07/25 Mowgli AMPS 245 +8 160 +11.5 146 PMPS 164 +2.5 72 + 3 79 +4 101 +5 140

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Jul 25, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

07/24 Condo

Nice Yellow PS for Mowg today! I hope this consistent dosing shows us great things ;)

Everyone in our house is thinking of @Tucker and Patty today! We know Tucker is a fighter and he is fighting with all his might to get better! We’re behind you here!!

Nyx is still hating Mowgli even after 4 months living together but last night I caught a rare pic of them ‘co-relaxing’ I’ll take it. I hope she warms up to him more soon. I’m using feliway around the house with little success and used Jackson Galaxy’s introduction technique to introduce them. Does anyone have any tips to get Nyx to warm up to Mowgli? I think she might be really scared of him. I have some leftover Zylkene from when Mowgli flew out I was considering.

The kitty babies are SO cute! Nyx is above and Mowgli below. Second pic is Nyxie being a total cutie-baby <3<3

A99F113F-58B8-476D-BDBB-44D4F9FE83C4.jpeg
    9FBB3E03-FDC9-480B-9107-531980F3A8E1.jpeg

2. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

They're both adorable Amanda! Too bad they haven't bonded yet but they will, just give it more time. Cat's are weird, it would be nice if they were more like dogs and either bond right away or have it out, figure out who's boss and then get on with life. :rolleyes: Hope you have a really good day!

AmandaE likes this.
  3. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

They are ADORABLE.

Okay, I have zero tips for feline diabetes, being such a noob, but we used Jackson Galaxy's techniques to introduce Chloe to Perry, so I am right there with you. First question: Do they play around each other?

AmandaE and Sue and Luci like this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

How adorable. I hope they keep making progress and get along soon.

AmandaE likes this.
  5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Love the pics! How sweet!!! They look so comfy

AmandaE likes this.
  6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Gosh, they're beautiful Amanda! I feel your pain with the cat-coziness thing...it's pretty difficult when both of them think they're the boss. I've had some cats that just could never get along...and others, well they just fell in and said, hey, here's a new buddy for me to cuddle with... I never could figure it out - some how they (for the most part) managed to live in the same house - occasionally there was some growling and hissing -- usually enough of a warning to keep the 'intruder' at a distance...best of luck to you on that.

:)

7. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

I love black cats! What a couple of beauties!
    Jackson is a bully:nailbiting: and I’ve tried a lot of things to help. I isolated him when he was aggressive at first when I was away at work or sometimes at night. I got a giant cat condo for my other cats to run to. I set up additional litter boxes, including an elevated one (bought a coffee table on Craigslist) because Jackson was ambushing people on the toilet :banghead:. I also held a lot of “treat parties” when they were acting upset. I just try to change the tone by getting everybody in close proximity and enjoying treats. It’s working! They’re getting along a lot better, but that means Jackson isn’t biting the other guys or attacking them on the litter box, so we had a long way to go. Feliway is definitely helping us.

One more thing... no yelling or punishment.

Penelope and Mačka and AmandaE like this.
  8. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, two beautiful kitties!!
    I've had some cats who got along very well right away and others who never did! They tolerate the newcomer! Zoé is still growling and hissing when Pépé is coming too close to her ... after 12 years of living together!:rolleyes: You might have some luck with Mowgli and Nyx, they're not too far apart on the picture; give them some time!
    Have a great day, weekend is coming!

AmandaE likes this.
  9. AmandaE

Thanks Sonia! they're both so awesome... I wish they knew that about each other!

Maybe someday they will get along, at least for now they can live in the same house :p
    Awesome that you used the same technique! I have tried to play with them in the same place but unfortunately when Mowgli gets playful he wants to "play" with Nyx... physically... Imagine how that goes over :rolleyes:. I found they were a bit better when they were first introduced but slowly I feel like Nyx is backsliding and honestly I dont know if I have the time or energy to "re-introduce" I should try a little harder to get them to play separately in the same space :)

Did you find Chloe and Perry reacted well to JG's method?

10. AmandaE

Thanks Carla! I am encouraged that at least they can sit so closely together, but in that situation even if I tried to pet Nyx she would get stressed, growl, and run away. So when she is sitting closely and apparently calmly beside him I try to just leave her alone... it's hard for me because I have such cute aggression to super cute things... like relaxing cats with cute faces :p

11. AmandaE

Thanks Jamie! The theme of my house is 'comfy' So I'm glad that they're channeling that :)

12. AmandaE

Thanks for sending some luck my way Sue :D Yes, I feel sorry for Nyx, she has social anxiety in general, we moved from a 1 bedroom condo to a full house last year though and I find that shes a little more comfortable around other humans now with the extra space. She has basically been a solo cat for her whole life (8 years), so introducing another cat was a total shock to her. Mowgli is kind of oblivious since he grew up with his sister, 2 cat life is easy for him... but he is kind of too playful with Nyx and can bully her from time to time.

I hope I have more luck with Mowgli and Nyx. I just feel so bad for Nyx since she didnt sign up for a diabetic cat room mate :p. I hope at least that she can de-stress just a bit more, she even growls at me more often, and I am sure it is because of Mowgli being in the house stressing her out. Poor girl. I am totally encouraged though when they sit in such close proximity... fingers crossed their relationship improves... I hope she doesnt back slide more when we take Mowgli home with us to NS for 2 weeks.

Can't wait for the weekend! It takes so long to get here and goes by too fast :)

13. AmandaE

Thanks Margie! I think they're such good looking kitties :D

Mowgli can be kind of a bully too so that doesn't help. I have a couple of cat trees that Mowgli can't climb (you can see it in the back of the pic by the curtains) so that Nyx can escape him and like you I have put in an extra litterbox for Nyx. Although, thankfully Mowgli doesn't really pick on Nyx too much, only if she is hissing / growling, or when hes super playful. Feliway is not relieving her stress at all and I've had it going in our main rooms for a couple of months now, BOTH versions. Ah well. I should try treats with Nyx, that might get her to chill.

I definitely don't yell or punish, that's why it's hard for me to have both cats playing in the same room ( as per the Jackson Galaxy method) because when he gets playful, Mowgli just wants to play with Nyx... she isnt there yet :p

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  14. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

SO beautiful!! It is a great sign that they are in the same "space". There is a great book, "Cat vs Cat" by feline behaviorist Pam Johnson-Bennett that I purchased years ago & it was extremely helpful. It helped us better understand the situation & what to do. Here is the link:

https://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/cat-vs-cat/

AmandaE likes this.
  15. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

If it were me, I think I'd try to play with Nyx separately to build her confidence. Another thing you could try is playing with Mowg first to wear him out before bringing Nyx into the play so he's not as motivated to wrastle. :) Regardless, you can always take small steps back in the JG method that don't involve starting over completely, because yes, that is totally exhausting.

16. AmandaE

Thanks Amy! I will check it out :D

Great suggestion, Mowgli is old too so he gets tired easily... very smart :)

ETA: Mowgli also doesn't understand lasers - so that is a toy that Nyx can play with without him gaining interest :p

Perry & Jenn and Sue and Luci like this.
  17. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

What an adorable picture, they are precious.
    Just the fact that they are in the same picture is reassuring that they can be together.
    I too have had a similar situation. I had a female Siamese and thought that she would love a buddy. Nope, was I ever wrong. I searched all over for another Siamese, hello Yoyo, and I found a 7 wk old kitten from a beautiful litter. Well, Wontonee, my female wanted to attack the kitten and she started to growl and make terrible noises at him and me. I was afraid of my own cat, not good. But somehow I did get the two of them together, lots of hard work and lots of play toys in a small area so that if I had a problem I could get to either one real quick. And well they were BEST friends ever after for over 14 yrs. Unfortunately I lost Wontonee last November. The same weekend that Yoyo was diagnosed with diabetes.

Keep positive and hopefully they will become friends.

18. AmandaE

Some of Nyx's behaviour makes me nervous she will never accept him, but every once and a while they sit in close proximity and I am encouraged ;)

Oi, THAT is a HORRIBLE weekend, it must have been such a devastating time, it's like that saying: 'When it rains, it pours'

I really hope so! I will try some of the tips up above and hope for a change. Worst case scenario they both have plenty of space in the house to 'escape' each other, and I have many cat trees for Nyx when she wants to be 'away' from Mowgli but stay in the same room :D

Thanks for sharing your story, I am encouraged that things can change :joyful:

Sue and Luci likes this.
  19. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

It was a terrible weekend. I really never got to mourn the loss of my sweet little girl. I went into diabetic mode and became all consumed for what I had to do for Yoyo.
    And I am still consumed, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

20. AmandaE

Sometimes it's really great to have a distraction during horrible times. Learning about feline diabetes qualifies as a total distraction. Now I list 'diabetic cat' under hobbies :p

21. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

TOTAL cutie baby is true :bighug: :cat:

AmandaE likes this.
  22. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Love the black kitties!

Penelope and Mačka and AmandaE like this.
  23. AmandaE

I'm glad you agree!! I LOVE her sweet little face!!

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  24. AmandaE

Thanks Tracey! they're just the best :D

25. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Two stunners Amanda, but I'm a little biased ha ha.

Tomlin and AmandaE like this.
  26. AmandaE

Totally! Black cat fan club! There are a lot of us here!!! Mowgli's sister Rajah is also black!! When I am home in August I will try and grab a shot of her!

Tomlin and Sue and Luci like this.
  27. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Yay cat pics! What a nice looking pair :) I hope they keep warming up to each other! I haven't had great luck with Feliway either, despite the accolades it gets...

AmandaE likes this.
  28. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

(sniff) -- makes me remember my cats from high school years -- 3/4 Siamese brothers, black until you saw them in noon sun, then they were deepest dark rich brown; Chris and Cricket -- Cricket wandered away from family after I left for college -- Chris survived being hit by a car but was brain damaged -- ended his LONG life as a barn cat/stud at my aunt and uncle's dairy farm, farmers from miles around sought the kittens he'd fathered, as fantastic rodent killers .. stories are still told about "those Green cats"

29. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Well Jerry is an all black guy but his brother is a tuxedo.

Attached Files:

30. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

Oh! Are they and Mačka related?? ^^

Black cats have such a cute little nose, yummm.

Cats social behavior is quite mysterious. Mačka used to love other cats, and bonded with one baby girl that I had like no one else, and would groom her to oblivion, love bite her ears etc. But the older female cats hated him.
    Now that he is the elder (Chou-Fleur is barely 3), he's the grumpy one. But for some reason he tolerates Fabio, the neighbor's hunky cat. So, it must be a question of smells, personalities, and I am not sure we can do anything about it. Either they click or they don't. It's their choice, no matter how much feliway is spread in the air.
    Feeding them close to each other is a good method to get them to tolerate each other's presence, no competition in food!
    I also noticed that they argue when we're around. On the camera when we're out, they actually ignore each other...

AmandaE likes this.
  31. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Nice start for Mowgs! He and Nyx are so sweet, hopefully she can one day get past begrudging acceptance :joyful: Roo is so spoiled and such a mama's boy, I think I'm gonna have to stay a 1 kitty household for a while, but the urge to get another kitty is STRONG.

Have a great day Amanda ;):)

AmandaE likes this.
  32. Perry & Jenn

Perry & Jenn Member

Omg that is too funny. Mowgli just doesn't see what the big deal is here. Why chase a dot you'll never catch?!?

33. AmandaE

OMG Dierdre YES!!! Jerry looks like SUCH a ladies man in that first pic!! and even though his brother is Tuxedo...don't you find they have very similar faces!? AMAZING! So HANDSOME!!!

Jerry dutchboy likes this.
  34. AmandaE

Right! I'm so lucky :D - Honestly Feliway was such a total let down for me, I have two more diffusers and that's it...I wont purchase any more

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  35. AmandaE

I like the idea of Mowgli and Nyx having a cousin from France :D

I think you're right that it just comes down to personalities... I just feel bad for Nyx because she didn't get a say in the matter haha no regrets though, Mowgli would have had to have been put down if he didn't move out so Nyx will just have to deal ;)

Penelope and Mačka likes this.
  36. AmandaE

Definitely I wouldnt have gotten another cat if it wasn't for Mowgli's diabetes... Nyx hates everything new... /shes such a stress case!

Armish & Roo likes this.
  37. AmandaE

SO funny! it just doesnt register as something to chase... I guess hes actually the smart one since he doesnt see it as something he can catch :p

38. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Looks like she’ll get there. She’s willing to share the couch with him!

AmandaE likes this.
  39. AmandaE

Big time fingers crossed :D