04/03 Shmee AMPS 273

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/04-02-shmee-amps-277.193529/

No more blues or greens yet although I am happy to see no pink :oops: yesterday :). We have a vet appointment tomorrow to check his liver levels again (previous labs on his SS), so I am really hoping for some low numbers so we don't have to travel an hour away for an ultrasound :blackeye:

Have a good day everyone!

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines on the vet visit and hoping for some lower numbers! Nice blue on that plus two! Big drop though..did you feed a little snack to help Shmee surf?

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the vetty visit goes well tomorrow. I hope Shmee surfs safely today.

4. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you both!

Hmm I am not really sure what you mean. He was grazing (old dry food habits) that whole time from AMPS to +3 when I give him a little more food. I gave him one can of FF (LC) at AMPS, and that lasted until his +3 when I gave him more food. He usually doesn't eat a full can in the morning but I gave him his appetite stimulant pill Saturday so I think that is still in his system making him hungry. Plus he really likes the new flavor FF (chicken feast) so he ate a lot today. Forgive me I am new and trying to learn how the food affects the numbers?

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It was just that he dropped about a 100 points by +2, so if you feed a little lc snack it might slow him down from dropping too far too fast and help keep him in some nice numbers for awhile vs. bouncing right back up again. Like he did on March 29th...went from pink to green back to pink. Maybe see if you can keep him yellow to blue to yellow instead with some well timed snacks.

6. Amanda & Shmee

Ok, so when you see a drop like that like at that +2 you think a snack (I have freeze dried salmon and minnows that he likes?) would help to surf better? It's hard to believe a little snack would help that, I am so curious how it works! Thank you for the advice because yes like you said sometimes they are big drops! I will have to remember to give a little snack if its a big drop.

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I hope that works for you! I feed Jones some freeze dried treats, not that he has dropped low in a very long time!.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yellow better than pink, but come on Shmee and get back to some blues and greens.

Like Tracey was saying , when they drop a big amount fast like he did from PS to + 2 , it can set them up for bouncing. Sometimes those big drops cause kitty to bounce as much as if it were a really low number. The use of a LC snack when that happens can help to slow things down and flatten out the curve some to help reduce the chance of bouncing.

Good luck with the vet and his liver levels.

9. Amanda & Shmee

Thanks very much - out of curiosity what LC snacks do both your kitties like? I have tried the freeze dried liver, he wouldn't touch it. I tried the freeze dried salmon and minnows from a recommendation on the Facebook page and he loves those, but cats shouldn't have too much seafood I've read too so I don't want to give him too much a day? I tried baked chicken and he sort of liked it.. but after a few days wouldn't touch it. Maybe I should try freeze dried chicken.

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I use freeze dried wild boar, lamb and duck. I use the Orijen brands, get the dog package...same as the cats package but cheaper.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Amanda, try poaching some chicken breast and the cutting it up in little pieces and refrigerate enough for about 3 days and you can portion it up and freeze the rest. Save the poaching liquid. Kitties love it and it gets more water into them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.