03/15 Boomer AMPS 205 +3 230 PMPS 214 +3 209, questions about B12 injections

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 205 shooting 2u

These numbers are really irritating me but today, if he doesn't show signs of working the juice in a big way by +3, we'll possibly take the opportunity to go somewhere this afternoon; possibly to the Aylmer Wildlife Management Centre where the Tundra Swans are hanging out for a while during their migration north.

Boomer woke us once last night but came btb when I called him. He ate all of his +3, all of the extra plate of food, about half of his +6 and not much of his +9 although he did of course eat the chicken pieces off the top of it.

Allen was fasted last night, has had his alendronate, and will get to eat in 1.5 hours. Allen has an appt with Dr Larry again tomorrow so that Dr Larry can get a urine sample from him. We were going to try to obtain the sample at home but we never seem to be able to catch Allen in the litter box :rolleyes: We'll also buy a small number of the cans of renal diet so we can see if Allen likes it. I'm also waiting to hear from Dr Larry about B12 injections; he told me the bottle can be purchased at a pharmacy or from him (I had been under the impression it came in pre-loaded syringes). He told me to give it to Allen weekly but hasn't told me how much.

I'm sure there are lots of Beans giving B12 shots....how much do you give (does it depend on the weight of the cat....Allen is about 10 (canadian) lbs) and is there a certain size syringe I need to use? I'm assuming it's given sub q like insulin is? Canadian Beans....where is the best place to buy it?

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Boomer starts working the increase and heads down today. Sorry he woke you up again. I don't know anything about the B12.

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Judy, B12 can be bought without a prescription but I buy it at my vet's for convenience sake because they preload the syringes for me. It should be kept out of direct sunlight or light so they put the syringes in a tin and when I need more, I just call them and take the tin with the used syringes with me for them to dispose of. It's not expensive at all. 6 prefilled syringes for me are around $18. I only give it every 2-4 weeks now.

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Oh, Boomer...that's all I'm going to say.

When we did the few B12s with Trix, the vet gave us several pre-loaded syringes like Sandi's vetty did. But, I could see a vial would be a good way to go, too. Dr Larry didn't give you info on shooting it?

Good luck with the pee sample tomorrow!

5. Judy and Boomer

Dr Larry did indicate we could buy a bottle of it from him.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  6. Judy and Boomer

Nope :rolleyes: Just that it's available in a bottle over the counter or from him. I've asked for dosing info.

7. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd get him to spell that info out for you. I can't remember the size of the syringes, other than they were bigger than insulin syringes. They were probably the same size as our adequan syringes...which, of course I can't remember either....so overall, I'm a real big help today :rolleyes::oops:!

8. Shoeskitty-GA

The syringes and needles are quite a bit larger than the insulin syringes. For that reason, I shoot in the scruff.

9. Judy and Boomer

Finally remembered to test Allen's BG (close to half an hour after he ate). 56. sigh.

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Jones gets .25ml once a month. I use the insulin needles and just pull to 25 units. I used to have the bigger barrel needles but the vet said that the insulin syringes would work. I bought a vial about a year and half a ago. Keep it in the cupboard in the box. Should probably check the expiry date.

He started at 0.25ml every week I think for 4 weeks, then every 2 weeks for 6 weeks and now just gets it every month.

11. Judy and Boomer

Oh seriously what is this cat doing? +3 230 :stop::blackeye::(:cat:

12. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Do you have methyl cobalamin or cyan cobalamin? I give Yum 0.5ml cyanocobalamin once a week. I use 2 insulin syringes. The seal on the B12 bottle is pretty tough. I often ruin a few needles (won't draw fluid) before I get 2 to work. I use the short 6mm needles, which might contribute to the problems.

13. Shoeskitty-GA

Maybe some NDW since you just raised his dose?

14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I bought B 12 at Costco by the bottle and shot in the scruff. It doesn’t sting. B complex does sting. It’s also effective as a pill.

15. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

I got the b12 online and I just use the insulin syringe to about the 25 mark. It’s almot full and this is not for Aurora it’s for my other one who was having soft poop issues. I give weekly though that probably isn’t necessary since her poops are firm again.

16. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 214 shooting 2u

17. Judy and Boomer

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I just go to the vet and have her or a tech give the B-12. Rusty was started out on once a week for a month, then once every 2 weeks for a month, and since then, once a month.

I hope you got to see the swans today.

Good vetty vines for Allan tomorrow.
    Work that juice, Boomer!

19. Judy and Boomer

We did! They post a swan count each day and there were over 1200. At peak times there are apparently 5000!

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

WOW! That would be amazing to see!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.