07/01/18 Squallie AMPS 172, +7/130, PMPS 164

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Squallie is not doing very well. He is still very swollen, and is only eating a tiny bite here and there. Yesterday I probably only managed to get the equivalent of 1/3 of a can Fancy Feast in him.

Breaking news: the dentist just called and okayed the use of the rubber-tipped piller to get some cyproheptadine in him, so maybe he will start trying to eat a little better! He said at this point, he's more concerned with getting Squall to eat than with any slight damage that might occur to the sutures. I am very relieved!!!

2. Osha

Osha Well-Known Member

Sending more feel better vines to Squallie. I hope the meds will help him feel better so he will eat. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Ooops. I just posed in yesterday's condo. I hope you can get him to eat and get his meds into him and it won't come to a feeding tube. Sending prayers. I'm glad you heard from the dental vet.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

C'mon Squallie. Try to eat something.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Squalliesmom

I just gave him the cypro, I'll give it a little time to work and try some food. Don't know how
    much good it will do, because I think he's already hungry, but still hopeful! Fingers crossed.

ETA: There is definitely a good bit of heat in the left side of his mouth. I mentioned it to the dentist, but he didn't seem too concerned.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

7. Squalliesmom

Well, he's eaten almost a 3 oz can of FF between breakfast and now! Being able to give him the appy pill really helped! The dentist told me he wouldn't do that with a less-hands on pet-owner, but that he thought I knew what I was doing, lol; yeah, I've been doing this for a while, now. He also complemented me on my control of Squallie's diabetes, which did make me feel good. :) He was surprised that I had current numbers on Squall, and asked if I had access to a way to test him; I told him I certainly did, and that I test him every day. I guess he hasn't encountered that too often. :rolleyes:

I'm so relieved that Squallie finally ate something!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Continued vines for Squallie!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  9. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Do you have and marshmallow root or slippery elm bark? Maybe a slurry drizzled in his mouth/on his gums might help? IDK, just a suggestion.it is suppose to have anti-inflamitory properties

Squalliesmom and Beth 73 like this.
  10. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

So glad sweet Squallie man is eating !!! Wonder if the anesthetic/gas has also messed with his belly as it can with us ? Sending prayers for his mouth to heal quickly and discomfort to cease :bighug: And for his ability to easily eat to return fully and quickly :bighug::bighug::bighug: Hugs and peace to your heart , Lucy :bighug:❤️

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Glad you both are feeling better today! I know these first few days after a major procedure are tough. I hope there are at least incremental improvements in his eating each day that you can see in his SS to know he is on track and healing. Will the dentist be doing any follow-up or recheck, or does he want your regular vet to do that? It would be good to know that there are no signs of infection given the swelling / heat you have seen.

I'm glad the dentist recognized the quality of care you are giving him. I was surprised to learn that the standard of care published for vets re: feline DM does not include home testing. That is one of the big reasons why this isn't very common. Sad but until that standard changes even those who are committed to treat DM won't benefit from home testing until they learn from a community like this.

Squalliesmom, Jill & Jade and Beth 73 like this.
  12. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

I happened upon your thread today and am adding in positive energy for you and your very beautiful Squallie!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Yo Deputy Squallie, The Lagoon Crew sends lots of vines for you to feel better and to eat without pain. Ready for another batch of my chicken soup? We'll have a party on your first day back at work.
    ~ LagoonMeister and Chef Rusty

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Tracey!

15. Squalliesmom

I do have some SEB, I may give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

16. Squalliesmom

Thank you, dear Beth and Elmo! ❤️

17. Squalliesmom

He gets a check up with the dentist in two weeks, or sooner, if necessary. They said I could also take him to my regular vet instead, if I preferred, but the check up with the dentist is a freebie, so that's where we're going, lol. Also, I figure he better knows what's going on in that mouth, since he did the work. I have to say, this dentist has been really good about following up with Squallie; he has called each morning to see how he's doing, and he will call again tomorrow.

I agree, those standards need to change!

18. Squalliesmom

Thank you, Jill! :bighug:

Jill & Jade likes this.
  19. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

:bighug: indeed!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  20. Squalliesmom

T'anks, LagoonMeister Rusty! Da chicken noodle soup sounds yummy, and easy on da gums! I'ze lookin' forward to da party!
    Dep. Squallie

21. Squalliesmom

Well, dinner isn't quite as successful as brunch was, but he's trying. Still pawing at his mouth, but I do think the swelling has gone down a bit, and the one side doesn't feel as hot as it did before. He got a skinny 1.75U tonight, the dose last night wasn't even close to enough, and he is eating better now.

22. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Yeah !

Squalliesmom likes this.
  23. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Swollen/Heat. What do you mean. His face?

24. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

:bighug:Keep that happy appy coming, Squallie! Gotta get better to chase your IM’s. They’re just itching to play with ya!
    Sootie’s Tribe and Bean :bighug:

25. Beth 73

Happy Monday , Squallie and Lucy:bighug: Looking forward to today’s improving report :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  26. Squalliesmom

Yes, his face/jaw. he's less puffy-looking on the sides of his face now, still fairly swollen around his nose and his lower jaw still seems puffy to me. He had had a good bit of heat in the left side, which worried me, but it has gone away now. He's trying to eat his breakfast now; he'll stop and paw at his mouth after every couple of bites, but at least he's coming back after a few minutes and trying again. My sweet boy.

HWright likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.