03/16/18 Texas Gizmo PMPS=160, +2=179, +4.5=163

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

03/15 +11=148

AMPS=136

Left 1/4-1/3 can of AD down overnight (free-fed) and he ate all of it.

Gave him 30 grams for AMPS meal and he ate almost all. Will leave the rest (79 grams) of the can down (free-fed) today.

Will give him his Cerenia and Ondan in a bit. Scared to give him any pain meds while I am not here. I did yesterday AM and he passed out somewhere out of site of the webcam and didn't eat AT ALL. I had to run home around 10am and get him to try and eat (and tested - his numbers were fine). I gave him a mirtz and reset the feeder so it would turn with his food again and he ate almost all of the AM cycle food - but I can't run home every day. It is a very tight turn around. I can hit the pain meds starting tonight (assuming that this is a panc flare).

a/d is 6% but last time it didn't really have that much impact on his numbers.

Thank God it is Friday!

Tanya and Ducia and MJW like this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad he ate last night and this morning. I hope he eats for you today. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yeah for eating! Don't you wish you knew where he hides so you can put a camera in there. If he's eating better, sounds like he is feeling better too.

TGIF ! :bighug:

4. LizzieInTexas

He had gained back a bit of weight as of last Sunday (look at the comments section on the SS). He complains every ime I pick him up but not sure if it is pain or just not happy with me right now. I think there may be pain though. He has that "pained" look to him. I will treat like a panc flare which could have been brougt on by the reaction to the AB.

5. LizzieInTexas

He has been "hiding" under the coffee tables in the living room. But he didn't even come in to drink water (he could have been drinking from the water bowl upstairs too). All I know is I managed to work myself into a panic attack and had to cone home to check on him. He met me at the door looking like "what are you doing here?" :banghead: And was perfectly fine. :banghead::banghead:

6. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to hear Gizmo ate overnight! I know probiotics are important when kitties are on AB and I discovered Bronx will lick up Kefir even without mixing it with food. Maybe give it a try if you're having trouble getting any probiotics in Gizmo?

7. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I hope Gizmo has a good day.

8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Bless your heart, Lizzie :bighug::bighug::bighug: Thank goodness it’s Friday and you can be home :bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. LizzieInTexas

Vet wants to give Convenia - when I voiced my concern they questioned what "horror" stories I had heard. I didn't have an answer.

In looking at Tanya's site - there isn't much there with regards to the "danger" of Convenia - other than it can stay in their system up to 65 days. (https://felinecrf.org/treatments_antibiotics_painkillers.htm#cefovecin)

Gizmo has had Convenia previously. He has had two shots (that I am positive about) but way back. 2015 time period.

It was the Tech that called (Dr. Jen is out on vacation this week but the tech had spoke with her). I am going to manage this weekend as if this is a Panc flare (which I am starting to believe may actually be the case - brought on by the infection, AB, diarrhea or what ever).

Dr. Jen will call on Monday to discuss further and is leaning towards referring me to an internist (which might not be a bad idea if they are willing to work with Dr. Jen and myself).

Regardless - what is the danger to giving him the Convenia? Especially if he has had it previously with no negative side effects.

BTW - he has eaten almost all of the a/d that I left down for him this morning - doin the happy dance!! :smuggrin:

10. Beth 73

Main thing I don’t like ab Convenia is cannot be retrieved... once injected it can’t be stopped as in oral AB . But I do like it cos is injected and doesn’t cause tummy upset . Kinda catch 22 , Lizzie but if Gizmo hadn’t had prob with it it might be an option . Happy Friday !!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    LizzieInTexas likes this.
  11. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

all my info on Convenia is from Dr. Pierson's, HERE is the link to read more.
    It looks that she is still making her colleagues aware of possible adverse reactions and sounds cautious in general about the med.
    From her blog: "The most common reactions I have read reports of are anemia, tremors/ataxia, seizures, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, and death. To repeat what I said above, all drugs have side effects but it is my opinion that Convenia is being administered far too often when there are safer choices available for nearly all cases." (the underlining is mine)

Sorry I cannot recall but I think Gizmo was anemic, was he not?
    If yes I'd read more about it and then talk to the vet about possible dangers.

I hope Gizmo recovers soon!

12. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I would've been racing home, too. He probably was snoozing - most pain meds make one sleepy. But without cam evidence, who the h' knows what is happening.
    Wishes for a more :bighug::bighug:relaxing weekend for all of you.

13. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Personally, I will not allow any of my cats to be given Convenia, even though Squallie has had it, safely, in the past. One of the important things to know about Convenia, aside from it's potential, horrible side effects and the unbelievable length of time it can stay in the system, is that it was designed to be a treatment for skin infections in dogs. Most of the conditions that vets Rx it for cats are not even conditions that type of AB will treat!!! So it can have the potential to be dangerous, without the potential for doing any good.

14. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit of a tough call with Convenia. Working at a vet clinic; our doctors use it fairly often in cats. That being said, we do use it as somewhat of a last resort. As you already said, the main concern is that once given; it cannot be reversed in any way. We try to use Convenia in cats that will not allow oral medications (or with owners who cannot or are not able to give them). I have administered MANY Convenia injections and have only seen one adverse reaction (in a canine patient who experienced an almost immediate anaphylactic reaction - scary, YES! but we treated her, and she did amazingly well, and bounced back to normal - has since been confirmed that she cannot receive ANY antibiotics in the same class as Convenia).

As with all medications; you have to use your and your veterinarian's best judgement. Darwin has received two Convenia injections in his 7.5 years, and has experienced no ill effects. His recent course of Clavamox, however, caused diarrhea for 2 weeks. It just depends on the cat, I believe.

LizzieInTexas and Stacy & Asia like this.
  15. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending feel better vines for Gizmo. Hope you find some time for yourself this weekend! :bighug:

16. LizzieInTexas

Thank you for all the reply re: Convenia. I knew it, but couldn't provide any details. I will discuss with the vet on Monday.

PMPS=160

History:
    AMPS=136, +2=115

The boy is feeling GOOD!! He ate all his food this AM (110 grams :eek:) Met me at the door purring and talking to me the whole time I was fixing his food then wolfed down his PS meal (30 grams) in less than 1 minute :eek:. Gave him his meds (cerenia, ondan, BP meds) then 1/2 Canna mixed with a wee bit of fishy food and gave him another dose of Torbogesic(sp).

He hasn't been this alert and bright eyed in a long time!

Got to go run some errands for the weekend.

17. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Some long overdo great news for Gizmo! Keep it up, Gizmo! :cat:

I hope this is a sign of a good weekend for you both! :bighug:

18. LizzieInTexas

Thank you! I am beyond thrilled.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  19. Beth 73

It’s Happy Dance time !!!! What a way to start the weekend, Lizzie :bighug::bighug::bighug: All your love and determination is paying off !!!:)

20. LizzieInTexas

Very strange that it happened so fast. He seems so relaxed. He looks comfortable. Eating is a bit slow but he is eating.

I have to wonder was it the small amount of fluids of the pain meds?

21. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to hear Gizmo is feeling better, just in time for the weekend...

22. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

:woot:
    It sure sounds great! Maybe we're on a roll. At least 3 of us doin' good.
    :woot: :woot: :woot:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.