05/27 Willow AMPS 101, +2 72, +3 76 LABS Uploaded

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by nslade001, May 27, 2019.

1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Willow isn't feeling the best again today, but these ups and downs seem to be par for the course; I'd feel a lot better if I knew the cause. I'd sort of been putting the lethargy/inappetence down to the CRF diagnosed while we were in Ontario, but now the most recent bloodwork (including SDMA) indicates she isn't in CRF. I've uploaded the labs to her SS, if anyone could look please and let me know if anything stands out? I'm wondering about the anaemia, the vet didn't even mention her CBC to me (but we were discussing so much other stuff it just got overlooked), I'm waiting for her to return my call so we can discuss that.

Also, I currently don't have her on the aventiclav (sp) for UTI, I gave the one tablet and she had the low numbers dive (down to 2.1) with vomiting (hopefully just from the gravy and treats), and I've been holding off. I thought the tech said they didn't do a slide (on the urine) and the Idexx results I got indicate there *may* be rods; yet the vet strongly indicated there was an infection when I brought up FIC. So again, waiting to speak to the vet to see if there was an actual exam done by the tech, or just the Idexx.

I'm going to tag @Marje and Gracie because you seem to be the go-to when looking at labs :) So I'm hoping you'll see if anything stands out to you...I hope I uploaded them so they're easily readable. Home labs have been done inclinic with the idexx machine, while the ontario lab was sent out to antech, so there are different reference numbers; I highlighted the idexx columns so they'd stand out.

But of course, I'd love it if anyone who'd care to would peek at her labs and let me know what you think!

Thanks so much, with love, Nikki

ETA also the vet mentioned she'd like to put her on Semintra since it always brings the BUN/Crea levels down in her experience, even though there's no proteinuria....the Ontario vet had mentioned it because of the possible proteinuria. I'd like to keep meds down if possible, and we may have improved her levels by mixing in low phos foods. Thoughts?

PS also, does anyone know if there's been a cat that was tightly regulated on TR that switched to SLGS? I'm trying to figure out if I could test less on SLGS, and would love to see how others have done it (ie see their SS, I'm very visual).

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I just have a few minutes for a cursory review. I’ve got a family emergency and just trying to figure out when I can get out of Tucson to SC.

She’s got something going on with her liver, gall bladder, etc. She has elevations in her liver enzymes. The ALT is a mild elevation but combined with the GGT, I would check with my vet mostly because she’s had a huge jump between her last labs and now even considering the difference in labs. She is also anemic. Her HCT should be above 40% and it’s 29%. I would agree that the lower USG and the slightly elevated BUN and creatinine on the high end of normal would indicate early CKD but the SDMA being normal is befuddling.

CKD cats do tend towards anemia so you probably want to get her started on B vitamins. I don’t have time, right now, to look at Semintra but her levels (BUN/creatinine) aren’t so high yet. Phosphorus has definitely improved as has calcium.

you might want to dig around Tanya’s about the Semintra and she also has a great section on anemia and vitamin B supplementation. I’m really sorry I don’t have time to link all that right now. I hope she’ll start feeling better. you might want to discuss calcitriol with @JoyBee&Ravan. She’s had some good luck with it and Willow’s calcium levels aren’t too high to use it; but you do have to keep an eye on it because calcitriol can raise calcium and ionized calcium.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

4. nslade001

Please don't apologize, marje ...I can hardly believe you took the time to look at our SS and respond, with an emergency in the offing... I hope things turn around for you and your family, and will be thinking of you with love. I will certainly bring these issues up with my vet and research more, especially Tanya's wonderful site. @JoyBee&Ravan , I will be asking you later about your experience with calcitriol, after I have some time to look into it, I hope you don't mind!
    Willow is feeling much better this evening, up on the couch and looking for food :)
    Love to all, nikki

5. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to hear Willow is feeling better :)

6. Marje and Gracie

@nslade001

Nikki...I’m still here in Tucson; my DBIL, in S.C., is in hospital hospice and not expected to live through the week but I’m waiting until my sister is ready for me to go out there. She has my nieces with her in the hospital.

Anyway, I’m ready to go at a moments notice so had time to look a little more into Semintra (Telmisarten). It’s a heart med, like benazepril which is also given for proteinuria. As a side effect, it can increase the creatinine and BUN so I’m not sure why your vet thought it would be good to give her to lower them. IMHO and from what I’ve read, if she’s not proteinuric as evidenced by an abnormal urine protein:creatinine ratio, I wouldn’t give it to my cat.

nslade001 likes this.
  7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

@Marje and Gracie I'm so sorry about your DBIL. Sending prayers for you and your family. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. nslade001

@Marje and Gracie , I'm sorry to hear about your dbil; thinking of you and your family with love. :bighug: Thanks so much for taking the time to look into Semintra...It definitely doesn't sound like the right thing for Willow at this time. With love, Nikki.

9. Marje and Gracie

Thank you, Carla:bighug:

You’re welcome, Nikki and thank you for your prayers.:bighug:

nslade001 likes this.