? 04/19 Increasing dose ?? Nam-kha AMPS 398 +1 419 +10 380 PMPS 400 +2 281

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cyndy, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...5-254-pmps-362-3-79-4-83.194325/#post-2174253

Thank you Stephanie for your answer :) She ate normally yesterday. She had her wet food + a hand full of dry food for the night.

After our little adventure last night, Nam-kha is up again at 398. It's frustrating to see those ups and downs :(

Today I can't come home for lunch (I usually can't), so I can only do a +9 or 10 when I get back from work.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Looking at Nam-kha's SS, I'm wondering if I should increase her dose. She's in the red a lot :/

3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Hi Cyndy,

Are you using TR or SLGS?

When Nam-kha had symptomatic hypoglycemia, was this before you were testing? Or do you know what the number was?

I think you have room for an increase (on TR), but I would do it on a cycle/cycles where you can monitor so you make sure you can get the lowest point (or prevent that point from going too low with food). Sometimes increases show up right away, sometimes it takes a cycle or two.

4. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Hi @Stacy & Asia

I'm trying to follow SLGS but I'm new at all this. Yes, it was before I started to test and it happened two days in a row (first time she was getting 2.5 units, then the next day we lowered to 1.5 with the vet).

I can try an increase tomorrow and on Sunday, I'll be at home to monitor :)

Today her AMPS is at 247. FINALLY OUT OF THE RED! :)

5. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Ah, okay, so she was likely very low indeed. She was acting okay for the 43 on 5.4, yes?

Following SLGS on 18.4, you would have actually decreased after the 79 in the pm cycle to .75.

You are testing enough for TR, have you considered it? Is it possible to do away with the dry food? The TR protocol data showed that cats fed exclusively low carb wet food had higher remission rates. Additionally, dry food is high carb (with rare exception) and can take longer to get out of the system, thus you will have a lot more fluctuations with dry food in the mix and it might be frustrating to achieve regulation. The odds of remission are again improved if regulation is achieved in the first 4 months since diagnosis, take advantage of that magic window you are in right now, the time is precious.

TR will get Nam-kha in a better range sooner than SLGS, but of course, the choice is yours. Reduction number for TR is below 50, reduction number for SLGS is below 90. The “healing range” for a cat’s pancreas (and other organs and systems) is between 50-120.

6. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Thank you for all that information! I'm still learning and making mistakes. Yes, she was fine at 43! But I freaked out and gave her syrup.

I can surely do the TR protocol. Is it alright if I can only test 3-4 times a day when I'm working?

I'm in the process of getting rid of dry food, but Nam-kha loves it, so I'm slowly reducing the amount of dry food and increasing the wet. I bought some good low carbs wet food at PetValu, she's very picky so I'll have to try a few and see what she eats. She's not fond of the Pro Plan DM wet food she has right now, but she's eating it.

Nam-kha is passed the 4 months since diagnosis, she was diagnosed last year in March. But we started to test only after the two hypos. Before that, we were following our vet. We had to do a curve every three months and we would feed her according to our vets instructions (1/4 cup of DM dry food and 1/2 of DM wet per day. I was told that Nam-kha could not go hypo if I was feeding her just before shooting. But as you can see, it worked for a year and then... :/

I think I'm going to try TR, I want her to feel better and to be regulated. But at the same time, it's really scary for me when I'm thinking that at +1 she was at 184 and that I'm not home to monitor her.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.