03/09 Boomer AMPS 110 +3 58 +6 56 PMPS 95 +3 76 more on Allen, help please?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 110 shooting 1.75u

Well apparently I didn't feed Boomer enough at 11:00 +3 last night; he started yelling around 1:30. sigh. He did eat all of his fuds last night and when I woke up this morning he was snuggled against me.

Allen ate well last night too.

Today on this Bean's agenda....finishing editing the cake smash from last weekend and preparing props for another cake smash on Sunday. On Wednesday when DH and I decided to proceed on our basement project I made the mistake of climbing the stairs 4 times, my knee was hurting a bit that evening and then yesterday shopping with DD aggravated it some more so now I'm in pain again and having trouble walking. So most of today will be spent on the couch with ice on my knee.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmmmm the kitties are behaving well medically but momma bean is having issues! Sounds like the cats need to be in charge :cat:

Beth 73 and Judy and Boomer like this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Boomer keep it cool today. Can have lots of snuggles if mom stays ON the couch. Cake smash sounds good to me, always up for cake. Devils food with white frosting my fav.

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  4. Judy and Boomer

I think they are. :rolleyes:

MyTitan (GA) likes this.
  5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Nice kitty reports despite the wake up call. I hope you're knee feels better soon...how frustrating!

6. Judy and Boomer

I was stupid to climb those stairs so many times. :oops::oops:

7. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice start for Bommer! Try to rest up; hope your knee feels better soon.

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad both kitties ate well. I hope Boomer gives you a blue/green surf today. Sending prayers for your knee.

9. Judy and Boomer

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Wow Boomer, you are getting a bit close to the sharks! Swim a little closer to shore Dude!

11. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

It’s hard to let the knee heal but please go easy for a while. Glad the boys are doing good.

12. Judy and Boomer

Dr Larry wants us to switch Allen to a veterinary renal diet. Canned.
    I've looked at Tanya's info and although it does seem that the canned renal food is a good option, it does have high carbs which shouldn't be fed to a cat with a tumour.
    Also, a basic problem I have is for those meal times when we will be away and, unless we shut one of our cats in a room by themselves, they will eat each other's food. It won't hurt Allen to eat Boomer's food occasionally but I definitely don't want Boomer eating Allen's food if it's high carb.

Sigh

Opinions/suggestions?
    And that's the problem I had with this dose previously. 1.75 is too much for him, 1.5 is too little, and the dose in-between seems to difficult to get on a regular basis.

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Boomer, surf in greens to keep this dose as it looks good and maybe he'll earn a reduction by staying in all green for a week.

I wish I could offer some advice on Allen. Hope some peeps weigh in with some good options for you.

14. Judy and Boomer

15. Amy&TrixieCat

Dr Lisa's food list has carbs and phosphorous worked out - could you pick some options from her list and present those ideas Dr Larry? It does get tricky finding a food that is LC and low phos and something they will eat, though, but there are some options that fall into the LC/low phos category. Towards the end, I had switched Trix to Newman's Own Organic Chicken Dinner because it was LC and low phos...she did OK with it.

16. Judy and Boomer

Hi Amy. Dr Lisa's list is what I tried to go by but the low carb low p options in Canada are few and far between and Allen didn't like some of the options. We opt for low carb and the lowest p we can get that he will eat and then use a p binder.

17. Amy&TrixieCat

Sorry...I totally forgot about the Canada thing.

18. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I have two cats who are not allowed to eat each other’s food. One has renal disease and eats Royal Canin renal “E” food. She isn’t diabetic, so I can’t comment on the carb situation.

Since they can only eat their own foods they each have a SureFeed microchip pet feeder.

The dish is activated by microchip. It only opens for the cat that is programmed into it. If they don’t have microchips, there is a tag included that can be worn on a collar.

It would work best if your two cats were trained to use the dishes all the time, not just while you are away. There is a slight learning curve involved. One advantage is that the sliding lid keeps canned food fresher and less crusty if you are away for longer lengths of time.

The dishes are very pricey. I bought mine on amazon.ca

https://www.surepetcare.com/en-us/pet-feeder/microchip-pet-feeder

19. Judy and Boomer

They are pricey, aren't they?
    We normally make a point of being at home when it's their meal times. But there will be times when we can't be.

I'm inclined to stick with the food we have......currently there are 2 kinds that both kitties can eat (although Allen's has a p-binder in it) and then there is one fancy feast that Allen eats and 4 other fancy feast types that Boomer will eat. I hate the idea of trying to switch Allen to a new food when he's eating so well now.
    IDK. But I expressed my concern that the Renal Diet is a lot higher in carbs and Allen has a tumour and should be on a low carb diet. I haven't heard back lol

Beth 73 and Linda and Bear Man like this.
  20. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Don’t know if you can get Whole Earth Duck in Canada , Judy, but it and Holistic Select is what I feed all my boys . Low carb, low phos

21. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 95 shooting 1.75u

22. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

We got the CKD diagnosis some years ago and the first thing I did was research food since it was so early, no particular treatment was recommended other than a prescription renal diet. I don’t have any of this info fresh in my head, unfortunately, but what stuck with me was this:

The renal diets were composed such that they are higher in carbs and much lower in protein. It is thought that restricting protein makes things easier on the kidneys. The problem being cats are carnivores, obviously, and even if it did their kidneys a favor, what does a low protein diet do to the rest of them? What I read (and saw with my own eyes of friend’s cats on renal diets)...they muscle waste, bony protruding spine, skinny hips and back legs, big belly, spiky fur, they eat their own muscle protein. To me, that’s the look of a cat not long for this world, and I’ve seen it come true more than once in other people’s cats, sadly. I decided that wasn’t the way I wanted to go with it and found some other evidence that high protein diets can work with CKD and some proteins are more ideal than others (why is the fuzzy bit, it’s been too long since I researched, but the better ones were chicken, Turkey, rabbit, pheasant, etc. and not beef, pork, fish or seafood). I only recently started considering phosperhous content more closely, Asia was stable eating raw food, with bone as opposed to eggshell for a good 2-3 years. The only thing I changed was the protein type, she was previously eating Primal raw which mixed chicken with salmon. I switched to another brand that just allowed the chicken as a single protein.

Don’t know if that helps any, but just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Reason for edit: typo
  23. Judy and Boomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.