!! That's the truth in a nutshell. You are doing everything right and his quality of life is great. Look in his eyes and you will see it all there.... - to hell with what that vet said!!

(((hugs)))

4. asoolty

asoolty Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist amps 310

oh Mary (((HUGSSSS))) please don't give up on faith ! you never know what tomorrow will bring , cats are strong creatures ! unlike us humans ! you remind me of a vet 3 years ago when Noni was first diagnosed with blood glucose ! I didn't know anything about diabetes NONE! she was like its better to put her down ! its not easy to treat and I don't think you both will handle it ! and she was like come inside I wanna show you a small kitten who needs a home ! we had her at the hospital after treating from a car accident (which I feel sorry for the kitten too) ! and she was like take her and put Noni down in peace its better and many owners do that !! I was like OMG OMG OMG does this lady ever had a heart !!!

so lets keep hope and try our best, since my baby is eating and breathing I will do whatever it takes to make her have the best quality of life !

Aseel & Noni

5. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist amps 310 +3.5 288

Hugs feel so very good.. Thank you thank you thank you. much love back to you. we continue on, bolstered by good friends with good thoughts.
    xoxoxoxo mary and oliver

6. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

I think we all have those days sometimes. Just gotta allow yourself to feel sad for a bit and then pick yourself up by your bootstraps and mush on! I'm so glad you had the sense and the strength to find a better way for Ollie. I'm sure you reward each other every day. You are a fantastic Mamabean and Ollie knows it! Good luck with the dose increase!

7. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. wow .. that is awful of your vet to say that stuff! It's ok to have self pity days .. I can't even tell you the number of times I flung myself on my bed and bawled my eyes out over a high number .. But the point is, you get up, you dry your eyes, you give your cat a hug and you keep going on .. cause we love our furbabies so much, we could never give up on them .. Just hang in there ...

8. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

((Mary)) I know how you feel on the self-pity days we all need them once in a while. Hugs!!!! What a horrible vet!!!!!! That angers me sooo much! So glad you found this board! The vet that diagnosed Scrabble was a jerk too and told me there was no way a cat could get off insulin and that diet didn't make a difference. Well I dropped him right away. When Scrabble went otj the first time I wrote him a letter letting him know I was successful on gettin my cat otj and telling him about the board etc. Who knows whether he read it or not but it made me feel good. Hope today is a better day and I would definetly think of raising the dose in the am. Hope you have a better day today!!!

9. macal

macal Member

Can't imagine what you went through when your vet said that. Can't imagine WHY a vet would say that unless the patient was terminal and suffering.......Home testing's not a huge deal once you get started.....some pet owners can't handle it because of the stress and worry, but the cats usually can.....
    Hope you're feeling better today. Sometimes we have waves of grief just from the stress of life in general....caring for a diabetic kitty or any other family issue, just compounds it. Pretty healthy to acknowledge it, have a good cry, and move on, just like you did! ;-)

We're here to support you. Hang in there!

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Mary I'm sorry you had such a rough day yesterday. We all do once in a while. Just keep looking at how well Oliver is doing and remind yourself why you're doing all this. He is worth it and he loves you for what you do for him. That's horrible your vet told you that. I'm glad you moved on from that vet. Good luck with the dosecrease if you decide to give it.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Mary and :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: that's one each for you, Mark and Oliver. We all have those days like you did yesterday but just remember you did exactly the right thing. You questioned the vet, you got educated, you changed vets, you started testing, you found FDMB and now Oliver is in so much a better space than he was when you started. And we are all glad to see you here. And yes, we all have days when we want to hit our head against the wall for a while.

You might want to use the ? post icon and add Dose ? to the subject line for others to see.

12. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

Hi Mary. I hope Oliver settles into this dose and you don't have to increase his dose. I'm sorry you had such a bad day yesterday. I agree that you did the right thing by not listening to the vet about Oliver. How can any vet tell a cat's owner to not try and treat their disease? You can look at Oliver 5 minutes after testing him and see by his actions it is not inhumane to be testing him. Don't be hard on yourself for having a "woe is me" day, we all have them. Anyone that loves their cat is going to ask themselves what more they could do when they don't see the results they were expecting. We all want the best for our furry friends and tend to forget that we don't control the speed of the process.

Hang in there and feel confident that you are definitely doing the right thing for Oliver.

13. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist +3.5 288 +6 255 pmps 281 +3 138 dose?

Ollie doesn't look too bad , but he doesn't look wonderful either. I was thinking to increase his dose tomorrow morning, but of course, i would hesitate to change until someone looks at his numbers.
    thanks for your advice. mary and oliver

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist +3.5 288 +6 255 pmps 281 +3 138 dose?

(((Mary)))

Some days it is difficult and we all have the days we feel sorry for ourselves. Even though Gracie could care less if we test her, it breaks my heart every time I have to poke her because she just purrs up a storm and looks at me with adoring eyes....and I have to poke her. Nut then I remember its why she is safe and I think of my friends who have had diabetic kitties that hypoed because they didn't test. And I watch Gracie race through the house with tail in the air and a smile on her sweet face. And then I get over it :D :D :D you have to let yourself have these days occasionally but then you have to let it go.

It's unfortunate that a vet can be so inhumane.

Your gut is on target.....you should increase to 3.25u in the morning unless something really great happens tonight.

Good luck with the new dose.

15. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist pmps 281 +3 138 +4.5 82 dose?

(((Mary))) I am sorry you were having one of those days yesterday... I can so relate though. I guess we all go through it from time to time.

What a jerk that Vet was. I'm so glad that you were courageous enough to leave and find someone else. You are doing great with Ollie, you're such a good mommabean, and a very caring person. I sure do wish you luck with the increase tomorrow.

Hugs,
    Kathie

16. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist pmps 281 +3 138 +4.5 82 +5.5 75 dose?

Thank you very much for your support and kind words. It helps to know everyone has those days. Where would we be if we hadn't landed here? ((((LL)))))

17. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Now the little bugger is just teasing. I am all set to increase tomorrow am and he throws out some greens. If he''s surfing here or if he goes back up at 6.5 should i still increase, or give him another day at 2.75? thanks again mary and oliver

18. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL guess he saw the dose threat, I would see where he goes tonight on his next test and decide from there.

19. Marje and Gracie

Works every time. Yes..let's see where he goes tonight.

20. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist +3 138 +4.5 82 +5.5 75 +6.5 79 dose?

Amazing.. We need a smiley for "dose threat".

21. Marje and Gracie

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist +4.5 82 +5.5 75 +6.5 79 +7.5 85 dose?

According to the protocol, if the nadirs are 50-200, you hold the dose 6-10 cycles and then reevaluate. I actually think he has some room for a little more insulin but you can hold for the ten cycles and see what he does and if he settles in a bit more.

22. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Re: 01/04 OliverTwist +4.5 82 +5.5 75 +6.5 79 +7.5 85 dose?

:lol: :lol: Little bugger! Obviously Oliver wanted to show you his lead in the sugar dancing! Relax mumbean, let your boy lead. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.