06/21 Shmee AMPS 142, +4 104, PMPS 255, blood panel results

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Hi L&L,

Sorry it took so long for an update, I have so much going on plus overtime at work. I just got his senior blood panel back and inputted the data. His liver levels are totally fine, so his liver is functioning properly and the Denamarin is no longer needed which is good news :). The SDMA level is a 9 (regular levels 0-14). Wondering if this tells us anything? (I think it was @Stacy & Asia who told me to get this test, so I am curious to hear her opinion but even more so I am curious how they are doing because I don't seem to remember them posting lately??). The only consistent high level has had is the Albumin, which my vet says is a blood protein and high numbers are normal and is not much to worry about. The potassium was almost to the edge of the high side on the IDEAA scale but not FDMBs, and his cholesterol has gone up from 176 in February to 290 o_O.. My vet didn't mention it, I think because it was not considered high on the IDEAA scale, but high on FDMB's. It seems like a large jump. Oh yes also the "anion gap" was a little high, not sure what that means.

As for my vet visit yesterday … I put the Gabapetin powder in a little bit of food and Shmee ate about half. No idea why, especially after fasting all day. I did not want to then give him another pill after that because I didn't want him to have too much... so I just said that's the best we can do. I did not realize it but my vet only wanted him in for the blood, so we did not talk about TR and Somolgyi which was good. The rest was a horrible experience. We waited in the lobby for about 20 minutes, and in that time an old couple came in with their very old dog. I heard the lady tell the counter that they wanted her cremated. The old man was holding back tears, visibly very upset, made me upset (I am a very emotional person as it is, I couldn't take this!) so I started crying (ok I tried my best to keep my composure so we will just say I "shed a few tears") and told him I was very sorry. He mustered up "thanks" and went on to hug his dog. Hit me right in the gut. As soon as that happened my vet comes crashing out of the door saying she cannot do it, she cannot get his blood because he is totally acting crazy kicking and biting even with the towel, and wouldn't let them put the muzzle on. She said I can try to help if I want but its probably not going to happen. I walked in because I definitely did not want to do this again. My poor guy... they had towels on top of him and he looked absolutely terrified. I held him for a minute, then put him back down and put the muzzle on myself, and helped them hold him down and kept talking to him the whole time to calm him down. They said he was much better with me in there, but he was still horrible - hissing, growling.. I felt SO bad. She finally got all the blood she needed. Oh yeah - that whole time I was talking to him and trying to calm him down, my vet was trying to talk to me about how I need to cut back to 2 cans of food a day because he was at 15.6 pounds. Last time he was 15.8 so I thought that would be a good drop.... but it was a horrible time for a conversation so I just nodded along.

Whew!! I am so glad that day is over. And the blood test results actually say no lipemia, so the MSU tests should be totally fine like you all said it would be. I going to look into his higher blood test results, but I would love any input you all would have :)

Vines to all that need them! :bighug:

2. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

That sounds traumatic. Maybe from now on they will let you be there for the lab draws.
    If I were you I would continue to nod along. You’re getting great advice and guidance here. I’ll be checking back for your MSU results.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

I sympathise with you. My cat gets extremely terrified in the car & at the vets. My Vet lets me hold Ravan & talk to him which calms him down. (I make sure to trim his nails the day before.)

When the Tech tried to draw blood from his leg she kept poking him & missing the vein. I asked her to stop (Ravan was getting very upset) & I asked for the Vet. He drew blood from the vein in his neck. He shaves the fur a bit & it's very fast , only several seconds.

Now when ever I must have blood work done I always ask that the vet does it himself.Maybe you can ask if he knows how to draw blood from the large vein in his neck. It sounds kinda terrible but it's so much faster & not at all as stressful.
    I wonder if there is something the vet can give you to give your kitty before you go to calm him down. It can't be good to let them get so stressed out.

Amanda & Shmee and Juliet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.