01/19 Edward AMPS 308

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SnowKat, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

Yesterday’s thread. Thanks to all who chimed in!

Wow, so Ed’s BG is the highest this morning (308) that I’ve ever monitored with him. And it was consistently higher yesterday than on day 1 of insulin. Is that normal - for the BG to go up before it goes down?

Briere Fur Mom likes this.
  2. Sherry and Blackie

Sherry and Blackie Member

Hi! I know Blackies numbers were all over the place at first. He was diagnosed last June. Everyone here has helped me so much . Just remember it's a process.

SnowKat likes this.
  3. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

Hello! I saw someone call you by your first name one time (other forum), and now I can't remember it :(

It's still a mystery to me the way these cats react during the first few weeks of insulin. I have seen lower numbers come at a dose that looks promising, then the numbers go back up and don't perform a repeat! In Edward's case, he responded well, and quickly to his first 1U dose, looking like the second PM dose might take him too low. The .25U that night changed the full effect of what this 1 unit will do for him, so after he has been on 6 doses of 1U without changes or skips, we will see if the dose needs to go up (if following TR). Of course, that's if he doesn't go low first! Always remember, the cats don't always follow the guidelines or plans!!
    You are doing awesome testing that pretty boy. I love the link with the pics!

SnowKat likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It takes time to get used to the insulin - all bets are off basically in the beginning. You're just getting started so these results could be part of a yet to be seen 'pattern'...just hang in there and get the tests on your SS....after a while the puzzle will take shape and you'll start to see lower and higher numbers and often there will be a rhyme or reason to it; effects of food, sometimes stress, who knows.

That's why they call it the sugar dance...

SnowKat likes this.
  5. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

@Sherry and Blackie it is good to know that Edward isn't alone in his fluctuations that this is normal. Thank you.

@Tina Marie and Jan, my friends call me Kat (short for Kathryn), and I love snowboarding and northern forest cats, hence... SnowKat. I think I'll add that to signature :) I have been reading the TR protocol, and I'm thinking that is the way we want to go, considering how well he (and my husband and I!) have figured out the BG home tests. We will stay steady for now at 1u... maybe re-evaluate tomorrow or Tuesday if his numbers are still high?

@Sue and Luci the "sugar dance" that is so apropos! Is it ever!

6. SnowKat

SnowKat Member

@Sherry and Blackie oh my goodness - Blackie's recent numbers look beautiful! Gives me hope!

Sherry and Blackie likes this.