01/05/20 Apple AMPS 330 - Blood After Administering Shot, Help!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caren & Apple, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

This is Avery, Caren's grandson. I'm the one who gives Apple his insulin, and this is the first time this has happened. I know that there is a chance the insulin could've gone into the vein and he could go hypo, but what are the chances it could've just clipped it? It was just a small drop of blood that stopped bleeding immediately.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I upped the dose by .25 as advised, and Apple didn't flinch or yelp indicating that it may not have hurt him much.

Previous post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...pmps-483-daily-bg-update.223863/#post-2504060

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Avery, Where did you administer the injection? I doubt that it's a problem since it was just a small drop.

When is the next BG test planned for?

3. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

I inject into his side, but I always move the spot slightly as not to build up scar tissue. We just tested his BG again since it's been an hour and it was 357, but we don't know when it can hit. Apple isn't acting tired or any different than usual. We will test him in another hour.

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Lantus usually takes a couple of hours at the earliest...typically...and he's pretty high right now. Doubtful that you 'hit' anything in particular...if it had been a vein, I'm certain there would have been more than a drop of blood...

These kitties, when we want that drop of blood (for testing) we can't get it...and when we don't they give it up.

Hang in there!

Sonia & Leo and Caren & Apple like this.
  5. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Hah, isn't that the truth? He does seem to be alright, there's no sign that he absorbed it too quickly and is going hypo, but we'll keep testing to make sure.

Sonia & Leo and Sue and Luci like this.
  6. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I've done those a few times too, we call them blood shots. You just nicked a capillary, I freaked the first time I did it.

Caren & Apple and Sonia & Leo like this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I suuspect Christie is correct - you just are seeing a bit of blood from a capillary. If you think about it, even after a flu shot, they put a bandaid on your arm in case there's a drop of blood.

Caren & Apple likes this.
  8. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Thanks for responding! Freaked is the perfect word!!

9. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

You are so right, unfortunately being the first time, we were shocked :)