03/04 Tinka 106 AMPS,54+2.5,43+4,67+4.75,47+5.5,50+6,59+6.5,68+7,97+8,166+105,191 PMPS,275+2.5

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by TanyaG, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Good morning all,

Tinka is 106 this morning, so I fed her her usual meal and have just given her a 1.75U shot. Will test again at +2 to make sure she isn't crashing.

Thanks

Ben

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Tinka is looking good. I hope she surfs safely today.

TanyaG likes this.
  3. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Thanks so much Carla :) She was 3 at 2.5. Does that indicate a pretty active cycle? She didn't finish all her breakfast at AMPS. We had to give her extra food last night before we went to bed as she was low so she's not that hungry today. Not great when she's already this low. But I'm happy to be seeing such great values. Just concerned with curving her if values are low. She has eaten 1.5 little LC treats at +2.5. I'll test again soon.
    Tanya

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  4. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

+4 is 2.4 / 43. This is actually the lowest reading we've ever had as its with accu-check. The other glucometer we were using last time she tested hypo was at least 16 points less than the accu-check which would mean she'd currently be 27.

I just fed her 40 grams with 3 drops honey which she ate fast as she's now appearing really hungry. I'll test again in 10 mins. I had a feeling she was looking for a dose reduction so I guess she took it. I'm just a little concerned she's only at +4 and may drop more.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

By intervening with HC, you will hopefully be steering the cycle back up. You want to re-test in no more than 20 min to make sure numbers are going up. Please review the instructions in the Shooting and Handling Low Numbers sticky. It will walk you through the test/feed/repeat plan for managing low numbers.

If your instincts were telling you that Tinka was angling for a reduction, respect your gut! Likewise, a drop from 106 to 54 by +2 would have had me re-testing by no later than +3.

TanyaG likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Is Tinka showing hypo symptoms? Or is it just a low blood sugar event? Test again soon.

Congrats on the reduction,

TanyaG likes this.
  7. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Thanks Wendy :) She's not showing hypo symptoms just very aggetated whilst I was trying to do her BG and acting very hungry and desperate for food. She had a good bump up after the HC now to 67 at +4.75. I gave her 1 more tsp LC as she was still begging for food which is not like her. She's now laying down but not sleeping. I'll test again in 15 mins.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  8. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Thanks so much for the info! Yes my aim was to get in a +3 or +3.5 but unfortunately I couldn't as i'm sick myself today so earliest I could get in another test was +4 and DH isn't here as he's had dental surgery. She gave a nice bump up to 67 at +4.75. Gaver her another tsp. Ill test again in 15mins.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Please take care of yourself!! Just as an FYI, since Tinka has earned a dose reduction, if you're feeling lousy, you can abort the cycle by giving more HC than you might ordinarily give her. If you're like me, when I'm sick, I sleep. The best way to keep your kitty safe in a situation like this is to be a bit generous with the carbs.

TanyaG likes this.
  10. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Thanks so much for your support! :) Thats good to know. I will try to not abort but if I feel worse then I will. Are there any negatives to aborting a cycle?

Just did a +6.5 (took 30 mins to get blood from her ear as she's in a very aggetated mood with the BG testing today which is not like her, I think its because she's feeling low and hungry, so had to take a break and soothe her). She's now dropped to 47. Just fed her 1tsp LC and 4 drops honey. How much honey would be considered aborting the cycle? Hoping 4 drops will still be on track. They are pretty small drops that I'm estimating as I'm using raw honey, thats what I usually use.

11. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Ok so she's now 50 at +7. Not really much increase since being 47 at +6.5 and gaver her HC. Should I give a little HC again. I'm thinking this would be good?

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I would keep doing what you're doing unless you start to feel really lousy. It may help you to see a SS where numbers were being steered with HC food. You're welcome to take a look at Gabby's SS. If you look at the 2014 tab, you can see how I was testing. I have notes in the Comments about what I was feeding. Gabby couldn't tolerate the gluten in HC food so I used either honey or Karo (corn) syrup to steer her numbers. The amount of HC was dependent on the numbers.

There are generally no negative consequences to aborting a cycle unless you feed your kitty an enormous amount of HC.

13. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Thanks Sienne appreciate your help! I will def check out Gabby's SS now to get a better idea of steering. Tinka's getting full now so not wanting to eat much. Having to really coax her to finish the 1 tsp. If I need to give her more at next test it'll have to be on her paw as she wont eat more now. Hoping she'll be hungry enought to eat at PMPS as we're likely going to have to shoot low.

So should I keep giving her small amounts of honey at each test till she's in the 60's?

How much HC (honey) would be considered aborting the cycle?

14. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Also I should probably mention I'm following TR method

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The problem with an amount is that it "depends." I know -- that's not terribly helpful but it's accurate. Part of what gets taken into consideration is how fast a drop is, how low the numbers are (If the numbers are at a 49 I'm not going to be as aggressive vs if the numbers are at a 29, in which case, I'm generous with the HC), how carb sensitive your cat is, where in the cycle the drop occurs, etc.

One question, if you're giving HC food, are you giving mostly gravy or are you giving Tinka solids, as well. Generally, you want to lean more on the gravy side of the equation so your kitty doesn't get full.

16. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

So I just went onto the sticky on handling low numbers and its says -

If your cat is testing in low numbers and you are not getting a quick response to your post, there are several things you need to do. (Low numbers are under 50mg/dL or 2.8 mmol/L.)
    • Depending on how carbohydrate sensitive your cat is, feed approximately a teaspoon or less of gravy from high carb food or high carb food only. (If you have a cat with GI issues, using a couple of drops of syrup plus low carb food is an alternative.)
    • Test again in 15 – 20 min. Depending on the numbers, give more HC food.
    • Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range.
    • Test in 30 - 40 min. and repeat the test and feed process until there are 2 consecutive tests where numbers are stable or rising.
    • Test in an hour and follow the same steps.
    I was just wondering what it means when it says "Repeat the above steps every 15 – 20 min. until your cat tests in the 50 mg/dL (2.8 mmol/L) or above range for 2 consecutive tests. Continue to feed in small amounts to keep numbers in a safe range." So once Tinka is testing in the 50's do you feed HC or LC for 2 consecutive tests? Thereafter would it be LC? If she's not eating though what should I do? Thanks!

17. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Thank you that is helpful :) We just cross posted, pls see my post above and let me know your thoughts. Tinka has food allergies so I can't feed HC food or gravy etc. I can only feed LC raw plus honey.

18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Gabby was the same way -- she was gluten intolerant and the gravy based foods contain gluten. I added honey or Karo to LC food.

Ideally, when you're steering the cycle after a drop below 50 (with TR), you give "some" HC (I would add 2 - 3 drops of honey or Karo to a small amount of Gabby's LC food), wait 15 - 20 min, re-test. Then, if numbers were still in the 50s or lower, repeat feeding some HC and then test in another 15 or 20 min. You keep up the pattern of testing to make sure numbers are in a safe range and if not, feeding HC and testing. (This is colloquially referred to as "lather, rinse, repeat.") If you can keep your kitty surfing in the 60 - 70 range, that's wonderful. That's a lower green range but not so low that you don't have a margin of safety. The trick is that because you intervene with HC, you can get a false sense of security. If the HC wears off, the numbers can drop again.

When you're first learning how to manage numbers, it's not uncommon to panic and overzealously carb your cat. People here will probably share just how much carb they've given (a can of HC food, 2 tablespoons of Karo).

TanyaG likes this.
  19. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Thank you Sienne this is really helpful info! Ok so +5.5 she was 47 and I fed 1 tsp LC + 4 drops honey. +6 she was 50 and I fed 1 tsp LC + 3 drops honey. She struggled to finish eating this as she's no longer hungry. +6.5 she was 59 and I managed to get her to eat a LC treat. I'll test again in 10-15 mins time to get a +7. If she drops I'll give her 3 drops honey on her paw and I'll try a LC treat if she'll eat it. If she's the same or higher I'll try a LC treat but if she wont eat it then I may have to try give her nothing.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  20. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Ok so Tinkas +7 was 68. Gona get a +8 in 5-10 mins time. Let's hope she's surfing or going up gently. Mama bear is feeling pretty tired and needs some rest.

21. TanyaG

TanyaG Member

Tinkas has been on quite the roller coaster ride today and with mama in tow. She earns a reduction earlier today when she dropped below 50, so we shot 1.5u tonight. She only ate about half her dinner though and that took serious coaxing. She had so much extra food on the AM cycle becayse of the low blood sugar and needing to feed her to curve her up so she wasn't hungry at all tonight.

We just took a +2.5 and she's 275 which is higher than we typically see on a bounce but I'm assuming as she was below 50 for several hours today as we tried to curve her up so maybe just her body reacting to that. Will try her last feed in a little bit really hope she eats a bit more and hope she clears this bounce soon. It's been quite the day! Thanks @Sienne and Gabby (GA) for all your help today :) Hope everyone else has had a safe & good Saturday with your fury family :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.