01/28/2011 Spitzer went to emergency last night UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I had class last night, so my friend gave the insulin dose of 2 units.

What I didn't know was that Spitzer had been vomiting repeatedly. I got home to a trail of vomit throughout the entire condo. I tried to give him some ondansetron for the nausea and vomiting ... and he threw it up. He was lethargic and depressed.

Of course, insulin + no food = potential hypo, and vomiting repeatedly = dehydration, so I took him in to MedVet.

This morning's update was that Spitzer may have an URI (or its his herpes flaring). He may have a mild heart murmur. They want to repeat November's ultrasound which had shown enlarged kidneys and liver. There may be thickened intestine. They want to repeat bloodwork, which will probably show elevated glucose (duh- he's diabetic), may show elevated liver values, and who knows what else.

I may have to let him go soon. He's never been regulated and it doesn't seem fair to keep him going if he isn't comfortable and happy.

Bloodwork came out mostly OK. Glucose elevated and one of the liver enzymes was elevated.
    Ultrasound does not look good. Thickening of a large portion of the intestines; one area suspicious for ulceration or lymphoma. They're starting him on cyclosporine, in case it is inflammatory bowel disease. I'm considering getting a biopsy to see what we're dealing with, but I have a feeling it is lymphoma.

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 01/28/2011 Spitzer went to emergency last night

Hugs to you and to spitzer ...

3. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Just want to let you know I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Also, two big furry hugs...one for you & the other for Spitzer.
    Please hang in there!

Prayers for you & Spitzer,
    Jenn & Baxter

4. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I just want to offer hugs. I know it's just awfully hard when they are this sick.

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Oh Spitzer baby, keep fighting and hang in there a little more!

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and healing vibes... I know what you mean about it not being fair...I know you will do right by Spitzer. My heart goes out to you.
    jeanne

7. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

I hope things turn out better than expected but either way I know you'll do what's best for Spitzer. So sorry you're going thru this.

8. akbahsMum

akbahsMum Member

Hope you and Spitzer are doing alright.

9. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this news. Sending healing vines for Spitzer and hugs for you.

10. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, BJM.

11. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Wishing you good results this a.m.
    You and Spitzer have been a great postitive here on this board, just a shame to see him not feeling well :sad:
    Sure hope he gets better
    furry paw hugs comming your way!

12. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

BJM, how is Spitzer this morning? Any news?

13. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I'm so sorry Spitzer isn't feeling well. I hope he is doing better soon.
    Follow yur heart with whatever decisions you may need to make. You know him best and he knows you love him. I know how hard it is when our babies are sick. Hugs to you both.

14. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Get injectable cerenia - this is used for vomiting. Ondansetron is better for overall nausea. Especially if the liver is involved. Cats can use both. This will help him feel a lot better. Cerenia can only be used for five days. and then a break. Ondansetron can be used three times a day. There is a wide range of dosing - 1mg is usually the starting dose. Costco sells this fairly cheaply and thrivingpets.com sells it for $1 for a 4mg pill.

Is he on a liver support like denamarin/marin/denosyl?

Sending you big hugs. Maverick almost died from liver disease. My Dad passed away from liver cancer and was able to verbalize how his liver made him feel before they figured out what was wrong. The ondansetron made a wonderful difference.

15. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I will try and find the article written by a vet on the various treatment options for nausea and vomiting. Does he ever vomit food many hours after eating it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.