02.05 Nelli AMPS 207; (+3.25) 62; PM (+10) 199

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Krystina & Nelli, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

:(http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/02-04-nelli-amps-235-4-140-pmps-160-6-86.210327/
    This started 4.25 hours ago...
    Nelli ate a good pre (1 hr. B4 Bkfst) snack (1/2 oz raw chix) and a good Bkfst. (1.5oz raw chic heart and thigh). No lack of appy
    Just before I put Bkfst down, she went to lb. -could not go. Tried and pushed and, tried and, pushed. So much so that I believe (is what) caused her to throw up :(.
    I then fed her breakfast. She ate all then went back to lb Tried and pushed and, tried and, pushed to poop. Again, so much so that I believe (is what) caused her to throw up :(... a second time.
    Nelli has tried all places... LB, outside outback and, outside out front. She pooped one time outside, two small solid plops- now, this was a couple hours ago.
    Every time I try and give her some food she eats it then try’s to poop again- pushes, strains hard. No poop.
    I just cleaned her little bottom with a wet warm cloth, of some poop that was stuck to hair then with dry towel, dried. She whimpered. Unusual?
    It is now +4.5 and she still continues to try and poop.

I don’t want to haul her off to vet...just yet?
    All Vets (SIX-
    two mobile and four fixed) not including Blue Pearl ER :)eek:), none of them can seem to do just one or two test and figure out problems. They clearly, grossly so are in this business to make money. More money, more money, more money. I sincerely hesitate to continue putting Nelli through this trip.

I gave her a good dosing (two 1/2 servings back to back) of SEB around +1. No results :oops:
    I sprinkled miralax on her breakfast. Don’t know, don’t think it was effective bc within hour she threw up?

I am sure she is now dehydrated and hungry.
    I have stopped offering her food believing she will only try the cycle again: eat, try to poop, strain... throw up.​

She got her shot 4.75 ago. Her BG dropped from 207, 3.25 hrs later, to 62 :nailbiting:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Nelli is not well.

If you want to get food into her perhaps in very small amounts and add water to it to hydrate her.
    Not sure what to suggest, regarding trying to get her to poop.

Sending vines.

3. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks-
    She is hungry. Every time I give her food (with plenty water) she eats it, try’s to then poop. Strains so much she throws up what I’ve given her

4. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

No expert advice here. Just my best wishes for Nelli. I hope whatever has come on so suddenly clears up quickly as well.

Despite your less than high regard of the local practices, would you trust one of them to at least provide some immediate relief, like an enema and rehydration?

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

This is where I am definitely out of my experience. I’ve never had a constipated cat. Slippery elm can help but it takes time. The George’s Aloe Vera Juice they I linked formypu before, mixed with SEB and water can help but if she’s really impacted, she might need something more.

You can read up on constipation here and perhaps there is something that will help but I do know that sometimes, it’s so bad, they you have to go to the vet for an enema.

I’d also change subject title to “constipation help” or something like that so you get the members who have dealt with it.

Poop, Nelli, poop!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It sounds like she's constipated. There are a couple of options to try however, if there is a bowel obstruction these may not be an option. She may need X-rays to rule out a blockage.

Like Gill said, hydration is helpful. Miralax will draw water from other areas of the body into the gut and help to soften things up. Giving Nelli butter or other oil in her food may also provide a form of lubrication. There are also enema's for pets but I would not do this without consulting with a vet.

It sounds like you've been through the mill with vets. Is there a local cats only practice?

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  7. Krystina & Nelli

Do you think the +3.25 was a bad read?!?
    Thanks. I wish I could find a good vet locally. I really do. Nelli current vet, one who saw my SS and said oh those numbers greens, are very low- (notreferring to lime green), Wants to do a Fructamine (sp) test... wants to do U Culture (with no signs of UTI present?)- I’m going to stop in and see if he’s available to speak with me... in hopes he’ll give me advise on what to try with pooping, give me a fluid bag so I can hydrate her. He will be able to convince me, I’m sure, in his professional opinion he thinks I need to bring her in.

I will update this thread in a timely manner.
    Thanks again.

8. Krystina & Nelli

:(
    @sienne and Gabby
    I can’t get anything to stay down her.
    She eats then goes right to trying pooping- strains so much, which is why I believe she then throws up

9. Krystina & Nelli

:(
    Yes there is The Cat Depot, Which is where all Nelli ills (within couple days went into heart failure then onsetting diabetes began. This was where the vet gave her a steroid injection for mild, keyword mild asthma! Truly it is slim Pickens here in veterinary world, haven’t found a decent one yet

10. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't have any suggestions, just sending prayers. I hope she can poop soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Marje and Gracie

Could be. But she could have been headed down but now the discomfort is causing numbers to go back up.

Constipation can also cause nausea. I doubt fluids alone would help to unplug her and are most valuable to treat dehydration from vomiting. It’s always important to get lots of extra liquid in a cat via food to help prevent constipation.

Are you feeding her raw meat with bone as bone can be very constipating esp in an older cat.

Bellasmom likes this.
  12. Krystina & Nelli

She eats, is hungry but eventually does not keep down. I.e. dehydration I fear :nailbiting: :(
    No. No bones. Raw boneless chix thighs and raw chix heart.

13. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

I see here and elsewhere that when cat seems to be constipated, the vet will first want to rule out UTI.

14. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

15. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Miralax will take a couple of days to work. Mix well with food and bit of water. Also pumpkin. Give one in morning, the other at night, everyday. It will help prevent once Nelli get this out.

16. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Here’s a site to read. Felineconstipation.org.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  17. Krystina & Nelli

Wow. And... OMG! :bighug: :) :bighug:
    This discusses not only today's issues it delves further into ongoing mouth, chomping- slapping at mouth and gagging after eating.
    Will study later (no doubt while sitting waiting @ vet) focused on getting Nelli there.
    Thanks again...YOU continue to be SO VALUABLE to me and Nelli :kiss: :bighug:

Bellasmom likes this.
  18. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

vet would do an xray and then probably an enema if her bowels are full. might be worth the trip

Krystina & Nelli and Bellasmom like this.
  19. Krystina & Nelli

@Marje and Gracie
    Only HIGH in Nelli labs was Amylase. I've read this is associated with digestive tract?
    What, please is your knowledge of Amylase?
    :bighug:

20. Marje and Gracie

That’s the link I left you earlier in this condo post #5:rolleyes:

It’s not significant in cats. Don’t worry about high amylase.

21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It used to be that vets thought high amylase in cats was related to pancreatitis. It's NOT in cats but is in dogs. Why vets seem to think that cats and dogs are alike is beyond me. Amylase levels are pretty meaningless in cats.

Gill & George likes this.
  22. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

You can try the baby enemas,for now or the plain glycerin suppository( plastic gloves and insert with your pinky, cut your fingernail before hand) for babies, they are just glycerin,make sure that is all the ingredient,the enema they have a small bulb, insert and squeeze all the oil in , BUT DO NOT LET GO OF BULB TO SUCK BACK OUT, I think you get 3 or 4 in a pack.Try to Use 3, She will NOT like it , make sure you have her in the tub or bathroom at least for easier clean up.It may help her get the poop started out. I wish I was close to you , I just ordered 6 cat enemas for the in cases.I am the constipated cat pro, believe me. The cat enema works wonders, maybe a pet shop near you has one. If she goes, start giving her at least 1/8 teaspoon miralax with each bigger meal, it will take a couple days, but, it will work, plenty of water with it, even if you have to syringe it. I tried the SEB and it constipated Taco, so back to miralax. Tacos littermate has been on miralax for at least 10 years and he does good with it.

23. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with Sienne. You could try a glycerin suppository but I wouldn't give an enema if she is straining that much and vomiting. It's likely just constipation but if there is an obstruction of some sort or impaction, giving an enema would cause more discomfort and/or worse problems and could be dangerous. If she keeps straining and vomiting, I think the best thing would be to take her to the vet and make sure it's simply constipation.

24. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Love light and healing:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

25. Krystina & Nelli

Gosh, sorry spaced right passed "here" link in post #5 :eek:
    Thank you.
    YEAH :D, "dont worry about high Amylase :cat: :bighug:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Marje and Gracie likes this.
  26. Krystina & Nelli

:mad:

27. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks.
    We are here... just returned from xray.
    ONE MORE DANG DAY Darwin didnt work :-|

28. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks Cindy.

29. Krystina & Nelli

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  30. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

When you mention the mouth symptoms with the constipation, it almost sounds like impaction.
    Whatever the case, hope the vet gets it figured out and treated!

31. Giomax

Giomax Member

What did the X-ray find?

32. Krystina & Nelli

CONSTIPATION. Entire/throughout colon

33. majandra

What are they doing to help it?

34. Krystina & Nelli

Just got home- nelli went under house when I wasn't paying attention.
    12h insulin slated for +.45 ago. Give late or skip :-\

35. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Had she suffered constipstion before? I also give Bubba coconut oil about 1/2 tsp and that usually moves him by the next day.

The vomiting yo of her food is going to cause lower numbers.

Good luck Kystina at the vet. :bighug:

36. Krystina & Nelli

Fluid, anti vomit shot, enama...
    Enema is working s.l.o.w.l.y :(

Giomax likes this.
  37. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

There's a lot to move out. Now you gotta figure out what to give everyday to prevent it.

38. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Nelli. I hope the enema gets rid of all the backed up poop. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

39. Marje and Gracie

Gill & George likes this.
  40. Krystina & Nelli

GREAT to hear!
    I have this (thanks to YOU Marje :)) and Nelli LIKES :cat:
    Mommy-wommies has not given in a while (SSSooooo much to remember and remember, whew)
    I will start in morning and sprinkle on AM/PM meals... every day now :) :cat:
    Thanks again for reminder :bighug:

41. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had another rough day with Nelli. I hope she is cleaned out and back to her naughty Nelli self soon.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

42. Marje and Gracie

The dose is 1/4 tsp twice a day but start low and slowly work up.

43. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Glad you went to the vet and she’s on the way to recovery!

Krystina & Nelli and Giomax like this.
  44. Krystina & Nelli

Nelli was hiding, deep under house all night.
    Iafter not being able to coax her out for hours after hour, I hit the rack. Slept for four hours :) it is approaching nautical sunrise here. Went outside- sat at where Nelli goes under house. Waited. She appeared. Took PM +10. Going to shoot on time (1.5 hr from now). Waiting for towels to warm in dryer. Nellie needs a bath, will get one shortly. Thank you everybody for your following Nelli‘s flight which I hope has landed. I will be in better communication after I get a couple more hours of sleep. Need now to go clean Nelli up and get her into the bed.

Giomax likes this.
  45. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Oh Nellie!
    I'm sorry she didn't come out of the house earlier. Try not to worry about the moment missed shot.

Has she got rid of her blockage? Hope she's feeling better and that she 'enjoys' her bath.

Giomax likes this.
  46. Marje and Gracie

I’m so glad you got her!!!!

47. Krystina & Nelli

No. She is still suffering tonight :(
    Vet said yesterday if she doesn’t poop out by this morning she’ll need to come back, be put in hospital for 24h- IV fluids. Not, I basically told Vet tech. Nelli is not going into hospital for 24 hours. No way in hell. This little kitty is not sick enough to go thru this. OMG, she would become very stressed out and depressed. IknowNelli.
    So, now I am on a quest to help her. I don’t believe I would be successful in giving her (another) enema by myself. I have read cats may need a few enemas spaced out in 2-3 hours- apart. Nelli was given one enema yesterday
    She has only eaten little less than 1/2 cup Farmina Digest kibbles all day. She tried eating dinner (Darwin raw Lamb with added water), ate a couple bites then went to LB... squirted a very small amount of liquid poop :(. She wants to (be able to) eat.
    I need to help her get past this and feel better.
    Meanwhile she had her AM & PM shots :nailbiting:
    Thinking I should skip again in AM if she won’t eat? I’ll test, feed... and shoot only if she eats?
    I’m going to Walgreen now to buy these little glycerin bulbs. I’ll do more research to make sure this would be safe. I have had to use these before and they work amazingly! Yes, Krystina has been constipated before... haven’t you :facepalm: :eek: :mad:? Wink-smile ;)

Giomax and Cindy&Taco like this.
  48. Krystina & Nelli

Yes at 4am!
    She was gone from 6:30p to 4a

49. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Did they give you a cat enema to take home? If so, please try that again, you can do it. If she was full, she needs more than the https://www.target.com/p/pedialax-c...4YLg2qUrLFDRMyZj4sMaArA8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds , Keep her in the bathroom and let it blow, it will. The glycerin isnt going to go deep enough. If they didnt give you the petenema, then at least try to get 3 in. You've got to unblock that stuff. :) Sending you lots of power to get it done. <3

50. Krystina & Nelli

Oh... no. Seriously. If the one s they gave her “doesn’t work, she’ll have to come back in tomorrow, be hospitalized for 24 hours while IV drip.

51. Rosie & Bailey

Rosie & Bailey Well-Known Member

Healing vines for Nelli. I am so sorry you are both dealing with this. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

Here are the ones I keep on hand for Tacos brother mainly, but, started getting scared when SEB didnt work for Taco, back to miralax and fine, just ordered 6. Hope they were a waste of money ;) They came pretty quickly.https://www.allivet.com/p-5561-pet-ema-feline-125-mg-6-ml.aspx
    Also in a pinch, you can buy the adult enemas and empty bottle out, fill with nice lukewarm water,making sure you dont have air in there, you want to make sure you're putting in water not air,lube well,lots of vaseline helps, insert VERY slowly, about 1 1/2 inch and squirt gently. NEVER let go of squeeze container until you have gently pulled it back out ALL the way. Try and squit 1/2 the bottle in. Don't assume your kitty will make it to the litter box. ;) Bathroom confinement is recommended

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  53. Krystina & Nelli

No. She is still suffering tonight :(
    Vet said yesterday if she does poop out by this morning she’ll need to come back, be put in hospital for 24h- I’ve fluids. Not, I basically told Vet tech. Nelli is not going into hospital for 24 hours. No way in hell. This little kitty is not sick enough to go thru this. OMG, she would become very stressed out and depressed. IknowNelli.
    So, now I am on a quest to help her. I don’t believe I would be successful in giving her (another) enama

54. Krystina & Nelli

@majandra ... what do you mean, imaction? I have been wondering recently if this severe constipation may have something connected to | to do with the mouth stuff?

55. majandra

I've only had experience with people in this when I worked as a nurse aide ...

But constipation over too long a period lets the poop dry too much, and it gets stuck( impaction). More poop builds up behind it, and it can't move either. If the poop doesn't start moving, it can fill the entire colon to the point that one can vomit poop. It is a severe health condition.

Eta: in cats, straining while constipated can stimulate the same nerves that cause vomiting too, if I remember right.

56. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers that Nelli poops TONIGHT and no going back to vet !!!!:bighug:❤️

57. majandra

Sending poop vines sounds funny .. but you get the idea :)
    Hope she clears out soon!

58. Giomax

Giomax Member

Keep us updated!

59. majandra

How is Nelli?

60. Krystina & Nelli

See new thread :-\
    Thanks for the shout out

Beth 73 likes this.
  61. majandra

I'm not seeing the new thread- not posted yet?

62. Krystina & Nelli

Just now :-\