01/17 Glycoflex Joint Supplements okay for diabetics? - NO!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bandit's Mom, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

I am giving my civvie cat Glycoflex joint supplements (Glucosamine + MSM + Perna) from Vetriscience Laboratories.

https://www.vetriscience.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9008801060

My diabetic cat (Bandit) loves them too and I have been giving her a little bit of each chew as a treat. Does anyone have any experience on whether it is diabetic-friendly.

I could not find anything on the ingredients list that could be harmful, but want to err on the side of caution!

Active Ingredients per 2 Chews (4g):
    Perna canaliculus (GlycOmega™ brand Green-Lipped Mussel) 300 mg
    Glucosamine HCl (Shrimp and Crab) 250 mg
    Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) 250 mg
    N,N-Dimethylglycine HCl (DMG) 50 mg
    dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E) 25 IU
    Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 12 mg
    Manganese (Mn Proteinate) 5 mg
    Grape Seed Extract 2.5 mg
    L-Glutathione 1 mg
    Selenium (Sodium Selenite) 0.001 mg

Inactive Ingredients: arabic gum,brewers yeast, calcium sulfate, canola oil, hydrolyzed chicken
    liver flavor, citric acid, glycerin, maltodextrin, mixed tocopherols, pectin, propionic acid, rosemary
    extract, silicon dioxide, sodium alginate, sorbic acid, soy lecithin, vegetable oil, water.

2. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA) Well-Known Member

I’d like to know too as I give them to my other two cats and wondered if Disco could still have them now he’s diabetic.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

I have written to Vetriscience asking if they are suitable for diabetics and for the carbohydrate content. Will update this condo if I hear from them.

4. Bandit's Mom

I just heard back from Vetriscience after I emailed them again. This is what they say:
    “Thanks for your question. Each chew contains approximately 38.37% carbohydrates. Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns. Hope this helps!”

38.7%!!! So that's out.

5. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Wow! So glad you looked into this! I used to give it to my cats (all three are in their mid-teens and have arthritis issues)but now I use a product from Rx Vitamins for Pets called MegaFlex. I am going to contact the company and ask them and I will post here if it’s something that we can or can’t give to our sugar cats

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Bandit's Mom

I actually got them for my civvie cat who seemed to have some issues with jumping. But Bandit really LOVES them. I had been giving her 1/5th of a chew every day. At 7kcals per chew, I hope it was a drop in the ocean!

7. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Yep, I’d have to say it’s a drop in the ocean! I did call Rx Vitamins and they are going to get right back to me. I buy the big jug, it’s a 21.16 ounce, I don’t use the capsules and I really don’t measure it out I just put like a heaping teaspoon for all three cats because they share a plate of food, and the dose for cats is one 1/4 to 1/2 scoop and of course I didn’t keep the scoop so I can’t remember how big the scoop was si I’ll be sure to ask them that when they call back. I love all their products and use the their probiotic because it doesn’t have animal digest in it like FortiFlora does, which sometimes can irritate IBD kitties guts

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Glad you found out! maltodextrin Is a carbohydrate.

I give my diabetic cat Halo brand EFA mixed into his food once a day. It can be given to dogs also. My whole fur gang gets it daily. It’s great for their joints and coats.

I wouldn’t give those chews even to your non diabetic cats , too many carbs.

Halo Vita Glo Dream Coat.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  9. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

The GlycoFlex and the MegaFlex are both joint supplements with MSM and Glucosamine/chondroitin in them but both do have maltodextrin I see. The halo product has garlic oil in it and I know dogs and cats shouldn’t have garlic, although it is down the ingredient list

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

That’s not true about garlic. Garlic in LARGE amounts aren’t to be given to dogs and cats. Halo would not have garlic in the product if it were at a dangerous level.

Ellen Degeneres is part owner of this company and I totally trust their products.