02/20/2012 Spitzer biopsy concluded

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Previously

They said to pick up the food at midnight; I picked it up at 1.

And this morning's blood glucose was 36. Obviously, I did not give him insulin! I called ahead to warn them that he might need glucose asap, although he seemed alert and very, very hungry.

There was a big pile of pooh by the front door on the paper I'd put down for it. There were also traces of pooh along the hallway - It might have been clinging to him and he tried to rub it off. I took a speciumen into the vet, in case they can get anything diagnostic from it.

When I dropped him off and signed the consent for surgery, I also said that if he arrested, to let him go. He's struggled so hard to keep going, but I don't want him to suffer.

The vet called about an hour later to say that his glucose was up to 100 after giving him a small amount of food. If he remains stable, they will do the biopsy in the afternoon.

The vet called around 2 pm my time to say the Spitzer's glucose was now up to 220 and she felt it was safe to proceed with the biopsy. It should take about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on what is found and what happens during the procedure.

He handled the anesthesia well. The intestines were uniformly thickened and 2 biopsies were taken from it. There was a very enlarged lymph node and that was biopsied. The pancreas looked 'angry' - puffy/swollen, and it was biopsied too.

She also cracked off some tartar (not a total cleaning). It's late in our day so he will stay overnight, on fluids. I'm going over with his insulin and other meds shortly.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 02/20/2012 Spitzer biopsy may be postponed; BG 36

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.
    jeanne

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Re: 02/20/2012 Spitzer biopsy proceeding; BG up to 220

Any news on how dear Spitzer is doing?

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Goood booooy SpitzerBaby....lubs u...

HUGS BJ!! I'm so relieved too....

5. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

BJ

Spitzer has been through so much. Praying for him and hoping you are doing well.

Terri

6. Barn Cats R Us

Barn Cats R Us Member

Hi BJ,

I still look in on your threads from time to time (cause you give such darn good advice), and I found this Spitzer update. Tears came to my eyes when I saw that you said to let him go if he arrested. I am so relieved he handled the anesthesia. You and Spitzer have been through so much, and you have done EVERYTHING you could possibly think of for him. You have both been through so much...I hope something good comes from the biopsy results. Sending good vibes, and many hugs your way.

Deb
    [​IMG]

7. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

Praying for Spitzer
    You are both in my thoughts and prayers

8. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Very glad to hear that Spitzer got through the biopsy ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.