? 02/10 Chanel AMPS 114 Caliper question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura & Chanel, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

@Sue and Luci Hi Sue, Chanel is doing well. On TR since Jan 31st and totally insane about playing with her balls day and night. Levemir is allowing her to have a nice string of blues, hopefully that will last and get her closer to the greens.
    I hope Luci is doing great and the cast is out :)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear from you and thrilled that Chanel is doing well!!! I've been sick lately and wasn't sure if I'd missed your posts or if there weren't any posts :rolleyes: so I'm happy to see your post this morning! Beautiful start to the day too!!

Unfortunately Luci is still wearing her nasty cast - last visit to the vet was a week ago and he said 'another three weeks'. She is healing but very slowly and he feels that it's due to the diabetes - which is very typical. There were two surgical options presented - one was to re-break the toe and install a plate to help it heal properly and the other was to amputate the toe. I told him I'd prefer the non-traumatic, non surgical route - besides with diabetics introducing another would to heal is no guarantee that you're not heading down a slippery slope into further trouble! Besides, I see no point in putting her through that much pain! It's just a waiting game now - and patience on my part. So next week she has another vet appointment to evaluate the break - and we'll go from there.

Thank you for asking about her - hope you and Chanel will have a wonderful day! :bighug:

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It's nice to see an update on Chanel and hear she is being playful and doing so well. :cool::cool:

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Long time no see! It's great to see Chanel doing so well after everything you both went through with her ear infection and food allergies/diarrhoea etc.

Go Chanel!

5. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Chanel hit a new low, 60 at +3. Gave her the usual LC food with some gravy on top and of course her chicken treat. She is alert, holding her head high and paying attention to her balls. Testing her in another 15 minutes.

6. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Chanel is at 53 now, had some gravy (not much into eating the morsels though) and some honey that she loved. Testing her in half an hour or maybe 45 minutes so the food can kick in. Meanwhile, she is playing around and chasing the balls. Still no signs of hypoglycemia.
    For now, testing at every 15 minutes.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd make sure you get the next test in 30 min. You don't want to wait too long.

8. Sue and Luci

What is 'Ulticare' ?

9. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

I just called the manufacturer of the syringes. They refuse to give me the conversion from units to mm saying that I need to discuss that with the vet and that it is a dangerous thing. I mean, really?
    Anyway, @Marje and Gracie can you please tell me how did you find out those conversions? I will be reading the material now as well, but some insight would be great. My syringes are UltiCare VetRx.

10. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

It is the brand I use, made by UltiMed.
    Chanel got to 80. Testing again in 1 hour. The honey is kicking in.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  11. Sue and Luci

I believe Marje is on vacation in Europe currently - let's tag @Sienne and Gabby (GA) and @Wendy&Neko to see if they could help.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

This technique is only used within this forum. Your vet and the manufacturer won’t have a clue. They are wrong that it is dangerous because they don’t understand it. And it’s not really a conversion. I’m certain that’s what made them believe it was dangerous.

Have you read the Dosing with Calipers post? That explains in detail how to determine how to use calipers with your specific syringe and how you make that determination. There are some syringes where members have already done the measurements and they are listed.

13. Sue and Luci

@Marje and Gracie - are you back? Thanks for replying to Laura :bighug:

14. Marje and Gracie

I’m not back but got tagged on an urgent PM so had to deal with that and saw this. I won’t be back and able to actually start advising again until mid March but I respond to PMs.

thanks Sue!

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

@Marje and Gracie I was reading that now. Thank you so much. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing something else or the type of my syringes posted someplace else. Yes, oh well, for them everything is dangerous and they suggested to talk with the vet...AS IF. Not going to make the same mistake again. I will finish reading and hopefully I get it right. I will ask in case of questions. I am planning to stay at home these days and monitor her closely, I do not want to give her a complete reduction based on a couple of values especially that Levemir doses can overlap. I will test her the rest of today and see if she will be able to get a reduction from 1.75 to 1.6. That probably means that I will spend the night awake while she is sleeping.
    Please enjoy your vacation. Sorry, not being around these days so I need to update myself with the latest events on FDMB.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  16. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

@Sue and Luci Thank you very much Sue. I am so sorry to hear about Luci but I feel you took the right decision. Diabetes makes the healing process a long one, no need to add more pain. She will come out of that cast, but she may want to keep it as a trophy or toy :)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  17. Marje and Gracie

Great. If you have any issues and members can’t answer, just PM me and I’ll post on your current condo. It’s easy once you get the hang of it and you’ll be able to do it fast. I canvassed members for measurements of the syringes they are using so if it’s not the, it’s not likely to be anywhere else on the board.

No apologies needed. :) Things change quickly for everyone so it can be difficult to keep up. And thank you. Dealing with family issues in SC right now so vacation doesn’t start for two more weeks ;)

Sue and Luci likes this.
  18. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Well now look at her going green !!!!! If you need help on calipers let me know. I can help you figure out your syringes. I use different ones myself but the way you calculate is the same for any brand.

19. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

@Olive & Paula I definitely need the help, if you have time. Thank you very much. I sent a picture I took of the caliper vs syringe to your email.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  20. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

Please let me know if the caliper picture looks right to you. Thank you.

Attached Files: