01/09-Freckles PMPs 261, 232 @+3, 257@+14.3 - dental tomorrow

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Freckles, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

last post

Freckles is still playing among the lemons. :banghead: Off to see the vet tomorrow morning for her dental (hopefully just a cleaning). She's been on 1/4 tab of doxycycline since Monday as a preventative AB. She will get a half dosage of her insulin tomorrow morning (2.25 u) and half of her breakfast (3/4 can FF) about 5:30 am as per the vets guidelines. Procedure will likely go around 10:00 am. I've written up a full sheet of information including:

-directions to feed small amounts of food slowly after dental (I've provided a can of her food)
    -additional information for Freestyle Libre application
    -additional adhesive (Vetbond and Skin Tac) if the vet wants to use it
    -directions for NO kibble or treats
    -NO administration of Convenia
    -NO administration of Metacam
    -receiving Lantus insulin
    -receiving probiotics since Jan. 6
    -testing negative for ketones

I'm putting a paper collar on her in the morning that provides her name and that she is a diabetic (may be a bit overkill but she can't wear a medic alert bracelet!)

Anything I'm missing?

I see @Marje and Gracie are still on tonight. Any other thoughts Marje or others?

Oh, and I see @Bron and Sheba (GA) are on too. Maybe I can catch your opinion tonight? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Paws crossed it is just a cleaning tomorrow. Though if not, it could be something that is causing her to stay up in that lemon tree. Unfortunately the cycle count will restart, but oh well...

If you have an old T-shirt or towel that you can rub on you, or wear tonight, that you can have left in her kennel, that might help Freckles feel more at home. Will they be testing? If so, make sure they record the times and numbers for you. While they are at it, if they test her blood pressure, it's a useful thing to know. And see if they'll call you post x-rays and pre-operation to discuss what they found, and let you know as soon as the procedure is over. A girl an ask. :)

Thinking of you tomorrow. :bighug: Be forewarned, the day will last forever until you get that phone call.

Camcat likes this.
  3. Judy and Freckles

Thanks Wendy. That brings my list up to 16 points of information to hand over to the clinic tomorrow morning! :)

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers the dental goes well. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m sorry and you are probably already gone. That’s weird it showed me a being on as I wasn’t on that late. Oh well!! Perhaps it was open on one of my devices and I didn’t realize it.

The only other thing I could think of, which they might do, is have booties for her paws to keep them warm as they lose heat through their toe pads. I bought baby socks but any sock will do as she will be under anesthesia and won’t know.

Paws crossed, good luck, thinking of you all, and sending major good dental vines.

6. Judy and Freckles

Thanks Marje. Yeah we were already gone but will know for next time.

The vet just called and the xrays show the roots for 3 teeth are being dissolved/absorbed (he has a very strong accent so I'm not sure of the proper terminology) so those teeth will be removed. He couldn't talk long as she was under anesthetic and he needed to get working on the teeth.

So given that there are/were problems with 3 teeth which will be pulled, I'm thinking that there could also be inflammation which could be affecting her response to insulin and making her insulin resistant. If that's the case, and the inflammation is gone with the bad teeth, how do I move forward with dosing now?

Thoughts and/or questions to ask my vet when I pick up the poor little girl this afternoon?

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Just leave her dose as is. We’ve found that if dental issues were causing the problem with the BG, it sometimes can take a couple of weeks to see gradual changes. We don’t typically see numbers dropping suddenly. Watch...Freckles will now decide to be the first one to do so:p

8. Judy and Freckles

:) Right on. Gotta keep life interesting around here... why would she start being part of the norm now!

With the vet finding bad teeth, my hopes are that the source of the insulin resistance has been discovered now. paws crossed

upload_2020-1-10_14-12-56.png

Thanks @Marje and Gracie. Since Freckles only had half her dose of insulin this morning, I believe the 5.5u insulin cycle count will have to be restarted. I'm very anxious to see her numbers using the Freestyle Libre,

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  9. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the best for your post dental time. Phoebe Squeak had 3 teeth removed, but she didn't need all the pain meds they gave me. I stopped them early because she was totally back to herself -- eating & playing. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but who is the great looking kitty you just posted. I don't think it's Freckles.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  10. Judy and Freckles

Thanks JJ. The great looking kitty is I guess an internet model! It's just a stock photo that I found with a kitty with paws crossed. I thought she was striking too... that's why I picked that photo. :)

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I found that numbers actually went up right after the dental, due to inflammation. Just follows Snickers lead with the numbers. She will tell you if she needs mire or less insulin.

12. Judy and Freckles

Oh great... now I have a crabby, but sweet little tuxedo cat bossing me around! ;)

Thanks Wendy!