01/23 Boomer AMPS 182 +3 106 +4.5 85 +6 59 +9 74 PMPS 97 +3 59, Eagle!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 182 shooting 1.75u
    Every 4-5 days Boomer decides he needs to give me a high blue AMPS :rolleyes:

Boomer attempted to get me up at 2:00 but quit crying before I actually rolled out of bed:smuggrin:. He did feel it necessary to get me up at 5:00 though so I tested him 157 at +9. He ate all of his overnight fuds.

Allen ate all of his overnight fuds as well.

I'm not very happy with Boomer's numbers these days but I hesitate to increase because he does see green by +6 most days and by +3 most nights. His meals are usually the same each cycle; PS chicken pate (2%) +3 turkey pate (4%) +6 ff (either ocean whitefish tuna 0% or cod sole shrimp 1%) +9 chicken pate (2%) with chicken pieces. The values are from Dr Lisa's list although I don't totally trust the ff values, I know I called them a few months ago to get their nutritional breakdown so that I could calculate the carbs myself and the guy I talked to had absolutely no idea what he was doing and totally gave me numbers that made no sense.

The insulin is losing it's duration too quickly after +6. Since the +6 ff is my prime suspect right now, I have changed Boomer's meals so that at +6 he gets chicken pate (2%) and doesn't get the ff until +9. Will be testing at +9 for a few days. I had also intended on a pm +6 when Boomer woke me up at 2:00 but that didn't happen last night.:smuggrin:

On Sunday DH and I got out for a walk; we went back to one of my favourite spots. And there was very little there! Well, except for a couple of Blue Jays and a couple of Cardinals. We walked to where the eagles are known to hang out and as I was standing there talking to another photographer/birder, something very large flew quickly over the river. I believe it was a 3rd year Bald Eagle but she didn't think so. Anyways, as DH and I were walking back to the car, an adult Bald Eagle flew down the river, heading towards the spot they normally hang out at. So driving out of the park we watched the trees and I spotted him. He was across the river and the light was crappy so not the best image but here is a shot of an adult Bald Eagle!

Attached Files:

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

You’ve been at this a long time, so I trust you know very well how to handle Boomers numbers more than anybody else. But has it ever worked to increase his insulin a bit without it being a full increase? I don’t know if you use calipers, but easy to adjust and consistently get an in between dose with those. Just a thought, but I’m positive you know what you’re doing over there.

Glad he gave up on the 2:00 alarm last night, sorry he switched it to 5:00.

Very cool shot! I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a bald eagle in person, they are really large, aren’t they?

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Their wingspan is huge! They are intimidating up close .. I used to work with bald eagles and golden eagles in a zoo.

Good luck with the changes with the food and test checks!! :bighug:

4. Judy and Boomer

There are some days I don't think I know what I'm doing at all!
    No I don't use callipers. I try my best to be consistent with the dosing although there's always the possibility of a problem with the syringe.
    Off and on I was considering a dosecrease. It's a lot easier to fatten a dose when you're shooting a whole unit or a half unit; not so much for quarter units.

The Bald Eagles are quite big; the females being bigger than the males. The adults can be 28-40 inches long and have a wingspan of 6-7.5 feet!

5. Judy and Boomer

Oh..that would be such an awesome job!

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  6. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Victory!
    and defeat... :rolleyes:
    Really nice shot of the eagle, regardless of the lighting conditions!

7. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hey, Mr Boomer , behave for your beans :) . We have been seeing the eagles who live in our area also . It is such a blessing to look out the kitchen window and watch them . Awesome shot, Judy !!!

8. Judy and Boomer

wow that was a big drop! +3 106

9. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope the food tests work, at least greens do show up. Beautiful pick, all I have is wild turkeys :facepalm:, at least Ben Franklin would be happy.

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck changing the food. It looks like Boomer is going to swim in the lagoon for a while. I like the picture of the bald eagle.

11. Judy and Boomer

12. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Good luck with the fuds experiments - nice +4.5!!! When I used to fatten doses that fell in-between the lines, I would actually work off the next line and consider it a "skinny" instead of a dose. And, since I know that makes no sense, for example: If I wanted to fatten a 1.25, I would actually measure against 1.5 so that the plunger would be a hair below that 1.5 mark...and therefore I would call it a Skinny 1.5 (rather than a fat 1.25)....in case you ever wanted to give it a whirl!

13. Judy and Boomer

14. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Judy, that picture is magnificent!

Surf it Boomer. Looking good! How 'bout starting a bit lower tonight for the PMPS? :cat:

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I do wonder if a little fattening of the dose would allow him to spend some more time in green. Though his nadirs are nice, it seems the majority of cycle is blue time. Also, any chance of doing away with the +9 snack - that is probably ruining his duration.

We get lots of eagles here too. Last week we drove to southern ferry terminal, and passed fields and fields of bald eagles, and some snow geese too. Of course, I could never get as good a picture as you do Judy.

16. Judy and Boomer

I don't think we could stand to be in the same house with him if we tried it :rolleyes: But I have tried giving him just chicken pieces for the +9 and it made no difference. I think he loses duration earlier; between +6 and +9.
    I think there's a spot in BC where hundreds of eagles congregate during a certain period?
    Happy to hear the tsunami warning was cancelled; not sure how close to the coast you are?

17. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I have seen hundreds of eagles on the way to the ferry before, and there are lots in Squamish/Brackendale this time of year at the river. Good viewing there. It's on the way to Whistler. I have also seen tons on Haida Gwaii. Occasionally in the fall we'll see some fishing when we are out rowing.

We are fairly close to the coast, but up 400 feet on the foothills of a mountain. Plus Vancouver Island shelters us and their west coast takes the worst of it.

I had similar problems taking away Neko's +9 snack. :rolleyes: So I just did as close to zero carbs as I could. You might find if you inched up the dose he'd get better duration.

18. Judy and Boomer

19. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 97 shooting 1.75u

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  20. Judy and Boomer

21. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Atta boy, Boomer! Go green, and don't wake up your mamabean at 2 A.M.!

Great shot of the Bald Eagle. We see them on several of our canoe routes. Once we paddled under one who was sitting on a branch only about 20 feet above our heads. They are magnificent birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.