02/17/20 Thomas J. AMPS 298, +2.5 266, +4.5 231, +7.5 247, PMPS 273, +4 256 Stuck in the lemon tree.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LilTurkey, Feb 17, 2020.

1. LilTurkey

LilTurkey Member

02/16/20
    He was fighting me this morning. He only hates me touching his ear when he knows he's getting poked. Literally before and after when I'm gently rubbing them he doesn't mind other than it makes them a little itchy and ticklish. I think it's because he knows my routine and that it's coming.
    I gently wipe off excess ointment with a cotton ball, warm the ear up with rice sock, then poke. I give him chicken all throughout this to distract him and usually he doesn't mind a whole lot, today he did.
    He kept moving himself and his ear the whole time. It's not like I'm rough or anything, I try my best to be gentle. It took 3 pokes because it probably wasn't warmed up enough and because he moved every single time and I couldn't get the correct spot.
    He wasn't letting me grab the blood so it was drying by the time I got to it. Didn't let me apply pressure either, kept attacking my arm. Barely managed to get a little ointment on it.
    This is going to make frequent testing with the new dose today difficult. Maybe I need to use the element of surprise to my benefit and do it when least expected.
    Wishing everybody a wonderful week ahead!

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry he was fighting you so much. I hope things are easier today. Have you tried getting the blood drop on your fingernail and testing from there?

Darcy and Jonesy and LilTurkey like this.
  3. LilTurkey

LilTurkey Member

Thank you. I have a nail biting habit so no nail to grab it with, it just ends up dripping between my skin and nail stub instead. I use either my clean, dry finger to grab it or the side of a test strip which usually works well. He just wouldn't let me touch him to get it at all.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: Added extra information.
  4. Astexcat

Astexcat Member

They sell long acrylic nail tips, could you keep one of those with your testing supplies and use it to grab the blood dot? Actually, anything stiff and non-absorptive would work.

I've never thought of taking the blood from my finger nail so I'll have to try that when Smudge is being inclined to fight me.

LilTurkey likes this.
  5. LilTurkey

LilTurkey Member

I read someone's comment on another post saying not to rub or pet the injection site after you give insulin. Is that bad? How does that affect it? I do that almost every time, now I'm wondering if that's affecting the insulin's effectiveness.

6. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Hi Brittany,

Are you giving low carb treats after every poke? My guy, as he is TOTALLY food motivated, knows to jump up on his desk when I shake the container with the Purebites chicken in it.

I don't think that rubbing the area is a bad thing, but I guess the more poking, the more sensitive? But rubbing it will only bring more blood to the area so for testing purposes, that's a good thing!

I'm sorry he's giving you such a hard time :( I'm wondering, and I'm just throwing this out there, do you feel you even need the warmed up sock? The ear may have "learned to bleed" (which is does over time) by now. Have you tried just taking the sample without the routine? Again, so sorry he's a little tough guy. Hang in there, you're doing great :bighug:

Darcy

LilTurkey likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You do NOT want to rub the injection site. Lantus forms microcrystals in the fat tissue. These crystals gradually dissolve which is what helps to give Lantus its duration and form a depot. Rubbing the injection site prematurely breaks up the crystals. Even the package insert instructs that you should not rub the injection site..

@Darcy and Jonesy

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hope he cooperates today.

LilTurkey likes this.
  9. LilTurkey

LilTurkey Member

Well, now I know. I won't do that ever again. Thank you for the information. I'll need to more thoroughly read the insert, I've only skimmed it.

10. LilTurkey

LilTurkey Member

Thanks for the support. Yes, I give treats before, during, and after. He also comes running when I shake the bag. The insulin injection I meant to say, not the test. It's a big no no apparently so I won't be touching the site anymore after shooting. When I don't warm it up about 80% of the time I don't get enough blood then have to poke more unfortunately.

Darcy and Jonesy likes this.
  11. LilTurkey

LilTurkey Member

I got a lot of tests today but his numbers didn't really change much, stuck in the lemon tree, hopefully he'll come down soon.

12. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

Holy cow! No, I never knew that!!! Will stop now :( Thank you @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

In my initial reply here to @LilTurkey I was talking about the test sight on the ear, I totally MISSED that she was talking about the injection site, but now I know!

LilTurkey likes this.