05/10 Mom-mom AMPS 467

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mom-Mom, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom-Mom

Mom-Mom Member

So Mom-mom looks so much better. She can actually can close her mouth :smile: :D . Her fur even looks shinier than it did before. Her AMPS was a little high but hopefully that will even out eventually too. The vet said that the last time she was there (beginning of March) she was only 4 pounds, now she is 7.5. I am so proud of her, she was (besides the one incident) such an angel at the vet. I do think the vet is gonna have to take that other piece of the tooth out. She keeps on wiping the side of her face with her paw, like it bothers her. I don't know if it is a habit because of the bad tooth being there for so long or what. But, if it is the other half of the tooth, I will get that taken care of too. The vet is working with me as far as the money is concerned, I am very grateful. Well, Good Day to all.

2. Tina & Rocky

Tina & Rocky Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,

I'm not sure if you saw Sienne's post in one of your condos from the Tight Regulation Lantus Land, but your Mom-Mom will definitely need to have that other part of the tooth removed from her mouth, and she is going to need a root canal as well.

I had a rescue cat, Jomo, who also had a broken tooth in her mouth. My vet, being a cat dentist, knew that the entire tooth from the root up would need to be removed. Mom-mom needs the root of this rotten tooth removed. It is not likely that your problem is solved just by the vet yanking out a piece of a broken tooth. If you think about it, it wouldn't be solved if you had a broken tooth yanked from your mouth either.

Mom-mom is going to need to be anesthetized to remove the remaining portion of that rotten tooth and to perform a root canal. It is INCREDIBLY painful!!

Have you ever had a root canal, or had to have a cavity filled? Would you do this without any pain medication for yourself? It does hurt your Mom-mom just as much to have this work done inside of her mouth. Please make sure to get her the appropriate pain medication. Buprenor is the best one for cats.

If you don't get the root of this rotten tooth taken care of PDQ it is highly probably that she will next develop an infection. That will make this entire difficult to take care of at that point.

Mom-mom is letting you know that the tooth problem has not gone away because she is still swiping at the side of her mouth. She's in pain, Laura.

I would make another appointment with your vet, ASAP, to get that tooth and root removed as soon as you have time to do it. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.