05/29/18 Texas Gizmo PMPS=197, +2=161, +4=164, +11=210

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

05/28

AMPS=200

IM visit this morning @ 10:30a. I will admit, I am scared.

Off to take my shower and then get his paperwork in order.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vetty vines for Gizmo and prayers for you. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  3. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending vetty vines :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Vetty vines for Gizmo today:bighug:. Be nice and sweet, dear fella. ;)
    This morning is civie Spunky’s ear-polyp recheck, too. Hope she will be nice and sweet, too, as she can be quite “demonstrative,” too.
    Vines for a good day for all :bighug::bighug:

5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers to you and Gizmo , Lizzie :bighug:❤️ . The IM report will be positive and helpful :bighug:

6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Sending Vines and prayers and hugs!!!

7. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding more good kitty & positive news vines! :bighug:

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

More vetty vines! Update when you can.

9. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Paws crossed for a good Vetty visit.

10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vetty vines for Gizmo today.

11. Beth 73

Sending prayers for great Spunky report , Sina ❤️:bighug: @HWright

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  12. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Lots of vetty vines for Gizmo and :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you.

13. LizzieInTexas

Still at IM. Doing full BW, urinalysis, ultrasound of abdomen and heart. They have already taken him back.

There is still blood in urine because he pee'd on the towel in the carrier and it is pink.

14. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more vetty vines :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Massive vetty vines for Gizmo! I know you are scared, but I feel confident they will figure out what’s going on and hopefully he will be on some antibiotics and feeling so much better soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 likes this.
  16. Stacy & Asia

As much as that’s not a good thing, at least it is happening while he is at the vet so they have some evidence. Way better than “my cat keeps doing this” and then they don’t do at the vet, right? :rolleyes:

Beth 73 likes this.
  17. HWright

Vetty vines and yes, as Stacey sez, better that they see the pee evidence for themselves.

Stacy & Asia and Beth 73 like this.
  18. Beth 73

Prayers and hugs and all good things coming to you and Gizmo right now, Lizzie :bighug:❤️

19. LizzieInTexas

Update....
    This is from memory so I may get some "terms" wrong or not quite right. The IM will be emailing the write up later today and the labs/urinalysis results tomorrow (hopefully).

Gizmo was left in the carrier while I gave history and all info and concerns to the IM (about 30 min). We reviewed all his labs, meds, supplements, eating habits, drinking habits, and LB behavior. The IM then wanted to do a physical exam. Physical exam went as well as could be expected. Gizmo was muzzled as usual (at my request) and settled down except for the vocal growling/hissing. I was able to quiet him down while the doc listened to his heart and lungs. Weight at their place was 11# 8oz. After physical exam doc remarked that he was in good physical condition and was not dehydrated. Eyes and fur were in good condition.

Came back with estimate and recommendations of US of heart/abdomen, full BW and urinalysis. ~$1,000 (which I didn't think was too bad). They said they could do it today (right then). Sedation would be involved. I gave my concerns with sedation (as a precaution) and gave the go ahead.

US of heart showed a little thickening of the muscle but no enlargement. So there is mild heart disease but no recommendation for any heart meds at this time.

US of abdomen was unremarkable and no changes from the last two (the first on was done by them/BluePearl in Nov 2017). No changes to thickness of intestines, kidneys were NOT enlarged, pancreas was enlarged but given the chronic pancreatitis this was not out of the ordinary. No indication from US of kidney infection but still not ruled out.

Bladder - there is a spot that has blood flow to it. It is small but of concern. Per IM - it could be cancer but he didn't emphasis this. Treatment, if cancer, wouldn't be an option as it would "destroy" the kidneys. He is taking a wait-and-see and wants the BW and urinalysis results. Basically, we will treat symptoms if necessary. I did not ask what it could be if it was NOT cancer but again, he wasn't too concerned except that it had blood flow to it but did say something about UTI/kidney infection in relation to it (IDK).

They examined his mouth while sedated and there was nothing alarmingly wrong or of concern on visual exam.

They got a blood pressure after the US/urinalysis just as he was coming out of sedation - 130! And they trimmed his nails really well :p

20. Shoeskitty-GA

Sounds like a good visit to me. Glad to read this!

21. LizzieInTexas

I think so.

Forgot to mention that the IM is very interested to see what the HCT level is and if it is low again, its relationship to the lethargy.

22. Shoeskitty-GA

When will the BW results be in?

23. LizzieInTexas

Tomorrow. Lab (Antech?) is right next door. I think they are running a culture on the urine as well so that will 3-4 days on that but I should have the initial results tomorrow.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  24. Shoeskitty-GA

That's great!

25. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice report from the IM!

26. Stacy & Asia

So they are waiting for the culture to decide what to do about the blood in the urine? But it sounds like they may treat anyway even if nothing grows? This is all pretty good stuff, nothing stands out or seems too crazy, but sounds like they are willing to help him. He’s on meds for BP already, right? I’m curious to see his HCT too. What did you think of the IM? Less dismissive than the vet that passed you along it sounds. I’m glad he was mildly sedated and they were able to give him a good once over. :bighug:

27. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a reasonable report. Hope Gizmo is getting over the indignities well.

28. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Glad it all went well

29. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

30. Beth 73

All in all , a good report Lizzie ❤️ Glad it’s over with :bighug::)

31. Chubba (GA)

Chubba (GA) Well-Known Member

So happy that the IM visit went well.

32. LizzieInTexas

I think more on the BW (specifically WBC) and urinalysis to see if uti. I think the culture is "just because" and hoping something shows to indicate infection of some sort.

Yes. Amlodipine 0.625/day.

I really, really liked him. I prefaced the whole appointment with "Look, I know he is 15yo, has a lot of issues... I am not looking for the magic pill or fountain of youth for him, only to provide the best QOL for what time he has left" So I kinda set the tone right up front.

I just think Gizmo, with his many issues, were a bit out of his comfort level. The wife Dr. Cole (Jen) is wonderful, the hubby (Dr. Wil Cole) not so much :rolleyes:. They are still writing prescription (etc) for me so they haven't completely abandoned me. :D

Shoeskitty-GA and Stacy & Asia like this.
  33. Stacy & Asia

In hope the BW & urinalysis give some sign of infection, it would be really, really nice if something grew in the culture too so they can pinpoint what antibiotic would be most effective, but with CKD and FD on the scene doing double duty diluting urine, that’s like looking for a unicorn and I won’t hold my breath. :rolleyes:

That was a great way to approach it and I’m glad he was on board for that. Yay for IM vet win! :) I guess it would be asking too much if Gizmo liked him! :joyful: Asia likes anybody and everybody, but only if she meets them at our house. If she has to be brought to the meeting, they are automatically in the suspect persons pile!

I’m glad the Ms. Dr. Cole is still on team Gizmo and can give you Rx and things. That is quite helpful. It is a big ask to say “here’s my geriatric cat with 50 issues at the same time, what to do?” I have to remind myself of that sometimes, but the right answer probably should be “time for an IM” and thus far it hasn’t been suggested by my vets.

Hope he’s feeling so much better soon! FWIW as I said in my condo, my vet said bladder cancer is very rare in cats. :bighug:

34. LizzieInTexas

PMPS=197

History:
    AMPS=200, +2=214, +4=180, +5=192, +11=218

35. LizzieInTexas

Link to preliminary report here <click>

Here is the notes re: the bladder:
    Impression: The lesion in the urinary bladder is persisting and contains blood flow at its base. This may be an indicator of a soft tissue mass or polyp with blood clot associated with the surface. Although it possible this lesion may purely be a blood clot from previous cystocentesis, the duration of its presence is more worrisome for an actual polyp or mass.

36. HWright

Vines and hope you both can relax tonight. Long day for you both.:bighug:

37. LizzieInTexas

What did the vet say about Spunky's polyp? Why do you have to go back in a week?

38. HWright

They’re trying to get a really clear look see at the inner ear drum, where the polyp had been dormant and not growing for quite some time. Although there was less pus in her ear today than at last visit, the microscopic of it still shows what they describe as “degraded neutrophils” = bacterial infection still present according to them. Relief vet did good and gentle deep clean and flush but still couldn’t see all the way in bc is pus still way in there. She did see that Spunky had scratched her ear. Ugh.

39. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like a good vet visit overall. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

40. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

41. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

I'm heartened to hear this. By the way, as to the thingy on the bladder is it? Did I not read recently, right here, that bladder cancer is extremely rare?

Your IM vet sounds terrific. I think you're right about your regular guy vet. Since he couldn't treat nor diagnose what was going on, he just wanted you and Gizmo to , well, vanish.;)

Hugs for all tests to come back indicating Gizmo's spiffy condition:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.