07/03/18 Squallie AMPS 109, +2/76, +8/80, PMPS 96

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Well, the eating isn't going so well today. Due to a minor household emergency, we got a late start - by about 1 1/2 hrs. He's only eaten a few licks of his breakfast and lunch. Still pawing at his mouth every time he gets food in it. Today is back to being about as bad as he was the first day after surgery. I was afraid to give him much insulin, so he only got 1 fat 1U this morning.

I am very concerned that he's not eating again. :(:(

2. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Yikes - Not sure what to suggest. Hope it is just a situation of being off from his routine with the emergency today. Hope everything there is OK now.

My first thought is to prepare for the Holiday - I wanted to double check that you have the supplies you need for the liver shake and a way to get it into him if needed. I know the rubber tip syringe was OK'd for meds, but do you have a way to feed either the shake or a food smoothie if needed? If not maybe pick up a larger syringe and feeding tube (which you can cut down for the rubber tip) if needed.

I hope it is just "feeling different" to him. With pain meds on board, I'm thinking it just feels different with no teeth. Have you been able to visually inspect the area to make sure it is starting to heal?

Healthy appetite and feel good vines on the way!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Squallie eats better for you today. Sending prayers.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Carol. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I have all the ingredients, and some large syringes that I can use for feeding. I also have plenty of tubing, if I need it. I have not been able to visually inspect his mouth, they caution against it in the first week as it can pull on the stitches to lift his lips. I have been keeping watch for any indications of infection, including smell. So far, so good. Today was his first day without pain meds, but when he wouldn't eat I gave him a smaller dose that I had left over from the last time his vet gave him bupe. Didn't help the eating, though.

5. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Carla! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Lucy I hope Squallie’s appetite picks up.
    I do have quite a supply of pre-packaged 3ml/3cc oral syringes. Glad to send you some to have on hand. Though with tomorrow being a holiday, the earliest I can mail them is Thursday morning.
    You might find that Squallie resonates with the liver shake and will eat some on his own. With Azalea, often a bit of liver shake appetizer whetted her appetite to eat other food, too.
    ❤️

Eta: I see that you’ve posted that have plenty of oral syringes on hand. Yay. Glad to send you some anyway.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Appy vines for Squallie. I hope he eats for you soon.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Big ole yum yum eat em up appy prayers for our favorite Squallie man :bighug:❤️ Did you get the a/d yet, Lucy ? :bighug::bighug::bighug: To you , that your heart can rest as he continues to recuperate :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom and LizzieInTexas like this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sutures must be bothering him. When do they come out? They are probably the dissolving ones though. Healing vines sent.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  10. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug:

Sending tons of appy/feel better vines :cat:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Come on, Squallie - eat for momma

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

While bupe can help pain it also can take away the appetite. Have you given any cyproheptadine today? Appy and feel better vines.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Still won't eat. I tried pureeing his food in the blender till it's soup, I tried the liver shake, he just takes a couple of licks, paws at his face, and walks away. I'm at my wits end; he hasn't eaten anything today!

ETA: He had his Cyproheptadine both at breakfast and dinner time. He IS hungry, he just doesn't want to eat because of his mouth.

14. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Will he lick you finger or a spoon? If not, I'd be tempted to syringe a small amount in an effort to "prime the pump".

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Can squallie have Zyrtec? When I was trying to get Abby to eat more, it was suggested to give her 1/4 of a 10mg tablet and it got her to eat about 3 cans of ff a day, she was loosing weight

Squalliesmom likes this.
  16. Squalliesmom

He's very hungry; he starts eating with great gusto but after a couple bites or licks he starts pawing at his mouth and walks away from the food. Then when I offer it again he turns his head or walks away again. :( I don't know what to do but to try and force feed him. I really hate to do that to him.

17. Squalliesmom

He gets Cyproheptadine, which is basically the same thing. It works, he's hungry. He doesn't want to eat because something in his mouth is really bothering him.

18. Bellasmom

Poor thing, sending hugs and healing vines, do they know what is bothering him, you might have said but I missed it

Squalliesmom likes this.
  19. Squalliesmom

Thanks. :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    No, he hasn't been back yet. We thought it was just the sutures making his mouth feel different, but I don't know. It's his lower jaw, and it is really bugging him when he eats. He falls over trying to use both paws to paw at his mouth, poor baby.

20. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Sina! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's his appetite that is the problem; he's hungry and wants to eat, but it bothers or hurts his mouth, so he stops. :(

21. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Tracey! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Beth! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    No, the a/d was supposed to be delivered today but it wasn't. :(

23. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Paula! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Yes, they are the dissolving sutures. I wonder how long they take to dissolve?

24. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Could it be pain? Since he has eaten post dental, the only thing different today is pain meds right?

25. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Lizzie! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  26. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Carol! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    He was getting 1.5 ml of bupe 2X daily. Today I gave him some that I had left over from an other occasion, but they are 1 ml doses instead of 1.5.

27. Olive & Paula

I imagine 7-10 days. But I don't know. Mine was 8 days when they pulled my tooth. Husband was out within 24 hrs, but I think it was just the tails of the suture.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  28. Squalliesmom

He came back later and did eat a little bit, maybe 1/4 of what was in his dish. I'm hoping he'll come back again and eat some more. I think it was probably because the bupe kicked in. I only have one syringe left, though, if he needs more tomorrow. Of course, this would have to happen on a holiday! :arghh:

29. Bellasmom

Ahhhhhh I’m soooo sorry he is going through this, :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:hope he feel better very very soon, poor baby:bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  30. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

I understand. Was similar with Azalea after her eye removal surgery and then her almost FME surgery and when stomatitis continued to flare.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  31. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Well poo. I would assume pain and treat as such. Hopefully, if you can knock the pain down, with the hunger and cypro it will allow him to eat. :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  32. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Squallie will feel better today and be able to eat more. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  33. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

We are sending healing vines and prayers to you and Squallie...I hope he heals fast and gets better soon...not being able to eat is no fun at all :( Sending hugs to you both...:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  34. Olive & Paula

Try half a dose, it will help some yet let you have some left until you can get more. Here is a crazy thought. How about leaving an ice cube out for him to lick at. Its cold and might make him feel better. Maybe frozen foodsickle. Didn't Karen's Leo take quite some time to eat again after his FME?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  35. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe a meat broth cube? Or maybe just some fresh meat broth that he can drink?

36. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

:( I hope that whatever it is that feels odd for the Stripey Man stops shortly. Perhaps it all aches somewhat at the moment.

I like the ice cube idea.

For L :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.