02/08 Whiskers AMPS 407 TREATING CUSHINGS WITH TRILOSTANE?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Cheryl & Whiskers (GA), Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Cheryl & Whiskers (GA) Member

previous posts viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36182

I spoke to the IM Vet this afternoon, he said the results from the cortisone test has come back, and as expected she is producing to much cortisone. The IM vet recommends a medication called Trilostane 10mg w/food BID, to better manage cushings disease, this may lower her insulins needs. It should help with other signs of cushings disease as well, thin skin, bald patches (she had a benign cyst removed from one of her rear hocks this fall, and fur hasn't grown back), rounded pot bellylike appearance (I just thought her tummy was a little chubby), excessive thirst (maybe help with IE). In 7-10 days we will have to do an ACTH stimulation blood test to see if the cortisone production has been reduced. It is similar to the test done on Friday, but it only take an hour as opposed to all day on Friday.
    After one month if her immune system has improved, we could consider surgical removal of the malignant adrenal tumor, this is risky as diabetic/cushings cats are fragile, prone to shock, bleeding.
    The IM vet also said she has two somewhat enlarged lymph nodes, it could be caused by her conditions or not. (my mom is a retired RN, she pointed out it could be due to infection, we are continuing treatment w/mometomax of her ear infection).
    I spoke to our regular vet as well, he said 10% of animals can die from the treatment with trilostane.....he said he didn't want me to become upset if something happened. I told him I was already upset, so my state of mind in my opinion is not relevant. He suggested we treat the cushings on Friday, so it was a little unnerving today. That said he told me if she can take pills....pilling has not be a problem with Whiskers. He would go ahead and recommend treatment.
    I think that is most everything. I'm supposed to pick up the medication tomorrow. Does anyone have experiance with Trilostane?
    Thank you for all your support, and have a good night.

2. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Re: 02/08 Whiskers AMPS 407 TREATING CUSHINGS WITH TRILOSTAN

Cheryl,
    I'm afraid I don't have info on this med however we will contact Linda (Bearman) as she has the most experience with Cushings and would be the best person to help you. We don't want you to feel alone. We are here for you.

I will do some research for you too!

All my very best to you!
    xxx
    patti

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl,
    Wow you've got a major whammy haven't you? ((((hugs)))) We will do our best to find you information, and help you in any way we can.
    ..Carolyn

4. Cheryl & Whiskers (GA)

Cheryl & Whiskers (GA) Member

Thank you Patti and Carolyn,

I'm pretty overwhelmed. Thank you for your help.

5. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with this med Cheryl

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Only help I can offer is ((((((((hugs))))))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.